Options

Bella Pictures?

mmmattmmmatt Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
edited August 7, 2010 in Weddings
Anybody do any work for Bella? I am looking to fill in some dates and they seem to have a pretty good program for photographers.

Any advice or experiences would be great.

Thanks,
Matt
My Smugmug site

Bodies: Canon 5d mkII, 5d, 40d
Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes

Comments

• Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2010
    Matt,

Your gona get a lot of flack.......:D If you want to give it a try go for it.

My opinion is that Bella is a marketing / promotional company. The client could get good high quality images in a style they like or not. There is limited contact between the photographer and the client. Contact and pre wedding consultations are with Bella not the photographer. Bella does the post processing, so your individual style is lost.

Your contact is with Bella not the couple.

I think too much is lost with this business model. I think both the photographer and the wedding clients loose.

Sam
  • Options
    ssimmonsphotossimmonsphoto Registered Users Posts: 424 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2010
    I'm 100% with Sam. You will both give up a lot. And I'd look in to whether you can even use the clients you gain through Bella for anything (portfolio, referral, etc.). Also, Bella does not have a great rep. There are many brides who have good experiences (because they get photographers like you), but there are plenty who are very vocal with their displeasure with what they get.
    Website (hosted by Zenfolio after 6.5 years with SmugMug) | Blog (hosted by Zenfolio) | Tave User
  • Options
    bnlearlebnlearle Registered Users Posts: 102 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2010
    I highlighted my entire experience with Bella -- the before when I was completely open-minded and the after when I finalized my opinion about them. This thread has been the bane of Bella's existence. I've gotten bride's who found it from Google -- later to cancel their Bella contract and book me :)

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=405506

It's an interesting read.

----

My experience with them proved them to be shady and controlling. They lied about a few things and put real pressure on you to shoot their way -- when they initially said they'd never do that. I don't like them at all but whatever works for others is fine :)

Bobby
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2010
    Hey guys,
    Thanks for the info. Bobby I read your thread over at canon and I understand your point clearly. Seems some things may have changed, but who knows what is true. I see myself as a pretty good "get it in writing" guy so I will probably progress with them for a bit and see. I think a lot of the negatives for working with someone like Bella is a negative for subcontract work in general. My experiences with doing dub work have been varried and my biggest nits with the ones I have worked for are apparently non-issues shooting for bella. I'm not a fan of anyone telling me how to shoot and have gone round that bend before so that will be the type of question I ask on the next interview. For the record though, they do let you keep copyright on your images which is nice, they pay me separately to sit down with the client prior to the wedding, they try to book same photographer for e-session and for wedding though they don't guarantee this to the client, they allow me to market myself and network my business name at the events I shoot and exchange my info with the client. Those are some pretty big things.

I guess the next step with them is to submit a disc of unedited files from a full wedding, so I will be interested to see where that goes. If they truly don't do any post work then they will shoot me down right there. I shoot with primes a lot so I crop a lot in post and I bounce off funky colored walls all day long and without a white balance tweek and a little bit of exposure adjustment they aren't good enough for my standards! If they just don't do creative processing I can live with that personally, and I would actually rather they didn't. That is one of the things that separates me from them from a marketing standpoint. They also said that they expect you to shoot anywhere from 1000-2000 images, so it seems as though the 600 file limit thing may be gone.

All this being said, my bookings for next year have really jumped this summer compared to last year so I may not need them as much as I think. I doubt the new guy gets any of the winter work over there and that would be when I need them most. I guess I will see how things pan out for now, but any other experiences or advice is certainly appreciated!

Matt
    My Smugmug site

Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2010
    Good luck Mat! Keep us posted.

Sam
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2010
    That's a negative, mission control. Eject, eject!

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2010
    Please keep us informed, Matt! And good luck!
  • Options
    BlurmoreBlurmore Registered Users Posts: 992 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2010
    I'm in my third year working for them...they are better than some other national companies, the fact that I'm in my third year with them says....something. The fact that I've only been shooting 1 wedding per month with them so far this season says more about my own work than the availability of their work. If you look at photography as your job, not your life, or some extravagant way to stroke your ego....you'll do fine with Bella. There is something mindblowingly rewarding about shooting a job, fedexing it off, getting paid, and never having to look at those people again...ever. Yes I've booked my own jobs from referrals I've gotten from Bella brides, I don't pursue them, I have all the work I can handle...but they do come. The disadvantage of working as a sub-contractor for ANY company is that you have to treat it as though it was your own job, because your reputation is at stake like it IS your own job. No one complains about the company, they complain about the person. I have not had a problem with this, sometimes I think I do better/more inventive/riskier work as a sub...because I KNOW I'm not going to have to edit it...it is liberating in its own way. Do you get matched up with people you don't like? sure...Do you get matched up with people whose expectations are wildly different than the product and style you provide? Not in my experience. They do a good job of nailing down the client's preferences, and they do an even better job of making sure their shooters have the skills...I know more photogs who failed their cert than passed. So there is the truth from someone who shot 16 weddings for them last year (but only 3 so far this year).
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2010
    Thanks Jason for the advice. So far I have gone through their phone interviews and haven't been asked yet to submit a disk of a full wedding, so I may have already not passed their cut, IDK. I guess we will see what happens in the next week or two.

Matt do you have experiences you want to relate to me or are you against sub work in general or maybe you are going off what you have heard from other Bella shooters?

Matt
    My Smugmug site

• Options
    edited August 3, 2010
    Here is the beauty of being ABLE to work for a company like Bella...July 10th I had a wedding of my own, a wedding I deeply discounted on the account that the family is basically...family. It was great. Sunday July 11th a 6 hour-1 location-all indoor air-conditioned job came open through Bella. Bam in 6 hours I made up what I discounted Saturday's couple, my back end? nada. Did I please the client? I already got a very nice thank you letter. What is it that Garrison Keillor says? "Live well, do good work", working for a subcontractor (especially one who takes care of their people) makes that easier.
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2010
    mmmatt wrote: »
    Matt do you have experiences you want to relate to me or are you against sub work in general or maybe you are going off what you have heard from other Bella shooters?

Matt
    I'm just not really a fan of massive corporations.

Look back through history- you will see that in each and every private sector capitalism has ever seen, commercialization and incorporation have crushed small business. And what suffers? The quality of the product, AND the customer service.

I'm NOT talking about wedding photography specifically right now, I'm merely looking back through history and I don't like what I see.

Yes of course there will always be room for the elite, the Rolex / Ferrari etc. of each industry, plus a few more smalltime generics. But a vast majority of common small businesses do NOT survive.

So it might be easy money and a pleasant experience, or it might be restrictive and frustrating. I don't know. I just don't support it out of principle.

=Matt=
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2010
    I'm just not really a fan of massive corporations.

Look back through history- you will see that in each and every private sector capitalism has ever seen, commercialization and incorporation have crushed small business. And what suffers? The quality of the product, AND the customer service.

I'm NOT talking about wedding photography specifically right now, I'm merely looking back through history and I don't like what I see.

Yes of course there will always be room for the elite, the Rolex / Ferrari etc. of each industry, plus a few more smalltime generics. But a vast majority of common small businesses do NOT survive.

So it might be easy money and a pleasant experience, or it might be restrictive and frustrating. I don't know. I just don't support it out of principle.

=Matt=

Well I do agree with the concept of not perpetuating wedding mills or any other attempt to sanitize individuality with big business ho-humedness. However, I think that our industry will always be about individuality and ART and there will always be the marketing guru bean counters trying to get a piece no matter what we do.

This would be an opportunity for me to show brides (and engaged bridesmaids) that I would have never met before what I personally can do for them. It is up to me and my ability to network if I want them to understand that and ultimately I think a personal approach will allow me to capitalize on the benefits of dealing with me directly.

If I have the opportunity I am pretty sure I will try a couple to see. I am however still undecided if I want to jump into something like this just as things seem to be really taking off for me.

Matt
    My Smugmug site

• Options
    StephaniespixStephaniespix Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited August 5, 2010
    Good luck Matt, doesn't hurt to try it.

Stephanie
  • Options
    Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2010
    Matt, look here for some reviews...they're mostly good...to great. For are realistic look at the reviews, time wise, choose most recent. Chronologically, this data is more relevant...you get to see the mix of good an bad reviews, and those in between for a given period. There are of course some who had horrible experiences. A lot of wedding couples have had a very nice experience with them...although, where prices are mentioned, they aren't cheap...$3000 for one wedding review that I read.

I say, if you want to do it. Go for it. Try it out and let us know.

http://www.weddingwire.com/reviews/bella-pictures/3eb0e2582903a2eb.html?mode=&sortBy=newestWeddingDate&z=z&page=1
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2010
    mmmatt wrote: »
    I am however still undecided if I want to jump into something like this just as things seem to be really taking off for me.

Matt
    If things are "really taking off" for you, then I see absolutely no reason to shoot for Bella. You're right, it "wouldn't hurt" to get in front of a few more clients and show them what you can do, in hopes of getting referrals.

But I'm not talking about any of that, I'm going on sheer principle here. They could be a great way to reach new markets, they could be a pleasant, affordable experience for brides, etc. etc. ...I still wouldn't do it.

I understand that Bella will always be around, I don't expect to be able to drive them out of the industry. And I also understand that most of the best freelancers will always survive. But that still doesn't justify feeding the beast.

=Matt=
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2010
    I responded to this once and deleted it. But I do feel the need to respond.

I work for Bella, I have a family of 5 to feed, clothe, and take on vacation, pardon me if this makes me a "sell out". I also put the same effort, the same passion, and the same soul into every job I shoot no matter how much I'm getting paid. "Feeding the Beast" always seems so funny coming out of the mouth or keys of someone who lives in the world's 7th largest (now bankrupt!) economy. The whole world is NOT So Cal.
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2010
    I can't figure this out....

Is there something inherently evil in a large business? Isn't that we are all trying to do, grow our own business?

Seriously... creating jobs is a big deal. Bella is doing that. If a bride feels more secure in hiring a company like Bella (because of the hoops they make their photographers go through to get the job) than so be it.
    Aaaand.... I would love to get to the point where I had a couple of really great Togs under my wing...
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2010
    Blurmore wrote: »
    I responded to this once and deleted it. But I do feel the need to respond.

I work for Bella, I have a family of 5 to feed, clothe, and take on vacation, pardon me if this makes me a "sell out". I also put the same effort, the same passion, and the same soul into every job I shoot no matter how much I'm getting paid. "Feeding the Beast" always seems so funny coming out of the mouth or keys of someone who lives in the world's 7th largest (now bankrupt!) economy. The whole world is NOT So Cal.
    Funny you should mention that. I actually loathe what is happening around me in the "7th largest economy", ...and I regularly and seriously consider moving far, far away. This is not my ideal market, and this economy is certainly terminal.

And regarding Bella, I'll repeat:

I DON'T wish the company out of business. They're an important part of the industry, and they provide a service that some brides may prefer. But just like any large corporation, you just gotta keep your eyes open and watch what happens around you.

Things may be different elsewhere, but around Southern California the industry has been almost completely slaughtered by "prosumers". There is just not very much work to go around right now. Of course there are other reasons too, but prosumers and mega-studios do deserve much of the blame.

Maybe that's just the way things are going to be for a few years, or maybe things are changing forever. Industries change, mom-and-pop shops close up and make way for Target and Walmart. And some industries will disappear almost entirely as new electronic devices are introduced and consumers just do things themselves. If that's the natural evolution of an industry, then so be it. I'll get a job at the Apple store or something, or Bella, or whatever.

But until then, I'm going to respectfully decline.

=Matt=
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2010
    I can't figure this out....

Is there something inherently evil in a large business? Isn't that we are all trying to do, grow our own business?

Seriously... creating jobs is a big deal. Bella is doing that. If a bride feels more secure in hiring a company like Bella (because of the hoops they make their photographers go through to get the job) than so be it.
    Aaaand.... I would love to get to the point where I had a couple of really great Togs under my wing...
    Growing your studio and getting a couple other photographers working for you is one thing, and a commendable endeavor. But having a company the size of Bella is different.

Creating jobs is one thing, but usually the "employees" are settling for something compared to what they could be making on their own. I think the max that Bella pays is $1000 per job? That might be fine for an army of weekend warrior prosumers, but the more a company like Bella grows, the more full-time professionals are going to have to give up much greater profit margins and settle for $1000.

Really though, there are just too many facets and levels of this to discuss fully, and I don't think agreement is possible. That's fine...

I frequently shop at Target, Ikea, and other massive companies that have squashed ALL local mom-and-pop businesses. So I'm just as guilty as the next guy, I'm feeding the beast I just said not to feed! These massive corporations might be exploiting cheap foreign labor, poor workmanship, etc. etc. in order to provide such low prices, and maybe we're just slowly ruining our lives, or at least the lives of some poor factory worker in China. And yet I keep on shopping at mega-chain stores, because other options are really almost non-existent...

So maybe it's a good thing on some levels, maybe it's a bad thing on other levels. Either way the main problem is that we've come so far that there's no turning back. It is practically impossible for all of society to just up and decide to pay more for mass-produced products, just so that factory wages and quality control can go back up. The bottom line is that innumerable small business industries are gone forever.

Now if you recall, I said before that I'm NOT implying (yet) that the same will happen with Bella and the wedding industry. I'm JUST saying that we ought to study history, and be smart about our actions.

=Matt=
  • Options
    ARKreationsARKreations Registered Users Posts: 265 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2010
    I may be kicking myself in the very near future for jumping into this discussion, but I think the other side of this viewpoint needs to be expressed. No disrespect to your right to the opinions already expressed.
    Growing your studio and getting a couple other photographers working for you is one thing, and a commendable endeavor. But having a company the size of Bella is different.
    Isn't the goal of every small business owner to create a business that becomes profitable through growth? I'm sure the one thing that every large corporate entity has in common is that they started out small and grew. If that isn't the main objective, then why go into business in the first place?
    And just who is appropriate to determine when your business is too big? Do you ever want somebody to tell you that you're too successful?
    Creating jobs is one thing, but usually the "employees" are settling for something compared to what they could be making on their own. I think the max that Bella pays is $1000 per job? That might be fine for an army of weekend warrior prosumers, but the more a company like Bella grows, the more full-time professionals are going to have to give up much greater profit margins and settle for $1000.
    And why does the pro have to "settle" for the $1000? If brides are still willing to pay out the $3000 (or whatever) that Bella is charging, the market still supports a $3k wedding package. If Bella only pays $1k, then that's the photographer's choice to work for the $1k, rather than market him/herself to the $3k client. And anyone thinking they can just pick up a camera, print a business card and start shooting $3k weddings won't make it past the first gig. But that's no different than any small business that jumps into a market without a solid business plan. However, the one that takes the time and makes the effort to gain the experience and market a quality product/service can be successful.
    I frequently shop at Target, Ikea, and other massive companies that have squashed ALL local mom-and-pop businesses. So I'm just as guilty as the next guy, I'm feeding the beast I just said not to feed! These massive corporations might be exploiting cheap foreign labor, poor workmanship, etc. etc. in order to provide such low prices, and maybe we're just slowly ruining our lives, or at least the lives of some poor factory worker in China. And yet I keep on shopping at mega-chain stores, because other options are really almost non-existent...
    It drives me crazy to hear the same argument that the big companies "squash the local mom-and-pops" - what about the responsibility that mom-and-pops have to provide a quality product at a competitive price? That is one of the critical elements of the free market economy. Just because I'm a small company doesn't mean I'm entitled to some kind of privileged protection to allow me to remain in business. How successful would the ethanol market be if the government took away the subsidies? That's a perfect example of an inferior product being propped up by an artificially created market and generating obscene profits from a product that would surely fail if forced to stand solely on its own merits.
    So maybe it's a good thing on some levels, maybe it's a bad thing on other levels. Either way the main problem is that we've come so far that there's no turning back. It is practically impossible for all of society to just up and decide to pay more for mass-produced products, just so that factory wages and quality control can go back up. The bottom line is that innumerable small business industries are gone forever.
    But that's the problem here - you're looking at this exactly backwards.
    When the market is allowed to work without the artificial controls, it will equalize itself if allowed to do so. Demand for an undervalued product will create a need to increase supply in as much as the lack of demand for an overvalued product will regulate supply - both ultimately resulting in a product priced at what the market will bear. It's only when the business environment is manipulated that products become artificially over/undervalued.
    Now if you recall, I said before that I'm NOT implying (yet) that the same will happen with Bella and the wedding industry. I'm JUST saying that we ought to study history, and be smart about our actions.

=Matt=
    And that doesn't necessarily mean that there's only one right answer that applies to everyone. If a person is willing to shoot $3k weddings for his $1k payment, then that is the value that the photographer feels is appropriate for the service that he/she provides. If that $1k becomes undervalued, then he/she is free to increase the value of service by moving on to (or creating his/her own) other opportunities.
    Ross - ARKreations Photography
    http://www.arkreations.com
    Nikon D700 | D300 | D80 | SB-800(x2) | SB-600(x2)
    Nikkor Lenses: 14-24 f/2.8 | 24-70 f/2.8 | 50 f/1.8 | 85 f/1.4 | 70-200 f/2.8 VR II | 70-300 VR
  • Options
    JMichaelKJMichaelK Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    edited August 6, 2010
    Not a great experience with Bella
    I spent a lot of time attempting to work for Bella and after finally get their approval, the rate of pay was unacceptable. I just can't work for that amount of money for weddings. The photos have more value than other events, because you only get one chance to get it right. I would rather shoot as a second photographer on the days I'm not booked for my own weddings. The pay is about the same per hour and it is low stress. I also get to try out new techniques as a second that I can't when I'm the primary.
    J. Michael Krouskop
    http://belmontphoto.smugmug.com/
    http:/weddingphotonashville.com
    Nikon D700 (3 bodies), Nikon 14-24 f2.8, Nikon 24 f/1.4, Nikon 24-70 f/2.8, Nikon 50 f/1.4, Nikon 85 f/1.4, Nikon 70-200 f/2.g VRII, SB-900(2), SB-800(5)
  • Options
    Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2010
    JMichaelK wrote: »
    I spent a lot of time attempting to work for Bella and after finally get their approval, the rate of pay was unacceptable.

Okay, I hear talk of money...about how little Bella pays...so, how much do they pay?

There shouldn't be any problem telling now that you don't work for them.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2010
    Ed911 wrote: »
    Okay, I hear talk of money...about how little Bella pays...so, how much do they pay?

They told me it was $62.50 per hour ($500 for an 8 hour shoot), minimum of 6 hours, $100 for a 1/2 hour meeting with clients, mileage only payed after 70 Miles. Advantage for me is that I don't have to do any post work. I can shoot 3-4 weddings per month but I can't do that much editing. I would rather book my own gigs and send out my raw conversion, yes but the fact still remains that I'm not going to book 30+ weddings next year.

As for the whole big business thing, I am more on Matt's side here. I have had the pleasure of working for start-ups when I was working as a Sales Manager in the construction industry. When the companies were young, they were all about taking care of the client. The owner would take their calls or initiate calls just to make sure they were being taken care of. Then when the company owner moves to a position to be less hands on he doesn't have the empathy for the customer he once did and things were different. I personally don't ever want to get to the point where I won't take one accross the chops to make sure my client is happy. I don't want to play the game of only making things right if they bitch enough. I believe that is a product of a business growing too large. Would I love to have 2 or 3 teams of photographers under my roof, sure but much more than that and I would not be able to oversee each job as my own and that is where I don't ever want to be.

That doesn't mean I won't shoot for them though. But by the same token if the client contacts me personally and tells me they are unhappy about something I will make it right on my own because that is how I roll.

Another point on the retail big company issues... The thing that really gives these mega stores a leg up is they deal directly with manufacturers and often times have similar products to put on their shelves that can be made cheaper than the companies products. Products that look the same but have different guts and a 1 digit difference in the model number. Hunter ceiling fans is a company that does this. You buy a hunter fan from a lighting company it is more expensive than the one you buy at Walmart or Home Depot. You open them both up and you see smaller motors and stamped vs cast parts... There are many companies that do that. Back in the day, manufacturers were more apt to price fix which gave Mom and Pop shops an even playing field, and there used to be buying groups where smaller and mid-sized companies could buy as a single entity and get the same pricing that the big boys do. THAT is the kind of crap that killed the Mom and Pop shops. If you aren't big enough to afford lobbyists you don't get many breaks in this country. All the lower price pressure put on manufactures from these mega-stores is also what pushes manufacturing jobs off shore too.

Matt
    My Smugmug site

• Options
    edited August 7, 2010
    Isn't the goal of every small business owner to create a business that becomes profitable through growth? I'm sure the one thing that every large corporate entity has in common is that they started out small and grew...
    Again, I'm not opposed to growth and success. I'm just afraid that eventually our ONLY option will be employment at a large corporation.

If Bella only pays $1k, then that's the photographer's choice to work for the $1k, rather than market him/herself to the $3k client...
    Again, I'm just crying "doomsday" for the sake of argument when I say- it might not be the photographer's choice for long. It could end up being the ONLY choice for most.

It drives me crazy to hear the same argument that the big companies "squash the local mom-and-pops" - what about the responsibility that mom-and-pops have to provide a quality product at a competitive price?...
    You're missing the point. My point is, industry often goes too far in the name of "competitive price"... Exploiting factory workers, miners, etc etc.

And for the third or fourth time, let me remind: I am NOT calling Bella a sweat shop. I'm JUST saying we need to keep our eyes open.

.. Just because I'm a small company doesn't mean I'm entitled to some kind of privileged protection to allow me to remain in business.
    I absolutely agree. And I've often said- If the industry dries up, then so be it. This is capitalism, nobody is entitled to success without ingenuity and hard work.

But that's the problem here - you're looking at this exactly backwards.
    When the market is allowed to work without the artificial controls, it will equalize itself if allowed to do so...
    Again, you say this because you believe people are NOT inherently greedy and willing to exploit others if they're given the power to do so. (And again, I'm not saying Bella is going to turn into AIG and try to dupe the entire world out of it's money. I'm just saying we need to keep our eyes open when companies grow to certain levels.

And that doesn't necessarily mean that there's only one right answer that applies to everyone. If a person is willing to shoot $3k weddings for his $1k payment, then that is the value that the photographer feels is appropriate for the service that he/she provides. If that $1k becomes undervalued, then he/she is free to increase the value of service by moving on to (or creating his/her own) other opportunities.
    Same issue- In a perfect world, you can choose whether or not you work for Bella. But I hope you can respect my decision *NOT* to do so because I know it's remotely possible that eventually the $1000 gig may be our ONLY option...

Really, our opinions aren't all that different; I'm sure we oppose the same things, (world domination) and favor the same things. (a fighting chance at self-employment and independent financial success) ...It's just a question of whether Bella is going to take over the world or not. And no, it probably won't. I'm just one person doing what I feel I need to do to protect the balance.

=Matt=
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2010
    JMichaelK wrote: »
    I spent a lot of time attempting to work for Bella and after finally get their approval, the rate of pay was unacceptable. I just can't work for that amount of money for weddings. The photos have more value than other events, because you only get one chance to get it right. I would rather shoot as a second photographer on the days I'm not booked for my own weddings. The pay is about the same per hour and it is low stress. I also get to try out new techniques as a second that I can't when I'm the primary.
    This is exactly what I fill MY empty dates with. 2nd shooting. It pays a little less than Bella, but the pressure is infinitely less because I'm not the primary shooter. Frees me up to get creative and think about what to try at MY next wedding gig...

=Matt=
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2010
    Ed911 wrote: »

mmmatt wrote:
    They told me it was $62.50 per hour ($500 for an 8 hour shoot), minimum of 6 hours, $100 for a 1/2 hour meeting with clients, mileage only payed after 70 Miles. Advantage for me is that I don't have to do any post work. I can shoot 3-4 weddings per month but I can't do that much editing. I would rather book my own gigs and send out my raw conversion, yes but the fact still remains that I'm not going to book 30+ weddings next year.

As for the whole big business thing, I am more on Matt's side here. I have had the pleasure of working for start-ups when I was working as a Sales Manager in the construction industry. When the companies were young, they were all about taking care of the client. The owner would take their calls or initiate calls just to make sure they were being taken care of. Then when the company owner moves to a position to be less hands on he doesn't have the empathy for the customer he once did and things were different. I personally don't ever want to get to the point where I won't take one accross the chops to make sure my client is happy. I don't want to play the game of only making things right if they bitch enough. I believe that is a product of a business growing too large. Would I love to have 2 or 3 teams of photographers under my roof, sure but much more than that and I would not be able to oversee each job as my own and that is where I don't ever want to be.

That doesn't mean I won't shoot for them though. But by the same token if the client contacts me personally and tells me they are unhappy about something I will make it right on my own because that is how I roll.

Another point on the retail big company issues... The thing that really gives these mega stores a leg up is they deal directly with manufacturers and often times have similar products to put on their shelves that can be made cheaper than the companies products. Products that look the same but have different guts and a 1 digit difference in the model number. Hunter ceiling fans is a company that does this. You buy a hunter fan from a lighting company it is more expensive than the one you buy at Walmart or Home Depot. You open them both up and you see smaller motors and stamped vs cast parts... There are many companies that do that. Back in the day, manufacturers were more apt to price fix which gave Mom and Pop shops an even playing field, and there used to be buying groups where smaller and mid-sized companies could buy as a single entity and get the same pricing that the big boys do. THAT is the kind of crap that killed the Mom and Pop shops. If you aren't big enough to afford lobbyists you don't get many breaks in this country. All the lower price pressure put on manufactures from these mega-stores is also what pushes manufacturing jobs off shore too.

Matt
    Thanks for that info Matt, and also for the insight into the MFG industry.

Again, for the last time- I'm not saying Bella is the devil. I'll repeat what I originally said-

Educate yourself regarding what has happened in other industries that have been taken over by big businesses, and KEEP YOUR EYES AND MIND OPEN, in case history tries to repeat itself...