Five shots with new camera

StueveShotsStueveShots Registered Users Posts: 544 Major grins
edited August 18, 2010 in People
Several shots of my sons taken during our recent trip. I used my new camera purchased for busy trips (when I don't want to lug the big one)--an Olympus EP1 with a Panasonic 20/1.7 lens. Still learning how to use it, but had a lot of fun...

968813438_BoZsL-L.jpg

968769604_ShYsj-L.jpg

968786926_yMVM8-L.jpg

968774066_witXB-L.jpg

968796808_Ky723-L.jpg

Edited to add this thought: I'd love comments because any thoughts you share will help me explore the capability of this fun new instrument in my hand!

Comments

• kidzmomkidzmom Registered Users Posts: 828 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2010
    Really nice!! The colors are wonderful and warm (with the exception of #2 a touch on the cool side, I'd warm that one up). Really nice job. I'd love to see #2 warmed up a bit on a repost. It is a great capture!
  • iCandiiCandi Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited August 18, 2010
    I agree with kidzmom, #2 has a cool blue tone to it. Very lovely images! I really love the last one, the brightness and bright colors against the dark wall look great. Great captures!

i.Candi by Mandi Photgraphy
    Seymour, IN
  • StueveShotsStueveShots Registered Users Posts: 544 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2010
    Happy to repost below.

I'd left the color cast because in the show that I'm creating of our trip a few of these photos with cooler temps signal our shift into evening shots (when the theme park lights up with blues and purples)...but I agree that it is an odd choice and maybe not the right one. So, I've warmed the temp up slightly while keeping the appearance of the light different than the other shots. What do you think? Would you rather see it as warm and vibrant as the others?

974213050_vBV7g-L.jpg
  • r3t1awr3ydr3t1awr3yd Registered Users Posts: 1,000 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2010
    OMG BUTTERBEER @ Hogsmeade in Universal Studios!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, I get excited when I see it. Nice shots lol. Good job fixing most of the color cast with that last shot.

Hi! I'm Wally: website | blog | facebook | IG | scotchNsniff
    Nikon addict. D610, Tok 11-16, Sig 24-35, Nik 24-70/70-200vr
    edited August 18, 2010
    Yep...Butterbeer!! We just got back from our trip and had an absolutely wonderful time. Have you been there yet? It was amazing. (And I got lots of fun shots to remember everything.)

We're going to throw an outdoor movie party soon showing the HP movies...I've got to find a way to replicate butterbeer for everyone.

Regarding the color cast...do you think more of it should go? I can easily remove it, but I kind of like the cool tones. (My philosophy tends to lean toward capturing (or editing for) the memory and feeling of moment rather than absolute fidelity to the scene recorded...but I also want it to be aesthetically pleasing.)
    edited August 18, 2010
    Yep...Butterbeer!! We just got back from our trip and had an absolutely wonderful time. Have you been there yet? It was amazing. (And I got lots of fun shots to remember everything.)

We're going to throw an outdoor movie party soon showing the HP movies...I've got to find a way to replicate butterbeer for everyone.

Regarding the color cast...do you think more of it should go? I can easily remove it, but I kind of like the cool tones. (My philosophy tends to lean toward capturing (or editing for) the memory and feeling of moment rather than absolute fidelity to the scene recorded...but I also want it to be aesthetically pleasing.)
    I just took my fiance last month for her birthday. We stayed for four days and had three day passes so we did EVERYTHING in the park (I lived in florida for five years when I was younger so I knew to go to universal lol).

Pics from the trip (via iPhone4): http://wallydyer.com/2010/07/27/universal-trip-by-iphone4/

Magic of olivanders (recorded by the iPhone4): http://wallydyer.com/2010/07/26/minivacay-is-over/

We had a blast and I've looked up a dozen recipes for butterbeer since we got back. (Seriously, I had five glasses... two frozen and three regular, I was ADDICTED lol)

In regards to the colorcast, go with what you like. In the end, YOU have to like the picture and if your memory sees it that way, roll with it. It's a vacation picture :D

edited August 18, 2010
    I look forward to going through your pictures and the video. Thanks for sharing! My son was chosen at Ollivander's, on his eleventh birthday no less!

974295679_VfJZN-L.jpg

You can find our pictures at my website http://www.stueveshots.smugmug.com. We stayed four days with passes too and took advantage of everything we could--every morning and night in Hogsmeade.

To everyone else...sorry about the off-topic. I'd still love feedback on the colorcast!
    edited August 18, 2010
    I look forward to going through your pictures and the video. Thanks for sharing! My son was chosen at Ollivander's, on his eleventh birthday no less!

974295679_VfJZN-L.jpg

You can find our pictures at my website http://www.stueveshots.smugmug.com. We stayed four days with passes too and took advantage of everything we could--every morning and night in Hogsmeade.

To everyone else...sorry about the off-topic. I'd still love feedback on the colorcast!

Now, for our group they picked a random kid... since it looks like your son got picked, did he get a free wand?! (I had to pay $31 for my Serious Black wand lol)

Great pic for the level of darkness in there btw.

edited August 18, 2010
    Nope. No free wand, alas. (But his parents ponied up anyway...it was the kid's birthday after all.)

Thanks for the compliment. I wasn't about to use a flash and ruin his moment of magic...I always prefer to work with available light if I can.