Options

Selling Digital Downloads

presscamerapresscamera Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
edited August 7, 2005 in SmugMug Support
Hello,
A while ago I started a thread about the possibility of Pros being able to sell a digital download. It generated quite a bit of interest. Can anyone tell me if this in the pipeline or in the too hard Basket?

Regards Kerris Berrington :lust
Regards Kerris Berrington Press Photographer
Perth Western Australia
http://www.presscamera.com
presscamera@gmail.com

Comments

• Options
    Doug Munn - JLM PHOTODoug Munn - JLM PHOTO Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited April 4, 2005
    Just added a post
    I just put a post in the other thread.

We would love to be able to offer screensavers for sale.
    From drivng race cars to riding race horses, it's hard to keep the woman down.
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2005
    Hello,
    A while ago I started a thread about the possibility of Pros being able to sell a digital download. It generated quite a bit of interest. Can anyone tell me if this in the pipeline or in the too hard Basket?

Dunno but I like the idea as well. I could easily sell certain classes of images as digital files more easily than as prints. I wonder if it is partly a question of how to price so Smug still makes money, as well as the technicalities of the download process itself. I don't know how hard that is to do. For example, if a download is interrupted how hard is it to detect that and start again?
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited April 4, 2005
    I have also submitted this digital download request in another thread.

I currently own a nice piece of professional software that does digital downloads now, and currently it sells for less $75. The set-up uses paypal and twocoms, cod, check and bank transfer. It also allows you to sell prints and gifts, but does not pre-order the prints for you like smugmug but it does track orders. This software requires you to have access to a minimal server, and one or two dollar a month setup will be adequate for most users.

I think this digital download should be easy to deploy at smugmug, but it may cut into your backup disk revenue stream so I don't know how anxious you are to deploy it . I would be willing to pay more for this feature because I am currently maintaining far to many sites to do the job of marketing and selling prints, stock and gifts. If smugmug incorporates digital downloads they will bury the competition in my opinion.

I would like to see multiple downloads available and multiple resolutions available. A simple payment and tracking system and maybe even a stock "image subscription club" type environment incorporated. This business is moving fast and it would be great to see smugmug stay on top of these markets. We also don't want to get buried by these new micro payment sites around the net either. If you can't beat them you can at least have the ability to join them. I do not care for micropayments myself as I prefer making a real nickle for a quality image.

Anyway, thanks for listening and have a good day. I hope this is a request that can be filled soon.

-don
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited April 4, 2005
    minoltaman wrote:
    it may cut into your backup disk revenue stream so I don't know how anxious you are to deploy it .
    Our backup disk revenue isn't very significant in the scheme of things and mostly the third party that manufactures them keeps the lion's share.

Honestly, I'd *love* to be able to offer digital downloads. I'm one who buys a lot of digital downloads myself from stock houses like Getty Images.

Having said that, can you tell from our responses to other threads that we feel we have a lot on our plates? umph.gif So while the spirit is very willing, I'm afraid the honest answer is the flesh is weak in the near-term.

I wish I had a better answer for you.

All the best,
    Chris
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2005
    Chris,
    Strictly from technical point:
    is the problem a secure delivery of the sold image to the purchsing individual, and to this indivudual only?

I mean - email may not handle 16Mb attachement well.

Providing an open link opens a backdoor everybody can use, unless you "key" the computer with the special expiring cookie (not 100% secure, but "beta than nutin'") and allow image to be downloaded only to this computer..

I didn't do my homework on this, but I bet you did..
    I highly doubt the problem lies in the shopping cart. It's just another specialty item...

Am I missing something?

Thank you for your time!
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited April 4, 2005
    baldy wrote:
    Having said that, can you tell from our responses to other threads that we feel we have a lot on our plates? umph.gif So while the spirit is very willing, I'm afraid the honest answer is the flesh is weak in the near-term.
    I hear you...:cry

Nikolai wrote:

Providing an open link opens a backdoor everybody can use, unless you "key" the computer with the special expiring cookie (not 100% secure, but "beta than nutin'") and allow image to be downloaded only to this computer..
    This is also my suggestion. Even just a temporary expiring link. I have never emailed a high rez file I have sold. I always make them come and get it off the server. The high rez image could be transferred to a password protected gallery or something after purchase maybe. When nobody knows about the link it is not much risk I don't think. I am sure you don't need it, but I will direct whomever to the script I use whenever this can be bumped up the to do list. I just hate seeing the micropayment sites take over the instant download markets. With stock and micro the whole world seems to be doing the instant downloads these days.

Thanks for listening.

-don
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2005
    Hello,

Regards Kerris Berrington iloveyou.gif

I'm bumping this again. We just got a new Smugmug release with lots of new features. Here's to hoping digital downloads makes it to the top of the list soon.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    BodleyBodley Registered Users Posts: 766 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2005
    Watermarks Too
    mercphoto wrote:
    I'm bumping this again. We just got a new Smugmug release with lots of new features. Here's to hoping digital downloads makes it to the top of the list soon.
    Plus customizable watermarks. Is this a hijack?:D
    Greg
    "Tis better keep your mouth shut and be thought of as an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2005
    mercphoto wrote:
    I'm on board with digital downloads, custom watermarks, and cobranding improvement. The last release was very performance related, maybe the next will be features related.

And maybe one day we'll actually hear something from the Smugmug chieftans about all of this.

Helloooooooo!!!!!
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    XO-StudiosXO-Studios Registered Users Posts: 457 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2005
    Mike Lane wrote:
    I'm on board with digital downloads, custom watermarks, and cobranding improvement. The last release was very performance related, maybe the next will be features related.

And maybe one day we'll actually hear something from the Smugmug chieftans about all of this.

Helloooooooo!!!!!
    Bump for Digital Downloads
    You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.
    Mark Twain

Some times I get lucky and when that happens I show the results here: http://www.xo-studios.com