Options

monopod recommendations

rickprickp Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
edited August 24, 2010 in Accessories
hey guys and gals,
I'm looking for some monopod recommendations.
I would like something out of carbon so it can go in the water and not corrode, also for the weight.

I went to my local photo shop and saw a good manfrotto model and a gitzo model too. One was made out of aluminum and the other out of carbon and the weight difference was negligible to be honest.
The manfrotto had a snap like locking system while the gitzo had a rotating ring which I like a bit more. Is there a preference out there for one or the other locking system?
The price range that I would be willing to pay is no more than 150 to 200 at the most.

The manfrotto model I say was $60, it was made out of aluminum. The carbon was $150 and weighted the same as the aluminum. Both had the snap locking system.

The Gitzo that I saw and like the most was made out of carbon 6x had the ring locking system, was not much lighter than the manfrotto but cost $300. Which sucks to be honest, but the story of my life.LOL!!!!

So what do you guys think??

R.
Canon 5DMk II | 70-200mm f2.8 IS USM | 24-105mm f4.0 IS USM | 85mm f1.8 prime.

Comments

• Options
    cab.in.bostoncab.in.boston Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2010
    I have a Giotto's aluminum monopod, so I can't comment on reco's for you since you want CF. But for the head, I would recommend this from Kirk, of course that's assuming you use the Arca Swiss compatible system for tripod work. I like having consistency across the board, and just leaving the mounting plate on my camera at all times. It lets you go from handheld to tripod to monopod very easily and quickly. Just my opinion... Good luck with your monopod search.
    Father, husband, dog lover, engineer, Nikon shooter
    My site 365 Project
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2010
    I like and use a Giottos Aluminmum P-pod.....it is a mono pod that has legs stored in the lowest section...
    It can be used for macro work down low....the most versatile mono pod I have every seen.....
    it is a tad heavier than some others due to the steel legs but it comes with carry strap so it
    has never been a problem for me..............................
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited August 21, 2010
    I have a Giotto's aluminum monopod, so I can't comment on reco's for you since you want CF. But for the head, I would recommend this from Kirk, of course that's assuming you use the Arca Swiss compatible system for tripod work. I like having consistency across the board, and just leaving the mounting plate on my camera at all times. It lets you go from handheld to tripod to monopod very easily and quickly. Just my opinion... Good luck with your monopod search.

This is the Grip I use http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/554077-REG/Manfrotto_222.html with my manfrotto tripod. I also have the quick detach plate on my camera and big lenses.

It's not that I WANT a carbon monopod, its just that it's my understanding that they are a better system. They are lighter and don't corrode.
    But I'll say this. The 2 mono's that I saw today, one aluminum and the other carbon didn't have that much difference in weight and the price was a BIG difference.

What locking system is preferred, the snap locks like manfrotto has or the rings like gitzo?

R.
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2010
    Art,
    Do you have a link to that monopod?

Thanks for the info.

R.
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2010
    Cameta Camera on Ebay......... a very trust
    worthy store..........and $16 cheaper than B&H :-}} Cameta is great unless you are
    of course superstitious and fear that the AmityVille Evil may follow your order........
    Oh yeah I just heard the house is up for sale and the furnishings are to be auctioned off.........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    cab.in.bostoncab.in.boston Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2010
    rickp wrote: »
    What locking system is preferred, the snap locks like manfrotto has or the rings like gitzo?

R.

I think that's personal preference. I hear that the snap locks can pinch the skin on your hand if you're not very careful and/or trying to set up in a hurry. Plus, they have the potential to snag on loose items. I prefer and have the twist locks on both my mono and tripods. But whatever feels comfortable for you is best, I'd say. Once they're set up, I don't think one is any better or more stable than the other.
    Father, husband, dog lover, engineer, Nikon shooter
    My site 365 Project
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2010
    I have had some real nasty pinches (actually brought blood) from snap locks on manfrotto tripods.......
    That helped convince me to move to Giottos.......
    The key to twist locks is to not over tighten..........

• Options
    edited August 22, 2010
    Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback.
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2010
    Art Scott wrote: »
    I like and use a Giottos Aluminmum P-pod.....it is a mono pod that has legs stored in the lowest section...
    It can be used for macro work down low....the most versatile mono pod I have every seen.....
    it is a tad heavier than some others due to the steel legs but it comes with carry strap so it
    has never been a problem for me..............................

I've had the same monopod for the past years. It's a bit heavy, but I've been happy with it overall.
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2010
    Mitchell wrote: »
    I've had the same monopod for the past years. It's a bit heavy, but I've been happy with it overall.

Mine has been used as a light stands and a mic stand.......it is very versatile ....I really both my Giottos mono and tripods for their versatility........

• Options
    ImageX PhotographyImageX Photography Registered Users Posts: 528 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2010
    I was checking out a Manfrotto in the store the other day. I REALLY REALLY liked it. It just felt super sturdy and well built. I can't comment on the snap locks pinching though. I may go back and buy it as it was only like $89. I have a cheap monopod that does the job but you know how it is. Might have to use it with gloves on though! haha
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2010
    That's how I felt about the manfrotto too, especially since it wasn't much heavier than the carbon and the price was a big difference.

The carbon one I really did like though was $300.00 but very solid.