Options

best wedding photography book

joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
edited August 1, 2010 in Weddings
I got my first wedding gig in 6 weeks or so. Wanted to pick up some wedding photography books. what do you recommend?

Comments

• Options
    ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2008
    Paul Gero's Book
    Digtial Wedding Photography published by Thomson ...He has sections on each part and includes the standard PS techniques too. I will be in Albquesrque in 6 weeks - I could 2nd for you
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2008
    I love: Digital Wedding Photography by Glen Johnson. He's mostly shooting destination weddings (I think) but goes with his book into every detail.

Get also some bridal magazines and just have a look at some photos in there! Just collect some ideas and see what kind of angles those photosgraphers used ... it's quite good to look through them every once in a while mwink.gif

Good look with the shoot. It get's quite hectic at times, especially during the posed photos, when everybody is dying to get the drinking started rolleyes1.gif Can't wait to see the pics!
  • Options
    SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2008
    I too
    Second the "Digital Wedding Photography" (Capturing Beautiful Memories) by Glen Johnson. Good book all around. Good luck with the wedding....they are fun, fast paced and phew, a day's work :D
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Options
    RustingInPeaceRustingInPeace Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2008
    Ditto on Glen Johnson
    Great photographer and a great book

“Look, I'm not an intellectual - I just take pictures.” -Helmut Newton-
  • Options
    3rdPlanetPhotography3rdPlanetPhotography Banned Posts: 920 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2008
    ne_nau.gif That is a hard call. In my experience I have not found one that I really like that covered everything I was looking for. Lemme see if I can dig them out and I'll tell you what I have.

joshhuntnm wrote:
    I got my first wedding gig in 6 weeks or so. Wanted to pick up some wedding photography books. what do you recommend?
  • Options
    HaryHary Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited February 1, 2008
    joshhuntnm wrote:

could you please update us with how it went. I'd love to see samples if you will be able to show/share them.

Good Luck!

Kris
  • Options
    joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2008
  • Options
    Jeff_MiloJeff_Milo Registered Users Posts: 327 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2008
    Books? Who needs books? Look around this site, there is a wealth of information from some of the best wedding photographers I have ever seen.

I have found when you check out most photography books for poses etc(disclaimer: I hate posing brides & grooms for pictures. I favor letting them interact and capturing the moments) they only show the really great pictures and poses in perfect light. IMO The best way to prepare for a wedding is to talk to those who do it all the time and can help you prepare for all those imperfect conditions you are much more likely to face. If you are specific with your questions or concerns 99.9 times out of 100 someone here has faced them and is more than willing to share their experiences.
    Jeff Milo
    MILOStudios

www.milophotostudios.com
  • Options
    glhphotosglhphotos Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited February 7, 2008
    The Johnson book is pretty good but I'd second the idea of using this site or one of several others for information. You might also want to head to a local bookstore and get a copy of the current issue of Grace Ormonde's Wedding Style magazine. I think it comes out twice a year and the current issue has shots from some of the best in the business and will give you an idea of what they are (sometimes) doing. I'd also suggest checking out the blogs or web sites of: Mike Colon, Joe Buissink, David Ziser and Jerry Ghinois. Ghinois has made available the first session of his on-line workshop that was very interesting. Ziser posts on his blog on an almost daily basis and includes some great online tech tips on a weekly basis.
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2008
    This is probably going to embarrass her all to pieces, but you might want to check out Lynne Hulbert's (urbanaries) blog here. Looking at her work provides me a huge ROI.
  • Options
    r3t1awr3ydr3t1awr3yd Registered Users Posts: 1,000 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2010
    Agnieszka wrote: »
    I love: Digital Wedding Photography by Glen Johnson. He's mostly shooting destination weddings (I think) but goes with his book into every detail.

Get also some bridal magazines and just have a look at some photos in there! Just collect some ideas and see what kind of angles those photosgraphers used ... it's quite good to look through them every once in a while mwink.gif

Good look with the shoot. It get's quite hectic at times, especially during the posed photos, when everybody is dying to get the drinking started rolleyes1.gif Can't wait to see the pics!
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who does that. :D It's always awkward though being a guy in line with three bridal mags in your hands. I try to remember that I look like a huge creeper without the fiance by my side lol. I love to answer honestly though.

Cashier: "Oh are these for your fiance?"
    Me: "Nope. They're for me."
    Cashier: "Oh..."

rolleyes1.gif

Hi! I'm Wally: website | blog | facebook | IG | scotchNsniff
    Nikon addict. D610, Tok 11-16, Sig 24-35, Nik 24-70/70-200vr
  • Options
    SweetScenePhotoSweetScenePhoto Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited July 8, 2010
    Thanks. These suggestions are helping me, too. :) I purchased the Digital Wedding Photographer's Planner, by Kenny Kim. It may be more "hand holding" for newbies, like myself, but I like it. Looks like I'm going to the library to check out the other materials listed here = I do LOVE going through all the posts and looking at different photographer's websites... It's all so beautiful and humbling!
    Jasa Wolfrey
    www.sweetscenephotography.com
    Gear: Canon 7D & Rebel XSi
    Lenses: 18-55mm, EF 50mm F/1.8 II, 75-200mm, 28-135mm, 75-300mm
    Extras: Sigma EF-530 DG Super Flash, Gary Fong (white)
    Paint Shop Pro 6, Adobe Photoshop Elements 8, Adobe Lightroom 2
  • Options
    TGAllenTGAllen Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2010
    I've got a library of about 10 wedding specific books, but IMHO, the best of the best is Captured by the Light by David Ziser. He goes into great detail about how to capture every type of wedding photo. I remember telling my wife that I wish I had found that book first instead of last.
  • Options
    ARKreationsARKreations Registered Users Posts: 265 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2010
    TGAllen wrote: »
    ... the best of the best is Captured by the Light by David Ziser. He goes into great detail about how to capture every type of wedding photo. ...
    15524779-Ti.gif Highly recommended.
    Ross - ARKreations Photography
    http://www.arkreations.com
    Nikon D700 | D300 | D80 | SB-800(x2) | SB-600(x2)
    Nikkor Lenses: 14-24 f/2.8 | 24-70 f/2.8 | 50 f/1.8 | 85 f/1.4 | 70-200 f/2.8 VR II | 70-300 VR