Options

CF for 1DMIII focus poins for FN Football

Graham CrackerGraham Cracker Registered Users Posts: 242 Major grins
edited August 25, 2010 in Sports
I am needing a little advice on C-Fn III-8 on my 1DM3. I shoot a lot of friday night football and have gotten fairly adept at using my central focus point but at times when I have to shoot quick it is out of focus or focusing on the guy on the sideline in between the two players. I am using AI Servo but wondering if expanding the surrounding AF points would help. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks Patrick
PDG
Canon 1DM3, 20D & 40D, Canon f/2.8 70-200mm IS, Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8

Comments

• Options
    cecilccecilc Registered Users Posts: 114 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2010
    I am needing a little advice on C-Fn III-8 on my 1DM3. I shoot a lot of friday night football and have gotten fairly adept at using my central focus point but at times when I have to shoot quick it is out of focus or focusing on the guy on the sideline in between the two players. I am using AI Servo but wondering if expanding the surrounding AF points would help. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks Patrick

Hi Patrick ....

You didn't say what setting you had in place now .... but I'd set that function to "2: Surrounding AF points"

Check out this link: http://www.usa.canon.com/dlc/controller?act=GetArticleAct&articleID=3107 and read the section "AF Point Expansion"
    Cecil
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Photos at SportsShooter
  • Options
    johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2010
    Well if you're using just the center and it's focusing on the player on the sidelines then expansion might not help much. I use expansion on my 1dIII but if you have the focus point on the wrong player, expansion won't help. According to your equipment you are using a 70-200 - it's also a matter of making sure your subject is filling enough of the frame - should be filling 2/3-3/4 of the vertical frame if shooting portrait orientation or about 3/4-90% if shooting landscape. That's not a lot of reach - about 25 yards or so. So be sure your subject is close enough for 200mm to focus properly.
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2010
    johng wrote: »
    Well if you're using just the center and it's focusing on the player on the sidelines then expansion might not help much. I use expansion on my 1dIII but if you have the focus point on the wrong player, expansion won't help. According to your equipment you are using a 70-200 - it's also a matter of making sure your subject is filling enough of the frame - should be filling 2/3-3/4 of the vertical frame if shooting portrait orientation or about 3/4-90% if shooting landscape. That's not a lot of reach - about 25 yards or so. So be sure your subject is close enough for 200mm to focus properly.
    I figured that might be part of my problem, trying to reach too far with the 200mm. HAve you ever used the Sigma 120-300 f/2.8? I have been looking at this so I can get the sideline shoots and not have to carry two cameras. Thanks PAtrick
    PDG
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2010
    Yes, I use the 120-300 2.8. It's a great lens - not as sharp as the canon or nikon primes, but the zoom is definitely beneficial. Mine has a bit of front focus but with micro adjust in the camera that's not a problem.
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2010
    Yes, I use the 120-300 2.8. It's a great lens - not as sharp as the canon or nikon primes, but the zoom is definitely beneficial. Mine has a bit of front focus but with micro adjust in the camera that's not a problem.

What would be your pick, Sigma 120 - 300 or Canon 300 non IS both f/2.8?
    PDG
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2010
    Graham,
    My concern about the non-IS is I do not believe you can get it repaired anymore. I could be mistaken on that, but it's what I've seen discussed. So that could be a risky investment.
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2010
    Graham,
    My concern about the non-IS is I do not believe you can get it repaired anymore. I could be mistaken on that, but it's what I've seen discussed. So that could be a risky investment.
    Good Question to ask. If I can which would you choose? Canon?
    PDG
  • Options
    travischancetravischance Registered Users Posts: 642 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2010
    Graham,

John is correct on this. I called Canon a few weeks back and was told that the 300 2.8 (non IS) was no longer serviceable as of 2006. Additionally, it's very difficult to find parts for this lens. At the time, I was in the market for either the Sigma 120-300 or Canon prime. Adorama had a refurbished 300 2.8 IS & I picked that one up. Best of luck to you.
    Travis M. Chance
    twin Mark IV's & a bunch of "L" glass
    sitefacebook
  • Options
    edited August 25, 2010
    John is correct on this. I called Canon a few weeks back and was told that the 300 2.8 (non IS) was no longer serviceable as of 2006. Additionally, it's very difficult to find parts for this lens. At the time, I was in the market for either the Sigma 120-300 or Canon prime. Adorama had a refurbished 300 2.8 IS & I picked that one up. Best of luck to you.
    Thanks
    PDG