Options

Nubble...lit up

eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
edited August 4, 2010 in Landscapes
Twice a year, the Nubble Lighthouse in York, Maine has its lights turned on - sometime between Thanksgiving and Christmas and again in July. I missed the chance to shoot the lights last year so I penciled in the dates for this year's lighting. Drove up after work Monday and had a muted sunset but some nice clouds to play with in HDR :wink

1. Rocky Dusk [HDR] - I think this was 9 shots with 2/3 EV between them
957371280_yfupC-M.jpg

- Deleted #2-4. Seeing them after a break made me realize they all needed a bit more work. Some others below.

I have a few more to go through and will add to this post as I process them.

E

Comments

• Options
    edited August 3, 2010
    Final ones from the night:

957775369_uqXny-M.jpg

957775635_hSBSe-M.jpg

957775869_GCaum-M.jpg

957776551_GkMyH-M.jpg
  • Options
    hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2010
    Nice set. I always liked that spot.

I like #1 but I'm wondering if the smooth water in the foreground is a little bright compared to the rest of the picture. My eyes are getting a little stuck.

Really like #8. That to me seems to have the right balance. And #7 is interesting but maybe some foreground darkening there? My first impression is that there are two light sources in the picture. Maybe just a foreground exposure gradient?
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2010
    Great point Tom. I got so excited by the quality of that misty water that I let that 'hot' spot grab the viewer's eye away from the lighthouse.
    As for #7, that seems to be one of the traps of HDR - you can 'smooth' the light and end up with competing light sources. Sometimes that works well...other times it ends up detracting/confusing.
    Thanks for the comments.
    E

You have any plans to shoot the lights up there? Would love to see what you come up with at your old stomping grounds!
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2010
    Reworked that first one to move the focal point back to the lighthouse and mute the mist a bit
    958848607_ykbRD-L.jpg

Another two reflection attempts
    HDR
    958848203_zdLPm-L.jpg

non-HDR
    958847903_sqZye-L.jpg

Also replaced #7 to tone down the foreground rocks a bit.

Thanks for the suggestions
    E