Options

Nothing good can happen BUT ..

BodleyBodley Registered Users Posts: 766 Major grins
edited July 31, 2010 in Weddings
Same ole story "Family member getting married, I shoot sports (photo) but they want me to " here's the twist "VIDEO the wedding". I know "BAD" idea to shoot, video ... or do anything you're not experienced at for a wedding. I've explained that my video camera is 20 years old, that they have to be willing to get nothing, I don't shoot video etc... They may still want me to try.

My question - I have a Canon 1DmkIV with video capability, which I haven't used. Has anyone videoed a wedding with one of these? Learning curve using video on this type camera. I have the following lenses: 200/1.8, 70-200IS/2.8, 24-70.2.8.

For the record I know this is stupid but any suggestions will be appreciated.
Greg
"Tis better keep your mouth shut and be thought of as an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"

Comments

• Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2010
    Check out Vincent Leforet's work with the filming with these hddslrs. Work out the depth of field well to make those really awesome films. There is a poster here who shoots wedding films with the 5d2s here.

If you are going to shoot the wedding with the video and haven't done so, get to practicing. I love trying out the video at weddings at times when I get to take breathers.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2010
    I've also been asked to take photos at the rehearsal dinner. Any suggestions on this would also be appreciated.
    Greg
    "Tis better keep your mouth shut and be thought of as an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2010
    Here be my $0.02 worth.

Video

If the event is 6 months away and your willing to learn, it could work out ok. If it's like next week, then I would say that while you know it's stupid, your not being realistic about the level of stupid. :D

Kind like your on the Titanic and the captain comes to you and says, " I know your a plumber, and we have small leak we want you to fix".

As for the rehearsal dinner still photography. The issues here are low light and flash. If you have experience with this no problem if not you may be able to practice. There is a ton of info here on how to shoot in these conditions and as an experiences sports shooter I don't think it will all that hard to pick up if you work on it a little and practice.

Sam
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2010
    Sam wrote: »
    Here be my $0.02 worth.

As for the rehearsal dinner still photography. The issues here are low light and flash. If you have experience with this no problem if not you may be able to practice. There is a ton of info here on how to shoot in these conditions and as an experiences sports shooter I don't think it will all that hard to pick up if you work on it a little and practice.

Sam

I think I can handle the technical aspect (knock on wood) just wondering if there is anything special I need to capture?
    Greg
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2010
    Bodley wrote: »
    I think I can handle the technical aspect (knock on wood) just wondering if there is anything special I need to capture?

I have started to second shoot and let me tell you weddings move very fast and nothing is on schedule.

Sam