Options

Favorite July’s MLB Shots

Ben CBen C Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
edited August 7, 2005 in Sports
While I am in the process archive the 15 MLB games I shot in July, I ran across some of these images that I like to share with the good people on this forum. They may not be the best action shots but for one reason or another they are some of my favorite shots for July. Comments and suggestions are always welcome. Ben

#1-Jul 25 2005; Cincinnati Reds second basemen (33), Rich Aurilla, and rightfielder (28), Austin Kearns, collided with each other and dropped a fly ball during the bottom of 6th inning against Los Angeles Dodgers at Dodger Stadium.

47286200.jpg

#2- Jul 29 2005; St. Louis Cardinals centerfielder (15), Jim Edmonds, can not reach the double RBI hit by Los Angeles Dodgers second basemen (12), Jeff Kent (not pictured), during bottom of 7th inning at Dodger Stadium.

47286202.jpg

#3-Jul 29 2005; St. Louis Cardinals first basemen (5), Albert Pujols, catches a pop-up foul ball in front of fans during the bottom of 8th inning against Los Angeles Dodgers at Dodger Stadium.

47286204.jpg

#4- Jul 17 2005; San Francisco Giants first basemen (6), J.T. Snow, after tumble over the dugout railings, was helped back on to the filed by the bullpen during the bottom of 3rd inning against Los Angeles Dodgers at Dodger Stadium.

47286207.jpg

#5- Jul 23, 2005; New York Yankees second basemen (22) Robinson Cano, completed a double play despite of Los Angeles Angels third basemen, (9), Chone Figgins slide under him at 2nd base during bottom of 1st inning at Anaheim Angel Stadium.

47286208.jpg

#6-Jul 19, 2005; Los Angeles Angels first basemen (17), Darin Erstad, after fields a ground ball, underhanded the ball to relief pitcher (53), Brendan Donnelly (not pictured) covering the 1st base during the top of 9th inning against Oakland Athletics at Anaheim Angel Stadium.

47286211.jpg

#7-Jul 10, 2005; Seattle Mariners second basemen (4), Jose Lopez, catches Los Angeles Angels third basemen, (9), Chone Figgins (not pictured) pop up during the 9th inning while rightfielder (51), Ichiro Suzuki watches. With the catch Mariners won the game with a 7-4 score and swept of the 4-game series at Anaheim Angel Stadium.

47286213.jpg

#8-ul 8, 2005; Los Angeles Angels shortstop (6), Maicer Izturis, despite of stretch long was unable to catch for a ball thrown by the first basemen (17), Darin Erstad during the top of 8th inning against Seattle Mariners at Anaheim Angel Stadium.

47297277.jpg

#9- Jul 10 2005; Seattle Mariners centerfielder (7), Jeremy Reed was successful breaking up a double play against Los Angeles Angels shortstop (6), Maicer Izturis, during the 8th inning at Anaheim Angel Stadium.

46059912.jpg
Freelance Sports Photographer
http://sportspixel.com

Comments

• Options
    lr1811lr1811 Registered Users Posts: 363 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2005
    nice!
    I enjoyed the shots Ben! Pujols is a baseball stud.

What kind of equipment do you use?!

Brian
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2005
    All great, but my favorite is the Lopez-Suzuki shot - great expressions!
  • Options
    ltdesignphotovideoltdesignphotovideo Registered Users Posts: 146 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2005
    #5 abd #9 are my favorite. I think it captures the action baseball can have.
    -t
    :drums
    Lindsay Thompson
    www.grafxcreative.com
  • Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2005
    Those are all great. Do you get published in print or on-line? If so where?

Nick
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2005
    lr1811 wrote:
    I enjoyed the shots Ben! Pujols is a baseball stud.

What kind of equipment do you use?!

Brian

Brian, these are shot with 1DMKII and 400mm lens. Ben
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2005
    gluwater wrote:
    Those are all great. Do you get published in print or on-line? If so where?

Nick

Nick, I work for a wire service. Our clients are mostly print media. I don't get a report what is sold (published) until 60 days later. Ben
  • Options
    SeamusSeamus Registered Users Posts: 1,573 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2005
    Ben C wrote:
    While I am in the process archive the 15 MLB games I shot in July, I ran across some of these images that I like to share with the good people on this forum. They may not be the best action shots but for one reason or another they are some of my favorite shots for July. Comments and suggestions are always welcome. Ben

#5- Jul 23, 2005; New York Yankees second basemen (22) Robinson Cano, completed a double play despite of Los Angeles Angels third basemen, (9), Chone Figgins slide under him at 2nd base during bottom of 1st inning at Anaheim Angel Stadium.

47286208.jpg

Great action shots Ben, this was my favourite.

Shay.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,916 moderator
    edited August 7, 2005
    Normally I'm not a fan of the bullseye shot. But number 4 really captures the
    SF fans concern for JT :D

Would you mind sharing tips for captioning? Do you download/caption every
    few innings or keep notes?

TIA,
    Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2005
    What a wonderful occupation and you captured the action great. Can't be all fun though, how
    many times have you taken a foul ball in those pits. Must be lots of interesting stories.
    Love your photos.
    AL
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2005
    congrats, on some fine fine work thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2005
    ian408 wrote:
    Normally I'm not a fan of the bullseye shot. But number 4 really captures the
    SF fans concern for JT :D

Would you mind sharing tips for captioning? Do you download/caption every
    few innings or keep notes?

TIA,
    Ian

Hi, Ian, I first transmit right after the 2nd inning (I typically will miss 3rd inning and part of 4th inning due to editing the photos and creating captions). The editor wants to get the photos of two starting pitchers and whatever action taken place during the 1st two innings posted by 8:30PM PST in order to give the East Coast papers a chance to look at the photos before their deadline at midnight. I use the build-in voice recorder in the 1DMKII as a way to take game notes. After the game ends, I will work on the rest of images and get them transmitted before I leave the stadium. I usually get out there between 11 and 11:30 PM. Ben
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,916 moderator
    edited August 7, 2005
    Ben C wrote:
    Hi, Ian, I first transmit right after the 2nd inning (I typically will miss 3rd inning and part of 4th inning due to editing the photos and create captions). The editor wants to get the photos of two starting pitchers and whatever action taken place during the 1st two innings posted by 8:30PM PST in order to give the East Coast papers a chance to look at the photos before their deadline at midnight. I use the build-in voice recorder in the 1DMKII as a way to take game notes. After the game ends, I will work on the rest of images and get them transmitted before I leave the stadium. I usually get out there between 11 and 11:30 PM. Ben

Thanks Ben.

I would never have thought to use the camera's recorder. Whoda thunk?

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2005
    Allen wrote:
    What a wonderful occupation and you captured the action great. Can't be all fun though, how
    many times have you taken a foul ball in those pits. Must be lots of interesting stories.
    Love your photos.
    AL

Hi, Al, there has been a dozen times or so the ball came into the photo well. Luckily, so far it has not damage any of my or my colleague’s equipment. As for the “wonderful occupation”, I keep telling myself, my next life I would be a sports writer, this way all I have to carry is a laptop not all those very heavy (50+ lbs) and bulky photo gears. Laughing.gif. Ben
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2005
    Andy, DJ-S1, -t, Shay, thanks for looking. Ben