Down a Dark Alley

bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
edited August 10, 2010 in Street and Documentary

Comments

• Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2010
    Another earthquake? mwink.gif

I'm curious if you intended to take the shot tilted or if it's simply hitting the shutter as soon as you sense something interesting. I think it's good to fire off a frame or two even if it might not work out if only to practice visualising and shooting. As far as being a dark alley, that's wide and light enough to be a major expressway around some parts.
  • Options
    craig_dcraig_d Registered Users Posts: 911 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2010
    I agree with michswiss. The picture isn't at all what I expected from the title. It looks more like an underexposed street than a dark alley. The tilted composition and backlighting seem at odds with the figures; the design suggests something more impressive or menacing than a petite woman walking with her child.
    http://craigd.smugmug.com

Got bored with digital and went back to film.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,931 moderator
    edited August 7, 2010
    michswiss wrote: »
    As far as being a dark alley, that's wide and light enough to be a major expressway around some parts.
    nod.gif Clean, too. lol3.gif

Looks like you might have been shooting from the hip. The tilt could be justified as a way of filling the frame with more shadows (which I like) but I wish you had gotten the complete shadow of the woman.
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2010
    michswiss wrote: »
    Another earthquake? mwink.gif

I'm curious if you intended to take the shot tilted or if it's simply hitting the shutter as soon as you sense something interesting. I think it's good to fire off a frame or two even if it might not work out if only to practice visualising and shooting. As far as being a dark alley, that's wide and light enough to be a major expressway around some parts.

Visualizing, and interesting choice of word :D
    To be quite honest since June of this year that's all I do.

Towards the end of May I dropped my S90, AGAIN! Although it still takes pictures I'm unable to see anything real time and have to wait till I download. At 1st I was quite dismayed but I decided to press on with this camera and see what I can produce. Mainly failures but every once in a while..............:D
  • Options
    edited August 10, 2010
    craig_d wrote: »
    I agree with michswiss. The picture isn't at all what I expected from the title. It looks more like an underexposed street than a dark alley. The tilted composition and backlighting seem at odds with the figures; the design suggests something more impressive or menacing than a petite woman walking with her child.

I'm happy to read your comment.
  • Options
    edited August 10, 2010
    Richard wrote: »
    nod.gif Clean, too. lol3.gif

Looks like you might have been shooting from the hip. The tilt could be justified as a way of filling the frame with more shadows (which I like) but I wish you had gotten the complete shadow of the woman.

I always clean up after myself rolleyes1.gif