Options

Change or not to change

David-StallardDavid-Stallard Registered Users Posts: 252 Major grins
edited August 20, 2010 in Cameras
Hey guys n gals, here's a million dollar question for you, I have been shooting with a couple of Sony a700's / CZ16-80 / 70-400G have had great results in motor sport as well as stills (flowers etc) I have been 'sponsored' by a magazine and a car race club to shoot the UK circuits.

I am selling my motorcycle and have the chance of changing kit or adding to what I have, do I spend on new glass for the Sony i.e. 70-200G 2.8

or

Sell the lot and go for the Canon EOS 1D Mark IV? I will also need a couple of lenses to at least match what I have with the Sony, super zoom isn't really needed as I have a media pass / track side for most of the events.

PLEASE none of the 'you can't be serious if your using a Sony' because that's just narrow mindedness from people who haven't used a Sony.

I would really appreciate some genuine feedback on this as it's a huge commitment as well as expense. Thank you in advance

.DAVID. xx
http://www.davidstallardphotography.com/

Take nothing but pictures. Leave nothing but footprints

Comments

• Options
    puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2010
    << Sell the lot and go for the Canon EOS 1D Mark IV ... >>

I happen to use Canon kit, but have no experience re Sony/Nikon or motorsport (macro / wildlife) - so no sensible comments to make on any regarding your plight / quandry.
    However, I also live in the uk and my local branch (Leicester) of Jacobs is currently offering free weekend / 3 day loans of 1dmk4 to ppl - I believe it's a company wide offer, btw.
    Have to pay the full amount up front (Ccard), when collecting same, but get it all back upon return - assuming in same condition etc.

You'd be worse off than someone like me (as already have lenses), but they also hire glass.

Have no idea where Pitsea is (without googling) - but might be worth checking?

pp
  • Options
    edited August 14, 2010
    Thank you guys, well I went down to park cameras and spent a while with the canon and an assortment of glass (how prehistoric is the push/pull 70-400) took less than an hour to KNOW that it's not for me, apart from the massive cost of changing everything that I need it just didn't 'feel' right.

So sorry guys - your going to have to put up with a Sony user on your forum - shock horror ;)

Appreciate the advice

.DAVID.

• Options
    insanefredinsanefred Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2010
    I don't don't care what brand you use.
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2010
    Some of the most respected members of this forum use Sony. Doesn't Yuri Pautov shoot Sony, for example? Put up remarkable images, and folks don't care if you're scanning Brownie negatives.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    edited August 14, 2010
    Thank you guys - smug n grin 'attitude' or should I say lack of it, is impressing me more and more. Just wish I had the confidence to post up some of my shots - maybe soon.

Thank You

.DAVID. xx

• Options
    3power3power Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited August 18, 2010
    On another note - don't sell your motorcycle, you'll regret it in a month or so!
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2010
    haha..now go try a D3 and see if you feel the same way!
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 771 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2010
    It takes a bit more than an hour in the park to get to know a new camera. The Canon is used widely by pros so it can't be all bad. Still, when you are happy with your Sony kit, why consider switching at all?
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2010
    It takes a bit more than an hour in the park to get to know a new camera. The Canon is used widely by pros so it can't be all bad. Still, when you are happy with your Sony kit, why consider switching at all?

call it a 'momentary lapse of reason' ;)

Just treated myself to the CZ24-70 2.8 - I'm like a kid in a sweet shop. Of course the Canon is widely used by pro's - it's the only way they get to talk to each other, I have been snubbed at several event's by these guys - at first it annoyed the hell out of me, now I just point and snigger rolleyes1.gif

.DAVID.