Options

LumoPro LP160 users?

gecko0gecko0 Registered Users Posts: 383 Major grins
edited August 12, 2010 in Accessories
Does anyone on the boards here have experience with the new LP160? I have been using two of their LP120's without issue, but the new design/features/power has me interested. I may just pick one up and try it out...

http://www.mpex.com/browse.cfm/4,14648.html
Canon 7D and some stuff that sticks on the end of it.

Comments

• Options
    gtuckergtucker Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited August 7, 2010
    Have you used them on your camera before? I was thinking about getting one of the LP160'S for use on my camera since I don't have the money for a 580ex but I have heard that there are grounding issues with non canon flashes that can fry your camera's computer.
  • Options
    rsquaredrsquared Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2010
    gtucker wrote: »
    Have you used them on your camera before? I was thinking about getting one of the LP160'S for use on my camera since I don't have the money for a 580ex but I have heard that there are grounding issues with non canon flashes that can fry your camera's computer.

Have you heard that about the LP160, or just about flashes in general? Some flashes (mostly older ones) used a much higher trigger voltage than modern cameras are designed for, and indeed can fry your camera. The LP160 is brand new, and I'm pretty sure you are safe, unless you've heard otherwise.
    Rob Rogers -- R Squared Photography (Nikon D90)
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2010
    The guy at Houston Camera Exchange..my local store..was the one saying that it would fry the camera, he didn't say anything about the new ones but is there any way that I can make absolutely sure before buying one? Their customer service wasn't able to tell me at all lol.
  • Options
    rsquaredrsquared Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2010
    I'm 99% sure you're ok, but contact MPEX (mpex.com 1-866-940-3686) and they'll be able to tell you for sure.
    Rob Rogers -- R Squared Photography (Nikon D90)
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2010
    Thanks a lot, Ill call them, do you know if the collapsible lightsphere is compatible?
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2010
    No, I haven't used my LP120 flashes on my 7D, only remotely triggered with Cactus V4 units. I have a 430EX II that I've used for on-camera flash.
  • Options
    photogreenphotogreen Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2010
    gecko0 wrote: »
    Does anyone on the boards here have experience with the new LP160? I have been using two of their LP120's without issue, but the new design/features/power has me interested. I may just pick one up and try it out...

http://www.mpex.com/browse.cfm/4,14648.html

I've got one. For the money, a very decent flash.
    You may want to check my review out: LumoPro LP160 manual flash

lumopro-lp160-flash-full-package.jpglumopro-lp160-flash-switches.jpglumopro-lp160-flash-controls.jpg

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    edited August 12, 2010
    great review...very helpful. Thanks for sharing!
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2010
    Have you looked at the new Vivatar 285HV's.............GN120 @iso100/feet.......so not much of a power loss to a very
    reliable and long lived flash and about half the cost of the lumopro 160 .........no built in slaves tho so I guess thjat is where the real difference lies....

Vivatar 285HV at BH http://tinyurl.com/2aufm27
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited August 12, 2010
    Wein peanuts plug right into a 285HV, though, Art. Lots of folks may already have a few Peanuts ( optical slaves )

Now the talk is all about the Yongnuo YN-560 which is priced right at $85 bucks.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2010
    pathfinder wrote: »
    Wein peanuts plug right into a 285HV, though, Art. Lots of folks may already have a few Peanuts ( optical slaves )

Now the talk is all about the Yongnuo YN-560 which is priced right at $85 bucks.

Thnx pathfinder............

I may very bee an original p-nut user :D:D:D very familiar with them..and been using the 285hv since the late late 70's....alsomwink.gifwinkmwink.gif

Ofcourse I now only use RF triggers....no more optical except for some very close studio work with the SB900's :D:D:D
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited August 12, 2010
    I was sure you already knew about Peanuts, Art.

Not that good out of doors, but in a studio, they can be quite effective, and they are still pretty cheap too.

• Options
    edited August 12, 2010
    pathfinder wrote: »

another great article! I read about those 560's a few days ago, but that review is much better and a good direct comparison to the 160. The price is so tempting, but the numerous concers of QC and a few missing features spoil it for me.

The 160s fix most of the (minor) complaints I've had with the 120s (max power, power increments, recycle time, cheap control switches on the back), but retain the great flexibility with all the various trigger inputs, etc.

I can't decide if I should sell one (or both) of my 120s and pick up the 160s, or just get one and add it to the farm. :D
  • Options
    edited August 12, 2010
    Yeah, I was a bit confused by Hobby too, as he seemed to really like the strobe, but the there were these two things that didn't really work so..........

I have not purchased a Lumipro as I thought they were overpriced compared to the 285HVs I have sitting around which always seem to work so far.