Options

Couple of questions about shooting engagement pics

AntonlmAntonlm Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
edited August 21, 2010 in Weddings
Just curious, Do you all use a tripod even tho these shots are mostly "posed"? If you do not, what type of shutter speed do you all try to use to get these photos so sharp, is just the rule of matching your focal length good enough or using aperture and letting the camera decide? And do you use continuous shooting? Thanks for any feedback.

Comments

• Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2010
    It is pretty hard to walk/sprint around with a tripod. Matching the focal length is a good start...

Are you looking to do engagement sessions? Have you done any shooting of people outdoors (or indoors.. indoor shopping gala engagement sessions are sweet)?
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited August 12, 2010
    Yep, I would like to get into this and I was trying to get see what was most common.
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2010
    The older I get, the more I like VR. And faster lenses! And, when called for, a mono-pod when the called-for lens isn't VR. Seriously, a mono-pod has saved my bacon in situations when a tripod would have just made things impossible. If you don't want to use a mono-pod, the old trick of hanging a cord from the camera and stepping on it really does work . . . 'til you trip over it.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    edited August 12, 2010
    Ok, I have a pretty good monopod and my camera does have steadyshot built in so on that front I guess I'm good. And I recently got the Tamron 17-50 2.8 and from what I've read it's pretty good glass. I was just wondering what else I could do to get the sharp shots. I tried to look at the exif data on various pics here, but I think they are all removed, either that or I just don't know how to view it lol
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2010
    The VERY BEST thing you can do is practice practice practice. Drag your dog, kids, wife, neighbor, whoever out there and practice. Practice shooting wide open and stopped down.... practice shooting moving objects and still...
    I rarely use continuous shooting, unless it is for a specific purpose (like in a series or fast moving situation like a running shot) It just burns up too much memory. Timing is something that is learned with practice.

And then the next thing is: look at some of the fab posts out there and figure out how they did what they did. Peek at their Exifs... and don't be afraid to try some of their ideas and settings.
  • Options
    edited August 12, 2010
    I dunno Heather . . .
    It just burns up too much memory. /QUOTE]

It's amazing what 16 gigabyte CF cards do for you attitude about shutter clicks :D.
    John :
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2010
    Antonlm wrote: »
    Just curious, Do you all use a tripod even tho these shots are mostly "posed"? If you do not, what type of shutter speed do you all try to use to get these photos so sharp, is just the rule of matching your focal length good enough or using aperture and letting the camera decide? And do you use continuous shooting? Thanks for any feedback.

forget the tripod. just keep you shutter speed above 1/200 and forget it. If you are shooting in daylight/shade it will be way faster then that anyway.

but beyond that if you are asking questions like this then you are not ready..like heather suggested go just go shoot shoot shoot! You need to get a feel for what your gear is cabable of.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2010
    Icebear wrote: »
    It just burns up too much memory. /QUOTE]

It's amazing what 16 gigabyte CF cards do for you attitude about shutter clicks :D.

But it aaaalll has to be processed or at least sorted through. I shoot a LOT of photos (usually about 8+ gigs per hour) and would rather pick and choose the moments instead of the spray and pray mentatlity.
  • Options
    edited August 12, 2010

But it aaaalll has to be processed or at least sorted through.

I hear you!
    John :
  • Options
    edited August 12, 2010
    Couple of questions about shooting engagement pics
    I really appreciate the info. I'm going to try and get more practice.
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2010
    Personally, as a landscape photographer at heart, I have no trouble taking a tripod on ANY photo shoot. It's just part of my style.

For example. I probably could have shot this image hand-held, considering that it was f/2.8, ISO 200 and 1/45 sec. I didn't have stabilization but if I had it'd be dooable, especially at ISO 400, or since this shot was at 85mm I could have used a prime and opened up a stop, etc. etc.

HOWEVER, my style just lends itself to shooting more slowly. When I hand-hold a shot like this, in fading light with a beautiful landscape, I tend to rush the composition and just start clicking. I'm just a bit more slow and methodical than that, when I do my best work...

That, and honestly I DO get a lot more sharpness out of my un-stabilized lenses at any shutter speed below 1/500th. When shooting 12 megapixels on DX, the ordinary shutter speed rule just doesn't always cut it.

=Matt=

727189576_zMnrT-XL.jpg
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2010
    I can't stand tripods, period.
    Like Heather said, practice, keep shooting, your family, friends, whomever comes along. There is no set shutter speed, it will all depend on the situation you're in, the lighting, the weather, and the couple you're shooting.
    Personally, I'm pretty spontaneous person, and i don't plan (not severely) any of my shoots. Scout the locations to see where you want to bring your couple and go nuts!

One of my favorite couples to date:

920197122_amsUc-M-2.jpg

920202940_d9SSa-M-1.jpg

919393435_MZMfD-M.jpg

919401936_uzMoa-M.jpg
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • Options
    RoyGBivRoyGBiv Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited August 14, 2010
    ... If you don't want to use a mono-pod, the old trick of hanging a cord from the camera and stepping on it really does work . . . 'til you trip over it.

Old tricks...to a complete amateur like me...this is effin' brilliant. :D
  • Options
    RoyGBivRoyGBiv Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited August 14, 2010

But it aaaalll has to be processed or at least sorted through. I shoot a LOT of photos (usually about 8+ gigs per hour) and would rather pick and choose the moments instead of the spray and pray mentatlity.
    sorting through 100 nearly-identical pics kiiiiills me!
  • Options
    IrrokIrrok Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited August 15, 2010
    I Have found myself shooting Aperture Priority and playing around till I see the results I'm looking for. Their are so many variables that practice is king. Don't over think just shoot look at your results and adjust as necessary.

-Best
  • Options
    ImageX PhotographyImageX Photography Registered Users Posts: 528 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2010
    Antonlm wrote: »

I just did an engagement shoot a few weeks ago... and I brought my tripod. I mostly shot hand held VR but I did use it. Handheld allows you to get the random casual stuff... and poses. I used the tripod for formal "thought out" type shots and to frame backgrounds perfectly. Go ahead and bring it if you don't mind carrying it.
  • Options
    mmmattmmmatt Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2010
    No pod, no VR, and no continuous shutter for me. I typically shoot manual mode and use shutter priority in consistent light that is low or aperture priority in full sunlight if the back-lighting isn't brutal. I handhold pretty well though, and I attribute that to being a sportsman and spending a lot of time at the shooting range and in the woods. I have almost pretty good luck shooting a 200mm lens at 1/80th w/o flash. I do throw some away for motion when I am shooting that slow though.

Matt
    My Smugmug site

Bodies: Canon 5d mkII, 5d, 40d
    Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
  • Options
    SeascapeSSeascapeS Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2010
    You must have great vision. I can't shoot manual because when it looks sharp to me, I'm just adjusting to my eyes and not the actual subject. I have both glasses and contacts, but they don't improve my vision enough (both near-sighted and far-sighted). Anyone else have this problem?
    SandiZ
    If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera. ~Lewis Hine
    http://sandizphotos-seascapes.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2010
    SeascapeS wrote: »
    You must have great vision. I can't shoot manual because when it looks sharp to me, I'm just adjusting to my eyes and not the actual subject. I have both glasses and contacts, but they don't improve my vision enough (both near-sighted and far-sighted). Anyone else have this problem?

I assume you have done all the tweaking possible on your viewfinder diopter adjustment. I have the same problem.
    John :
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2010
    Like Master Seville, I have no problem toteing a tripod or mono pod........I learned to shoot off a tripod with film...it carried over inot the now digital era.......I still shoot off of them.......I spread their legs wide for shoot nearly off the ground or any position in between.........I learned to do it and have never regretted it al all.........................I would much rather trust my shots to a pod than to VR.....but it seems my shooting style causes the VR to actually blur handheld shots for me.........so I no longer bother wit hVR unless it is really windy here in Ks.............................................
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    SeascapeSSeascapeS Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2010
    I assume you have done all the tweaking possible on your viewfinder diopter adjustment. I have the same problem.

Ha - I just realized I had this option today. I will begin tweaking.:D
    SandiZ
    If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera. ~Lewis Hine
    http://sandizphotos-seascapes.smugmug.com/