Options

New Canon S95

gecko0gecko0 Registered Users Posts: 383 Major grins
edited September 5, 2010 in Cameras
Search hates three characters, so I can't easily see if it's been discussed on here...

I've been thinking about grabbing an S90 for a while, but now with the S95 announced, I'm wondering if it's the way to go. From other reviews/discussions, it sounds like current owners may not find it enough of an upgrade to justify cost, but for a new owner...hmmmm. Either see how much the S90 drops in price or go for the shiny newness...

I have an SD880 IS for my PnS now, which I would sell to offset the cost of either.
Canon 7D and some stuff that sticks on the end of it.

Comments

• Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2010
    I'm looking for something compact but with really good low light performance. I played with an S95 this evening as well as a NEX-5 with the 16mm. They both have very alluring aspects handling- spec- and image quality-wise and I almost walked away with both. I was surprised to see the S95 already on the shelves (I'm currently in HKG.) There's a slight premium being charged but I'd expect that to change quickly.
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2010
    I coveted an S90 all last month while I was away and really needed a pns. I had jusssssst about convinced myself I could justify it when they announce the EOL cycle and the price shot up....so I didn't buy it.

And now it looks like I have two models to choose between rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    Need2SkiNeed2Ski Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited August 22, 2010
    michswiss, have you considered something like an Olympus EPL-1 or Panasonic GH-1 (or is it GF-1?). Either would have better high iso capability than a pns, especially if coupled with a relatively fast fixed focal length lens. Not as compact as an S90 but IQ that rivals crop sensor dSLRs. I've been really impressed with the EPL-1 IQ. It handles like a pns (both a plus and a minus, depending on perspective) and doesn't offer the advantage of having more direct controls of camera functions, and the focus speed is more pns than dSLR like. But the IQ is very good. Lots of folks like the Pany version as well.
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2010
    If you have been thinking of an S90 for a long time, I don't see why you would hold yourself back from the S95. As far as I can see it only makes it better. I bought the S90's competition, the Panasonic LX3, because of the shortcomings of the S90; most of those are addressed in the S95 and might have changed my decision if I was making it today.
  • Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2010
    Diva, I'd go ahead and dive on the S95 if I were you unless the budget doesn't allow. The controls and menus are logically and nicely laid out. There's some shuttle lag, but nothing significant. My reservations about it are handling and the screen, which is purely a personal preference.

Need2Ski, thanks for the suggestions. I've looked at the other systems as well but I'm not sold on the 4/3 systems. The cameras certainly look nice, but they are slightly too bulky for the alternative I'm looking for away from my dSLR. The NEX with the pancake is almost exactly between the Olly/ Pany and the S95 in size. The NEX is a larger aps-c sensor and has gotten good reviews for image quality, albeit not so much for menu's and controls. Plus, it fits my hands better than the other models.
  • Options
    EmmettEmmett Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited August 24, 2010
    I just bought an S90. $339 on Amazon. As I see it the S95 has the same sensor, lens and LCD screen as the S90. They've fiddled with the buttons and added HD video, which I don't need. It's basicly the same camera and I'm happy to save the 60 bucks.

In fact I'm much happier than that as the S90 is over £300 here and I paid the equivalent of £222 buying it in the States. It just so happens that I'll be in Phoenix next week so I should be picking it up when I arrive!

I love it when a plan comes together. thumb.gif
  • Options
    gecko0gecko0 Registered Users Posts: 383 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2010
    update...

I pulled the trigger on the S95 and am waiting for it to arrive at the end of the week. Newegg had a 10% off coupon last week, so that helped make up my mind. :)
    Canon 7D and some stuff that sticks on the end of it.