Ribs seared by flames

30318436-L.jpg

Ribs seared by flame #2

30318449-L.jpg

Ribs ready to eat

30318470-L.jpg

Pulled Pork BBQ

30318428-L.jpg

If you liked BBQ, which I do, which would you rather eat. These were being prepared for judging at the Boone Hall BBQ and Bluegrass thing. The judges eat all of the entries. Some bbq is sold by other companies for the people.

Everyone was very friendly. Two different people gave me cold water, the person who did the plate and the pulled pork, she and her husband gave me the most delicious rib with lots of great bbq d meat on it. They were from NC, the mtns, you all who also live there. Regionally bbq can be very different.

A lot of heavy feeling as to which is best. I forget the kinds, besides pork vs beef. Then there is mustard based, vinegar based and what all. NC and SC are not together on this.

ginger 7/30/2005
After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2005
    number 2. :food :food :food

i think a really cool shot would be someone close up, taking a bite of that succulent rib! not unlike that strawberry-eating shot you've noted of mine, ginger... btw- that's not my dw but a good friend of mine :D
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2005
    I couldn't get anyone to do that. A few people were eating the pulled pork.

That was difficult to show, then one guy went to lick his fingers, looked at me and stopped. That was as close as I came, but there would not have been food per se in the shot. I do have a photo of his finger in his mouth, but it looks posed. (Tomorrow I will work up the people I shot. I don't think they will work as well as the bbq itself, especially with the fire. But I will show what I have, very difficult to get this stuff, and I tried.)

The ribs were being threated almost reverently for this very serious contest/challenge. Here they were trying to win for their pork, and I was trying to photograph it, so I would have a shot for the challenge.

The pork? Beef? Those were for the judges. The judges, they were in their own tent, eating, it was all very secretive. I did take a photo of the rib they gave me, but after I had eaten a bit, not really in context. Event is over, can't reshoot. But I had to leave, I don't know which of those nice people won. I had to leave, could barely walk (birds, bluegrass and BBQ), and I was very worried about my dogs.

Two fun days, though. And I forgot to buy myself some bbq. I just sent Bill to get me a BBQ sandwich, best I can do for myself right now.

Thanks, though, Andy.

ginger
  • Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2005
    #2 is great! I love the little bit of flame in the bottom left corner, I almost didn't notice it at first (was looking at the ribs!). Ribs hot off the grill. Mmmmm. Excellent composition. :eat
    Chris
  • Options
    pepper44pepper44 Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2005
    I'm loving shot number two. They must all be good pictures, because now I'm hungry for ribs...
    --Amy
  • Options
    dimmdimm Registered Users Posts: 47 Big grins
    edited July 31, 2005
    I'd choose #3 ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2005
    I dont know which but after trying them at Yosemite & not being able to get them here (well they are about but not big here like the US) ...those photos are driving me crazy.

Gus
  • Options
    DewDropDewDrop Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited July 31, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    I dont know which but after trying them at Yosemite & not being able to get them here (well they are about but not big here like the US) ...those photos are driving me crazy.

Gus
    #2 it is for me. I am a vegetarian, still looks tasty to meclap.gif
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2005
    Smoked Turkey
    30551579-L.jpg
  • Options
    InvectiveInvective Registered Users Posts: 113 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2005
    eek7.gif Looks like shes eating the tinfoil!

But in your first post, I definitley chose #3 :D
    "The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool."
  • Options
    erich6erich6 Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2005
    Number 2 for sure Ginger. Looks nice.

I like pull pork quite a bit but #4 still doesn't look tasty.... Guess the shot actually makes you focus on the fat rather than on the meat.

Erich
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,216 moderator
    edited August 4, 2005
    Ginger,
    Of the bunch, #2 works for me. Yummy! 10944573-Ti.gif
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    hichuzhichuz Registered Users Posts: 99 Big grins
    edited August 6, 2005
    #2 for me also, but, think it lacks "something" to make it a winner. Hey, what do I know...
    RC :thumb
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2005
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops