Options

Shooting Hockey

TheCheeseheadTheCheesehead Registered Users Posts: 249 Major grins
edited August 4, 2010 in Sports
Hey there, I'm shooting a summer hockey tourney today, practicing with my new 2.8L 70-200 (with a Canon Rebel Xsi). For those of you experienced, what is the best mode to shoot in? I started in AV mode, +1 EV, RAW, Auto white Balence, @2.8 1600 and I'm getting about 1/250th SS. I switched over to Shutter Priority at 1/400, 2.8, 1600, JPEG, and the ice still looks nice and white. I want the ice nice and white, as well as maintain a high enough shutter speed. I thought about maybe correcting the ice whiteness with a levels layer adjustment in PS...

Any thoughts? Thanks!

PS, I'll post my shots later tonight.

Comments

• Options
    edited July 31, 2010
    Shooting Hockey
    1/400 1600 iso 2.8 jpg
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2010
    Shooting Hockey
    Uploaded from IPod, so maybe not the best. Same settings
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2010
    Shooting Hockey
    same
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2010
    Shooting Hockey
    ISO 1600 RAW file sharpened in ACR, as well as NR. 2.8@1/500 this time, shutter priority. Bumped up exposure in ACR to whiten the ice, and did a levels adjustment layer (with the eye dropper thing on what should be white, I used the boards).
    Thanks

(uploaded from iPhone via the tapatalk app; the app crops the photo, which blows, otherwise the skates really are in the shot)
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2010
    Shooting Hockey
    same exif
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2010
    Aktse has written some great posts about shooting Hockey. The one that is probably a good primer is http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=675987&postcount=3 The shots look pretty good
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    deverauxdeveraux Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited August 4, 2010
    It really depends on the lighting in the arena. I shoot for an AHL team (one step below NHL) The Rockford IceHogs (Chicago Blackhawks affiliate), and we have the worst lighting of all AHL arenas (or so I have been told by the visiting team photogs). With my 7D/70-200 2.8IS combo I'm shooting at roughly 2000-2500 ISO, 1/500 2.8.

902106337_rgLPK-XL.jpg

What you're doing as far as post processing is on the right track. I usually shoot with a +1 exposure compensation to help whiten the ice, then bump up the exposure/levels/fill light in Camera Raw as necessary. I do very little editing in Photoshop since I can do most of it in Camera Raw. Also, the noise processing in the 6.1 version of Camera Raw is a great upgrade from version 5.xx.