Options

Some Hoverfly BIFs

Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,900 Major grins
edited August 6, 2005 in Holy Macro
Managed to get some reasonable in flight shots today after a couple of days of trying..
Comments/critique welcome
Brian V.

CRW_7654c.jpg

CRW_7662c.jpg

CRW_7678c.jpg

CRW_7685c.jpg

CRW_7700c.jpg

CRW_7705c.jpg

Comments

• Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2005
    great series
    like #3 contrast between white flower and hover looks like I reach right in thumb.gif
  • Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2005
    15524779-Ti.gif The third is the best. It is the most interesting of them all.

Nick
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2005
    bfjr wrote:
    great series
    like #3 contrast between white flower and hover looks like I reach right in thumb.gif
    gluwater wrote:

Nick

Thanks BFIR and Nick - think I agree #3 is the "cleanest" shot with nice compostion. I was also pleased to finally get a good shot of that particular hoverfly species.
    Brian V.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited August 4, 2005
    gluwater wrote:

Nick

15524779-Ti.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    HiggmeisterHiggmeister Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2005
    HI Brian,
    Yes, I agree too about #3. But hell, I'd be happy just getting a BIF and focused too. All are nice shots, but #1 has the problem with the stem interfering with the hoverfly and #2 is a bit OOF. The others are sharp but have busier backgrounds. They are good shots, but #3 steals the show here. And you have several good shots of the species. Are bugs your hobby? When I shoot bugs, I'm just happy to get a shot let alone what species it is.

Thanks for sharing,
    Chris

A picture is but words to the eyes.
    Comments are always welcome.

www.pbase.com/Higgmeister

• Options
    gtcgtc Registered Users Posts: 916 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2005
    identifying species
    HI Brian,
    Yes, I agree too about #3. But hell, I'd be happy just getting a BIF and focused too. All are nice shots, but #1 has the problem with the stem interfering with the hoverfly and #2 is a bit OOF. The others are sharp but have busier backgrounds. They are good shots, but #3 steals the show here. And you have several good shots of the species. Are bugs your hobby? When I shoot bugs, I'm just happy to get a shot let alone what species it is.

i like #3 also

-re species names:in nature photography it helps if you can correctly identify a species ,as it will help sell it and you will learn something-a very hard thing to do with bugs though as there are so many insects and the differences between them are sometimes very, very minute-a general classification and common name are usually as far as I get-I am currently trying to spot the differences between various different kinds of Myrmecia,the Australian Bull Ant-and it is very difficult,especially as they tend to attack and envenomate you....
    Latitude: 37° 52'South
    Longitude: 145° 08'East

Canon 20d,EFS-60mm Macro,Canon 85mm/1.8. Pentax Spotmatic SP,Pentax Super Takumars 50/1.4 &135/3.5,Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumars 200/4 ,300/4,400/5.6,Sigma 600/8.
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2005
    HI Brian,

Thanks for sharing,
    Chris
    Thanks Chris, Yes shooting bugs is my hobby at the moment- suspect I will eventually get bored with it (remember I'm retired so have plenty of time). Like youI'm pretty happy when I get a shot in focus without worrying about the composition to much.

[QUOTE=gtc
    i like #3 also

-re species names:in nature photography it helps if you can correctly identify a species ,as it will help sell it and you will learn something-a very hard thing to do with bugs though as there are so many insects and the differences between them are sometimes very, very minute-a general classification and common name are usually as far as I get-I am currently trying to spot the differences between various different kinds of Myrmecia,the Australian Bull Ant-and it is very difficult,especially as they tend to attack and envenomate you....[/QUOTE]
    Thanks gtc
    I've just got a book on British Insects so will probably try to identify them in future but it's not always easy.

Brian V.
  • Options
    MuskyDudeMuskyDude Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2005
    Hey Brian
    As always, these are excellent. Love your use of light. thumb.gif

AJ
  • Options
    BigAlBigAl Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2005
    Brian I have to be a bore and go with everyone else - #3 is superb. thumb.gif

regards
    alan
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2005
    MuskyDude wrote:
    As always, these are excellent. Love your use of light. thumb.gif

AJ
    BigAl wrote:
    Brian I have to be a bore and go with everyone else - #3 is superb. thumb.gif

regards
    alan
    Thanks Muskydude and Alan, Think the light is just the way my rig works- I rather like darker menacing shots most of the time. Was lucky with #3 as it seems the sun made a significant contribution ( the flash is very slightly right of the lens and that shadow in the flower seems to be to the right as well)- must have been the sun rather than the flash.

Brian V.
  • Options
    NetgardenNetgarden Registered Users Posts: 829 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2005
    Brian I enjoyed your "in flight" photos so much and appreciate the difficulties achieving that! Inevitably my best focus shots on a flyer is in front of a dead flower or something! lol

No 3 is indeed fabulous! You have to enter that in a challenge or contest!clap.gif
    Thanks Muskydude and Alan, Think the light is just the way my rig works- I rather like darker menacing shots most of the time. Was lucky with #3 as it seems the sun made a significant contribution ( the flash is very slightly right of the lens and that shadow in the flower seems to be to the right as well)- must have been the sun rather than the flash.

Brian V.