Untitled (2010-08-19)

michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
edited August 23, 2010 in Street and Documentary
975330881_JdQSN-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2010
    Looks a little seedy. And if that one guy doesn't watch out, he's gonna get ashes in his rice bowl!
  • Options
    PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2010
    It does have a sinister feeling for me. The heavy smoke coming off of the cigarette really adds to this feeling. What are they discussing? Are they plotting something? Good capture.
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
    ... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography
  • Options
    DRT-MaverickDRT-Maverick Registered Users Posts: 476 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2010
    I do love this photograph! The atmosphere is amazing! Where was this, if I may ask? :)
    Pentax K20D 14.6mp Body : Pentax *ist D 6.1mp Body : Pentax ZX10 Body : 180mm Sigma Macro EX lens : 18-55mm Pentax SMC DA Lens : 28-200mm Sigma Lens : 50-500mm Sigma APO DG EX lens : Pentax AF-500FTZ flash : Sigma EX 2x Teleconverter.
  • Options
    rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2010
    I like the right half of the shot better than the left half. The lighting and mood of the closest guy is strong. Left side lighting is tougher with bright backlit guys. Only thing they add is that all three are disregarding each other while sharing the table.

I would consider cropping the shot down the middle and keeping the one side only.
  • Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2010
    rainbow wrote: »
    I like the right half of the shot better than the left half. The lighting and mood of the closest guy is strong. Left side lighting is tougher with bright backlit guys. Only thing they add is that all three are disregarding each other while sharing the table.

I would consider cropping the shot down the middle and keeping the one side only.

The guy on the right is what caught my eye and I intentionally placed him at the edge with the other guy pressed to the left. It's already cropped by about 10-15% and I'm really shying away from cropping too much these days unless I had something particular in mind during the original capture such as square or 16:9.

But yeah, I knew I'd be sacrificing exposure and quality on the left to get things correct with the guy on the right.
    I do love this photograph! The atmosphere is amazing! Where was this, if I may ask? :)

Thanks Maverick and welcome to the Street forum! How specific would you like me to be? ne_nau.gifmwink.gif It's in Shanghai in Luwan district on Hefei Lu and Ji'an Lu. It's an area I've been taking pictures in for the last year and a half. I'm fairly recognisable in the neighbourhood thus people are relatively comfortable around me although I'm barely able to string together anything in Mandarin much less Shanghainese.

Virginia, Ben, Nothing sinister unless it had something to do with the next noodle order they were planning... (I do understand more than I let onto)
  • Options
    damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2010
    Beautiful shot.

Shanghaihua is difficult.