Options

Ever Feel Overwhelmed?

ScootersbabygirlScootersbabygirl Registered Users Posts: 224 Major grins
edited August 8, 2010 in Weddings
This spring I booked a wedding from a person who is out of state. She and her soon-to-be are traveling to Vermont to get married, as the groom was born and raised here. During the initial conversations I was led to believe that the wedding was fairly small. I received the contract back around 6 weeks ago and started to get an inkling that the wedding was bigger than I thought. Now I know exactly how big this wedding is, and how formal, and I'm actually feeling really overwhelmed. I've done four weddings on my own at this point and none of them have been this formal. The bride is being VEERRRYY specific in the shots that she wants and I'm actually worried that I won't be able to deliver.

I have faith in my work, and I am a bit excited, but I wanted to ask if anyone else has ever felt a bit overwhelmed when approaching a specific wedding?

Comments

• Options
    SurfdogSurfdog Registered Users Posts: 297 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2010
    This spring I booked a wedding from a person who is out of state. She and her soon-to-be are traveling to Vermont to get married, as the groom was born and raised here. During the initial conversations I was led to believe that the wedding was fairly small. I received the contract back around 6 weeks ago and started to get an inkling that the wedding was bigger than I thought. Now I know exactly how big this wedding is, and how formal, and I'm actually feeling really overwhelmed. I've done four weddings on my own at this point and none of them have been this formal. The bride is being VEERRRYY specific in the shots that she wants and I'm actually worried that I won't be able to deliver.

I have faith in my work, and I am a bit excited, but I wanted to ask if anyone else has ever felt a bit overwhelmed when approaching a specific wedding?

When I first began doing weddings 5 years ago, I felt overwhelmed at almost every wedding for the first 5 or 6. Confidence grew with experience. I still occasionally get keyed up when a bride seems very picky, or wants to control every aspect of the photos to be taken. My portfolio is extensive enough that my couples have a really good idea of my style. It's when the client has a different style in mind that I end up feeling (and sometime suggesting) that they would be better off with another photog.

My suggestion is to do the best you can with your head held high. Chances are that the bride will end up with most of the shots she wanted, some that she did not expect but will love, and will likely not remember any that she did not get. I would also strongly suggest having a 2nd shooter with you. There will be much less of a chance that something will be missed.

Good luck!
    http://www.dvivianphoto.com

Don't worry. I can fix you in photoshop.
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2010
    The time to address these issues is before the contract is signed.

What does your contract say??? If you asked the questions and they ether didn't know or miss-lead you, that's one thing, if you didn't ask that's an other.

Lets say you have a contact designed for a small 50 person wedding and 6 hours coverage and has been signed by the couple. Then as things develop you discover there will be 300 guests, and will require 10 hours to provide the coverage they are expecting.

What to do?? Easy...............you sit down and talk to to them, immediately. Discuss your concerns with the changes and increased demands on photography. Emphasize your concern with providing the best possible coverage.

If you need a second shooter and additional time add that to the contract and have them initial the changes.

While you can take a list of shots she wants make sure she understands that she or someone she designates is responsible for herding all the guests, relatives for the formal shots. As for any candid shots let her know while you can try, you can't guarantee getting every candid she requests. Explain all the things that can go wrong.

If she is, as you say she is being VEERRRYY specific in the shots that she wants, she won't forget what she requested.

Manage expectations! Learned this the hard way.

Sam
  • Options
    esc2476esc2476 Registered Users Posts: 354 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2010
    I was just up in Lake Willoughby for my annual family reunion. The NEK is such a beautiful area (have been going up there for almost 30 years.
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2010
    Feel overwhelmed about an upcoming wedding? Not really, but I've got ~50+ under my belt by now... I was certainly overwhelmed for the first 10-20 gigs...

Now, if you're talking about feeling overwhelmed about making my job pay the bills and pay for retirement etc? Yes, definitely overwhelmed.

;-)

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2010
    Feel overwhelmed about an upcoming wedding? Not really, but I've got ~50+ under my belt by now... I was certainly overwhelmed for the first 10-20 gigs...

Now, if you're talking about feeling overwhelmed about making my job pay the bills and pay for retirement etc? Yes, definitely overwhelmed.

;-)

=Matt=

I don't do a lot of weddings, only a few per year, so I've only got about 15 under my belt. The first 10 caused me great anxiety. Despite that, they went well, and everyone was happy with the photos. Now I just get excited about weddings (although I'm not ready to start shooting them all the time).

Manage expectations for ANY wedding you shoot. Things can happen, people can decide not to cooperate, many things are not in your control. The more time you spend on posed shots, the less time you'll have for candids, etc. If the couple has seen a start to finish example of a wedding you have shot, they probably know what to expect.

I had a couple make a long list of shots they wanted, and when it came down to the wedding day we didn't do them all. They had compiled a list based on suggestions from websites and friends, but decided they didn't care that much in the end.

Caroline
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2010
    ^ That happens sometimes.... Last weekend the clients scheduled a FULL HOUR for just the bride and groom... (Which would have been heaven...!) They said that was the most important photos of the day and they wanted to invest as much time as they could on them. Guess how much time we actually got as verified by exifs? 14 minutes. Ha ha... Typical.
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2010
    As to feeling overwhelmed before weddings... I think that fades with time and expeirence. After enough weddings you realize that you really can do this, and do it well... so stop stressing.
    What I feel overwhelmed about is all this editing and order fulfillment that never ends.
  • Options
    cj99sicj99si Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2010
    ^ That happens sometimes.... Last weekend the clients scheduled a FULL HOUR for just the bride and groom... (Which would have been heaven...!) They said that was the most important photos of the day and they wanted to invest as much time as they could on them. Guess how much time we actually got as verified by exifs? 14 minutes. Ha ha... Typical.

Exactly some times I have less than 5mins with them!
  • Options
    SurfdogSurfdog Registered Users Posts: 297 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2010
    what i feel overwhelmed about is all this editing and order fulfillment that never ends.

Amen sister!!!
    http://www.dvivianphoto.com

Don't worry. I can fix you in photoshop.
  • Options
    ScootersbabygirlScootersbabygirl Registered Users Posts: 224 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2010
    The wedding went okay - thank you everyone for your input. Eric - I don't live too far from Willoughby! We go there all the time to swim!!