Options

Elements 8: Should I get it for ACR 6 upgrade?

TheCheeseheadTheCheesehead Registered Users Posts: 249 Major grins
edited August 17, 2010 in Finishing School
Hi,

I'm currently using Elements 7. ACR 6 is not available for E7, but is for E8. Is it worth the $69 for E8 so I can get the ACR upgrade, or should I wait for an E9 down the road? Thanks again!

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited August 12, 2010
    The improvement in ACR 6.1, over the previous ACR 5.x is quite substantial. The better noise reduction is noteworthy, as are the newer camera profiles for 2010
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2010
    Thanks for the info, I went ahead and bought it and agree, the new ACR is worth it. However, I notice the faces on my subjects almost look plasticky...kinda fake when enlarged....am I oversharpening?
    Thanks.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited August 16, 2010
    Hard to answer without seeing what your specific edits are for a specific picture. How about posting that information and your resultant image here?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,848 moderator
    edited August 17, 2010
    Thanks for the info, I went ahead and bought it and agree, the new ACR is worth it. However, I notice the faces on my subjects almost look plasticky...kinda fake when enlarged....am I oversharpening?
    Thanks.

"Plastic" and flat looking skin is generally caused by too much noise reduction. Pathfinder is correct that a sample of an image with the problem and your workflow description would help diagnose the exact issues.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2010
    Thanks, I'll try adjusting the noise reduction. Right now in the detail panel of ACR I'm showing sharpening- Amount 86, radius 1, detail 35, masking 0

Luminance 71, color 6. I'll change it up a bit.
  • Options
    MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2010
    At first glance, and without seeing the image, that seems like a LOT of sharpening-- especially if you are using the 2010 process. Luminance also seems really high. Keep in mind, the nr scales based on ISO.

Probably what is happening is that your high sharpening "detail" settings are fighting with the luminance NR. Try setting the sharpening Detail to a much smaller value and/or use the masking slider (hold down Alt/Option to see the effect) so that you aren't sharpening noise that you are trying to squash.

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2010
    Thanks, after playing with the sliders more, it seems I get a better image by increasing the mask slider, and reducing the sharpening and nr. This is the first edit, the plasticky one. Also, these are uploaded from my iPhone Tapatalk app, which makes me crop them goofy (which kinda blows)
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2010
    This one is the second version. Sharpening 70, radius 1, detail 35, mask 92, luminance 25, color 3
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2010
    Actually I think the second pic is the first edit, and vice versa.