Options

Best photo I never took--anyone else?

lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
edited July 30, 2010 in Street and Documentary
Ok I've been sitting on this for over 6 months and it's still bothering me.
Maybe this thread will help me get over it.

I was in the Bronx Supreme Court for work, located in a fun area for shots, right by Yankee Stadium. Anyway, I took my camera and of course had to have it checked in when I got there (it was an ordeal--I had to take the lens off, the battery out, sign papers for it, get a receipt).

Lunchtime came and there was line at the desk to get your possessions. I looked at my watch and decided against getting my camera due to the ordeal.

I started walking down the long court house stairs, heard some giggling and looked behind me and there on the steps was a newly married couple.
I was on the left side of the stairs with the entire courthouse as a backdrop, she was about 20 steps behind me and over to the right some, she had on a skintight, short wedding dress with ruffles (and it was winter) and a long veil and flowers (the freaking veil was even blowing in the wind), they were walking down the steps at an angle. Her new husband was about 3 steps behind her in low slung jeans, a Yankees jacket and baseball cap sideways, he was leering at her I tell you and he had on grills on his teeth. I mean I could have died it was such an awesome shot.

Ok, I hope I can sleep at nights again--this has really been bothering me,
and I had my 25mm lens so I could have gotten most of the court house in the shot!!! grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Anyone else with with photo regrets that never happened?
Liz A.
_________

Comments

• Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2010
    I think this was one of B.D.'s first exercises as the AIR. Leave without a camera and come back describing the perfect shot, or something of the kind.
  • Options
    edited July 28, 2010
    I do remember this exercise, purposely leaving your camera behind and then describing the scene. I believe B.D. described teens on a platform of a train.

So yes this is much the same, except I was too lazy to get my camera which makes it so much worse!

I was just wondering if a missed shot/opportunity gets under other people's skin like it has mine. I've spent an unhealthy amount of time being pissed off about it/ obsessing really--I got to thinking about it again with Patti's shot of the bride and groom and the lights and how she just missed it--but at least she got a shot even though it's not perfect.

So I'm crazy then?rolleyes1.gif
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2010
    I see shots so often that I miss or can't figure out how to take or simply can't get to the right spot quickly enough, it's driven me nuts. I take mental notes of situations that strike me and sometimes write them down. For me the question is whether the idea is insistent enough to drive me to spend the time and effort to find the right spot to try and capture it. It'll never be exactly what I've imagined, but it's a relief.
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2010
    everyday all the time :wow

In fact I'll go you one better, all my captures since June 10 are with a broken camera, really :D
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2010
    Beat yourself up if you want, but if you had taken the time to get your camera you probably wouldn't have seen the couple because they would have already left the bldg.

If you could have retrieved your camera, would it have been in your hand turned on with proper settings or turned off in your camera bag?

Could you have turned around, spotted the shot got your camera, framed, focused and shot?

Probably not.

Sam
  • Options
    edited July 28, 2010
    michswiss wrote: »
    I see shots so often that I miss or can't figure out how to take or simply can't get to the right spot quickly enough, it's driven me nuts. I take mental notes of situations that strike me and sometimes write them down. For me the question is whether the idea is insistent enough to drive me to spend the time and effort to find the right spot to try and capture it. It'll never be exactly what I've imagined, but it's a relief.

It's an affliction, I know.
    Just funny that it's this one instance that drives me insane.
    If it happened for all my shots, I'd have to put myself out of my misery.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    edited July 28, 2010
    bfjr wrote: »
    everyday all the time :wow

In fact I'll go you one better, all my captures since June 10 are with a broken camera, really :D

lol.

Did you smash your camera in a fit of anger?
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    edited July 28, 2010
    Sam wrote: »
    Beat yourself up if you want, but if you had taken the time to get your camera you probably wouldn't have seen the couple because they would have already left the bldg.

If you could have retrieved your camera, would it have been in your hand turned on with proper settings or turned off in your camera bag?

Could you have turned around, spotted the shot got your camera, framed, focused and shot?

Probably not.

Sam

Dang Sam!
    Ok for the first part--you are so right that had I gone to get my camera I would have missed the scene that's burned into my retinas. That makes me feel a little better--now I can just curse the court system for not allowing cameras.

Had I had my camera on me, I would have had a fair chance of capturing the shot. When I have my camera on me, it's always around my neck, lenscap off, usually with my finger on the on switch (this is what I do when I go out street shooting). I usually shoot in A or S mode--I don't shoot street in manual--My camera's wb is usually set for cloudy--but I shoot RAW now so it doesn't matter. So yes, had I had the camera on me, I would have probably caught some of that dynamic--maybe I would have missed the leer and the veil blowing in the breeze--but that couple was begging to be photographed. I would have gotten something for sure.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2010
    Ok I've been sitting on this for over 6 months and it's still bothering me.
    Maybe this thread will help me get over it.

I was in the Bronx Supreme Court for work, located in a fun area for shots, right by Yankee Stadium. Anyway, I took my camera and of course had to have it checked in when I got there (it was an ordeal--I had to take the lens off, the battery out, sign papers for it, get a receipt).

Lunchtime came and there was line at the desk to get your possessions. I looked at my watch and decided against getting my camera due to the ordeal.

I started walking down the long court house stairs, heard some giggling and looked behind me and there on the steps was a newly married couple.
    I was on the left side of the stairs with the entire courthouse as a backdrop, she was about 20 steps behind me and over to the right some, she had on a skintight, short wedding dress with ruffles (and it was winter) and a long veil and flowers (the freaking veil was even blowing in the wind), they were walking down the steps at an angle. Her new husband was about 3 steps behind her in low slung jeans, a Yankees jacket and baseball cap sideways, he was leering at her I tell you and he had on grills on his teeth. I mean I could have died it was such an awesome shot.

Ok, I hope I can sleep at nights again--this has really been bothering me,
    and I had my 25mm lens so I could have gotten most of the court house in the shot!!! grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Anyone else with with photo regrets that never happened?

As I say over and over and over again in my classes - ALWAYS CARRY A CAMERA. :ivar:ivar
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    misterbmisterb Banned Posts: 601 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2010
    Ahhhh- I used to work there (161st) as a Probation Officer..

Same thing just happened to me, on 57th Street... great shot- no camera!

However- there is the old Blackberry to save the day: