Options

A day (or so) at Mount Rainier

ksproulksproul Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
edited August 27, 2010 in Landscapes
My wife and I got back last night from a couple days hanging around Mount Rainier and Mount Saint Helens. We got to Mount Rainier on Thursday night just in time for sunset. We hopped around between Paradise, Sunrise, and Tipsoo Lake for the next 24 hours or so (along with some sleep at a motel in Packwood). The next day, we headed to Mount Saint Helens, but the weather didn't really cooperate, so I'm focusing on my Mount Rainier photos here.

Since this is my first image post here, I looked around but didn't see any guidelines for how many photos I'm supposed to post in a thread. Here are my top 8 of the 15 I finished processing. If you want to see more, just let me know!

Comments and criticism are appreciated!

01. Sunset at Reflection Lakes:
rainier01.jpg

02. Just after sunrise at Reflection Lakes:
rainier04.jpg

03. Edith Creek at Paradise:
rainier05.jpg

04. Wildflowers at Paradise:
rainier06.jpg

05. Midday at Sunrise:
rainier10.jpg

06. Fawn at Paradise:
rainier11.jpg

07. Sunset at Upper Tipsoo Lake:
rainier14.jpg

08. Sunset at Upper Tipsoo Lake:
rainier15.jpg
Kris

Comments

• Options
    sgonensgonen Registered Users Posts: 178 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2010
    Wow, everyone is taking shots of Mt. Rainier (It's even on the front cover of Outdoor Photographer). All these look so familiar and bring back memories (I was there couple of weeks ago) - these are really good! clap.gif
  • Options
    bryanj87bryanj87 Registered Users Posts: 859 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2010
    Welcome to dgrin! Great series of shots for your first post! I really like 5 and 8.
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2010
    Excellent set. Love the fawn capture. Interesting comp at Edith Creek clap.gif
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2010
    Thanks for the comments!

As for the composition at Edith Creek, I would've loved to have gotten right down near the water to shoot a shot like the one that was on the cover of Outdoor Photographer this month, but the last time I was there shooting, I saw people get yelled at and threatened with fines twice for being off the trail right there, and additionally, they had it roped off this time. So I got as low as I could and decided to incorporate some of the flowers on the left-hand bank of the creek. Looking at it now, I wish the waterfall was more prominent, but I'm not sure how I could've accomplished that.

I'll probably be back there again for more shooting either one evening this week or this weekend though, so I'll see what else I can do.
    Kris
  • Options
    squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2010
    that last shot of sunset from Tipsoo Lake is wonderful... terrific colors, and the lake cooperated with a nice reflection. well done!
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
  • Options
    WillCADWillCAD Registered Users Posts: 722 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2010
    sgonen wrote: »
    Wow, everyone is taking shots of Mt. Rainier (It's even on the front cover of Outdoor Photographer). All these look so familiar and bring back memories (I was there couple of weeks ago) - these are really good! clap.gif

Yeah, with all those Dgrinner up there, I'm surprised that there aren't huge crowds in every shot.

Then again, Dgrinners are probably much more considerate than the average tourist: "Everybody take two steps back! It's Kris' turn to shoot!"
    What I said when I saw the Grand Canyon for the first time: "The wide ain't wide enough and the zoom don't zoom enough!"
  • Options
    Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2010
    The first shots kinda gave me that 'meh' feeling (mostly because this mountain has been covered extensively lately :D) but then the shots kept getting better and better, ending in the grand finale! thumb.gif Wowzers, what photo's those last three! bowdown.gif
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2010
    The last three in particular are stunning. I think my favorite is the sunset from Tipsoo Lake. What an incredible light show you had!
  • Options
    Roaddog 52Roaddog 52 Registered Users Posts: 309 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2010
    Some great images, the last three are stand outs. Mt Rainier has been done and done again, but I never tire of seeing new interpretations and new lighting situations.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    As a matter of fact, I will be trying to sneak away from work a couple of days this week to return to the Mountain.<o:p></o:p>
    I don't know where I'm goin, but I'm goin anyway.
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2010
    squirl033 wrote: »
    that last shot of sunset from Tipsoo Lake is wonderful... terrific colors, and the lake cooperated with a nice reflection. well done!
    schmoo wrote: »
    The last three in particular are stunning. I think my favorite is the sunset from Tipsoo Lake. What an incredible light show you had!

Thank you! We felt extremely fortunate to be at Tipsoo Lake for that amazing sunset. Being Friday night, I figured we'd have the company of some other photographers there (as I've seen for a few sunrises there), but my wife and I were the only ones there. We definitely felt like we were at the right place at the right time!
    Kris
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2010
    Roaddog 52 wrote: »
    Some great images, the last three are stand outs. Mt Rainier has been done and done again, but I never tire of seeing new interpretations and new lighting situations.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    As a matter of fact, I will be trying to sneak away from work a couple of days this week to return to the Mountain.<o:p></o:p>

Thanks for the comments! I don't think I could ever get sick of visiting and photographing the area around that mountain. In fact, I'm hoping to head back out there sometime this week to get some more shots as well. I figure if I head straight out after work, I can get in a little bit of shooting before the sun goes down, as we did on Thursday night at Reflection Lakes. This time, I think I'd head straight to the wildflowers at Paradise to get some golden hour shots there, as we didn't really do that on this trip (since we headed out to Tipsoo Lake for that sunset). I'm thinking about checking out Mazama Ridge, as I keep hearing that the meadows there are great, and we didn't make it there this time. From what I understand, it's a short hike from the Paradise area.
    Kris
  • Options
    scolescole Registered Users Posts: 378 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2010
    Welcome. Really fine shots with #1,6, and 8 being standouts for me. My only nit is with #1. Is it a ND Grad or Photoshop exposure blend? The foreground just seems oddly lit compared to the rest of the scene. It's like you pushed the levels just a tad too much. That said, #8 is WOW quality. That deserves a large print size in your home. Well done with the capture and processing.
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2010
    scole wrote: »
    Welcome. Really fine shots with #1,6, and 8 being standouts for me. My only nit is with #1. Is it a ND Grad or Photoshop exposure blend? The foreground just seems oddly lit compared to the rest of the scene. It's like you pushed the levels just a tad too much. That said, #8 is WOW quality. That deserves a large print size in your home. Well done with the capture and processing.

Thanks for the feedback. For #1, I did use a 3-stop grad ND and I also bumped up the "fill" when processing the raw file in ACR/Photoshop. I will say that it was my first time using a grad ND filter, which I had just purchased that day. I definitely need to do some experimenting and learning before I'll feel comfortable with those. Still, I thought I'd try it out, as the sky was way brighter than the foreground (although the reflection in the lake made the filter difficult to work with). Still, I think most of what you're seeing is due to the raw processing and not the filter. When processing the image yesterday, I just wanted to make the foreground brighter so the flowers wouldn't be in the dark, but I may have gone a tad too far with it. I appreciate the feedback.

As for printing the last one, I definitely want to do that. I haven't gotten into making my own prints yet, so I'll have to have it done somewhere, but I definitely want to do it.

Speaking of that photo (pink sunset), does anyone have any feedback on the composition? I really wanted to show the full reflection without cutting the tops of the trees off, but that led to the horizon being near the dead center. I think it works for this one, but I'd still like some other opinions. I considered cropping it a bit closer and filling more of the frame with the pink color, but opted not to. I probably have 50 or so pictures of this sunset (I was bracketing: -2, 0, +2) while it was pink out, with varied compositions. I think this one was cropped a little, but is pretty close to how I framed it in the camera. I chose it because of the intense pink color (this was pretty much the peak) and because the composition was just about my favorite. Any thoughts? I'm always looking for any feedback to help improve. Thanks!
    Kris
  • Options
    Dimitri_VDimitri_V Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited August 24, 2010
    Excellent series, last one is stunning.
  • Options
    BenA2BenA2 Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2010
    No. 7 is the real winner for me. It's very moving. Nice work.
  • Options
    quarkquark Registered Users Posts: 510 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2010
    I agree, the last one is amazing!
    heather dillon photography - Pacific Northwest Portraits and Places
    facebook
    photoblog

Quarks are one of the two basic constituents of matter in the Standard Model of particle physics.
  • Options
    OobersOobers Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited August 27, 2010
    This is a superb set of landscapes, beautifully lit, composed and exposed.
    Guy
  • Options
    edited August 27, 2010
    Thank you all for the kind words!

On that note, I'm headed back out to Mount Rainier in the morning to hopefully get some more shots. It's looking like the morning weather might cooperate.
    Kris