Options

DSS 56.. Feedback??

silvereyesilvereye Registered Users Posts: 195 Major grins
edited August 1, 2010 in The Dgrin Challenges
So I went out last nigt and took the easy way out as I really wanted to enter this challenge and wont have time this weekend due to other shooting commitments.

So this is what I got, please feel free to provide C&C.. I promise to take it well.

951456222_ZWuQf-S-1.jpg

Comments

• Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2010
    Ok--I don't know much about panning except what I've read, and I dont' think this is really panning.
    The background is static while the foreground (main objects) are a blurr of motion. Isn't it supposed to be backwards? The main object is supposed to appear perfectly still while the background is a blur?

Lovely shot though.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    liflanderliflander Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2010
    Excellent night shot, but I don't think its panning. I think you were stationary in this shot, and I think panning is meant for the camera to pan (move) in one direction (correct me if I'm wrong). But again, sweet shot!
    Cheers!
  • Options
    lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2010
    I'm pretty sure this would be the painting part of the challenge instead of the panning.

I think the streaks on the highway look good, but the lights from the city seem a touch too bright. Might need a little straightening. Nice composition though - is that a fountain on top of that big round building??
    ~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2010
    I'm not trying to be a spoil-sport here, but I don't think this is painting either. Maybe Sean can chime in here, but in my mind painting is when the photographer adds his or her own light to the scene, which I don't think is happening here.

Sean, what's the good word on this one?

Thanks.
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2010
    Thanks everyone.. I was not attempting the "Panning" as you can see, I was attempting the "Painting" as I understood light painting was part of the challenge. I do agree that the city lights are a bit hot and would like to do a slight burn if time allows.. but thanks for the feedback!! :)
  • Options
    AndManAndMan Registered Users Posts: 1,252 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2010
    liflander wrote: »
    I'm not trying to be a spoil-sport here, but I don't think this is painting either. Maybe Sean can chime in here, but in my mind painting is when the photographer adds his or her own light to the scene, which I don't think is happening here.

Thanks.
    It's a nice shot in its own right with the exception of the hot lights from the city.

I agree that it doesn't meet my understanding of "painting" however in the #56 entry thread (post 18) Sean does say the following in response to a question from BinaryFx
    The challenge is certainly not about "any movement".
    If you find yourself totally stuck with the two themes then sure go ahead and find something that will paint a light trail without your intervention. I thought that having complete control over a light or multiple lights in your hand would present many more creative possibilities then waiting for the earth to rotate. mwink.gif

Please see the original post for Sean's full answer.
    Peter

www.andmanphotography.com

Facebook Fan Page

"Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment." Ansel Adams
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2010
    Peter, I totally agree about the city lights.. thanks for the feedback and clarity. It was my understanding that this did qualify as painting but I am prepped to take another shot if its not seen that way by others. Thank you
  • Options
    sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2010
    liflander wrote: »

Thanks.

For painting, traffic lights do work but it was not my original thought when I came up with the theme. It seems that many of you think that getting out from behind the camera while the shutter is open is hard. headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2010
    Ok, so taking all posts into mind Ive decided to paint a new inage... its a very simple but I think eye-pleasing image952245747_464aL-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 1, 2010
    Re: DSS 56.. Feedback??
    I will be the first to say this is awesome! Great job. I love the simple beauty of what you did here. Kudos!

LiflanderPhotography.com
  • Options
    edited August 1, 2010
    Mark, Thank you so much.. I thought a simple, fesh approach might work better than other complex painting methods.. again, thank you for your thoughts.