Options

3 from the subway platform (Lightroom 3:)

lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
edited July 30, 2010 in Street and Documentary
First Lightroom 3 shots btw.
I don't know what the hell I'm doing yet-It will take me sometime to find my way, so bare with me.

Which one works best?.

1. Flourescent lighting.
937493782_ccaBq-XL-1.jpg

937493768_iSWcW-XL.jpg

937493756_cDSa7-XL.jpg
Liz A.
_________

Comments

• Options
    rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2010
    #2 works better IF #1 is the white balance color version of the pic (it is NOT pleasing...rolleyes1.gif). #2 over #3 because the wider view and others add to the interest.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,931 moderator
    edited July 18, 2010
    I don't much care for the color either, I'm afraid, so my choice would be #2. However, I think all of them are a little too soft. I don't mind some blur when people are in motion, but I think a stationary subject ought to be sharp.
  • Options
    edited July 18, 2010
    Thank you both for commenting.
    I don't know why I wanted to post that version of the color conversion. I found it jarring myself, but liked it though I know it's kind of hideous. Maybe because the subway system is kind of hideous with that ugly lighting.

About the image being soft. Need a little help here.

I had my 25mm 2.8 for this.
    The camera was hanging from my neck when I pressed the shutter (it's the best way to keep it stable in this type of situation where I want it fast and not obvious since I'm so close to the scene).
    Is my equipment just lacking? Is the only way to make this sharper to use a tripod? I notice when I have subway shots they are never quite sharp enough. They are better inside the train than out, but still never quite as sharp as B.Ds etc.

Help!
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    gecko0gecko0 Registered Users Posts: 383 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2010
    Is my equipment just lacking? Is the only way to make this sharper to use a tripod?

EXIF shows 1/8 sec shutter speed @ ISO 500, which is why it's not as sharp as it could be. I don't think your equipment is lacking...try finding something to stabilize against or up the ISO to get that shutter speed up a bit. thumb.gif
    Canon 7D and some stuff that sticks on the end of it.
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2010
    Make whatever changes are necessary to the camera and lens (up the ISO for instance) to get the shutter speed to 1/30 sec or faster. With an image-stabilized lens, you can often go 1/15 or slower. If I'm already in an ugly ISO range I hold the camera against the nearest post or wall, if it's not a problem looking obvious.
  • Options
    rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2010
    Time to learn about your camera's capability on higher ISO. Indoors, I usually shoot ISO 1600 on my Canon 5D or 40D (and rarely 3200 if necessary). If needed, can use noise removal software (especially if underexposed). Any noise is usually prefererable to motion blur.

And I stick to the standard ISOs: 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, and 3200. Read on occasion (without knowing if it is true) that intermediate ones are just in-camera adjustments.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,931 moderator
    edited July 19, 2010

About the image being soft. Need a little help here.

Yes, it was probably too slow a shutter speed resulting in camera motion blur. Bump the ISO. In subways, I usually shoot at 1600 or 3200 depending on the light and the aperture I want to use. LR3 has good noise reduction capabilities so don't worry about the noise. Another thing to be aware of are the mysteries of autofocus. I don't know how Olys work, but unless you select an autofocus point on a Canon, it will select the closest big object. If that turns out to be someone in motion, then nothing will be sharp. I generally select the center focus point when shooting from the chest and hope for the best.
  • Options
    edited July 19, 2010
    Richard wrote: »
    Yes, it was probably too slow a shutter speed resulting in camera motion blur. Bump the ISO. In subways, I usually shoot at 1600 or 3200 depending on the light and the aperture I want to use. LR3 has good noise reduction capabilities so don't worry about the noise. Another thing to be aware of are the mysteries of autofocus. I don't know how Olys work, but unless you select an autofocus point on a Canon, it will select the closest big object. If that turns out to be someone in motion, then nothing will be sharp. I generally select the center focus point when shooting from the chest and hope for the best.

Thanks guys.
    just goes to show how little I shoot outside of daylight.
    I rarely ever push my ISO higher than 800.
    This is a wakeup call.

And now I know that LR3 has a kickass noiseremover. Just gotta figure out how to use it.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2010
    I notice your black and whites have a lot more contrast than your color image. I actually like the "ugly" lighting of #1 but it feels rather flat.
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2010
    Thanks guys.
    just goes to show how little I shoot outside of daylight.
    I rarely ever push my ISO higher than 800.
    This is a wakeup call.

And now I know that LR3 has a kickass noiseremover. Just gotta figure out how to use it.

Two asides, Liz - One, soft or not, this image is much better tonally balanced than allot of your stuff, and I'm going to guess that that comes from your finally having some decent post-processing software.

Second, if I'm right in remembering, you're using an Olympus DSLR. Being an Olympus shooter myself, I'd advise you to stick to 800 iso and not push it much higher; the Olympus cameras have allot of pluses, but the iso noise gets pretty ugly much above 800.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2010
    #1 got that ole Polaroid look to it :D
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2010
    MarkR wrote: »
    I notice your black and whites have a lot more contrast than your color image. I actually like the "ugly" lighting of #1 but it feels rather flat.

Thanks for commenting Mark,
    I am a slave to the high contrast b&w,dont' know why I dont' try it in color--I've been trying to tame/beat down that high contrast addiction though.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2010
    bdcolen wrote: »
    Two asides, Liz - One, soft or not, this image is much better tonally balanced than allot of your stuff, and I'm going to guess that that comes from your finally having some decent post-processing software.

Second, if I'm right in remembering, you're using an Olympus DSLR. Being an Olympus shooter myself, I'd advise you to stick to 800 iso and not push it much higher; the Olympus cameras have allot of pluses, but the iso noise gets pretty ugly much above 800.

You know, I read somehwere (been reading so much since I got the camerea) not to push the ISO over 800 and I guess it stuck.

Also thanks about my balanced tones:) I'm learning. I'll be lost in LR3 for a while til I start developing a proper workflow (Oh Rutt would be so proud).
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2010
    bfjr wrote: »
    #1 got that ole Polaroid look to it :D

I just got a Polaroid---love it. Film is too damn expensive though, even through "the impossible project".

That first shot does have a retro vibe to it.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2010
    Thanks for commenting Mark,
    I am a slave to the high contrast b&w,dont' know why I dont' try it in color--I've been trying to tame/beat down that high contrast addiction though.

1. Don't go into rehab for that high contrast b&w addiction. You do it well.

2. The color version looks like a scan of an old, faded color print. Do what
    you do well.

3. Have you changed your avatar?
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2010
    TonyCooper wrote: »
    1. Don't go into rehab for that high contrast b&w addiction. You do it well.

2. The color version looks like a scan of an old, faded color print. Do what
    you do well.

3. Have you changed your avatar?

Thanks Tony.

And yes I changed my avatar a couple of months ago or so. I'm going through a self portrait phase it seems. I blame Frida Kahlo.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    misterbmisterb Banned Posts: 601 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2010
    bdcolen wrote: »

I have noticed the same thing- and I've read where Oly's prefer a faster lens, shot in RAW, and kept below ISO 800.

The E-620 is an excellent camera (I have the E-520) and I just got Lightroom 3 specifically to use the Adobe RAW.

How did you set the white balance in your camera? Auto?

Here's a link to a "under $500" prime lens that would give you f1.4 and allow lower ISO:

http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/sigma_50_1p4_c16/

I'm looking at this lens as well.. a similar Leica (Panasonic) Summilux is over $800!