Options

Tall tripod that won't break the bank?

JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
edited August 27, 2010 in Accessories
king for a tripod that won't bust the bank (around $600)

So far I've come up with the Gitzo Giant, GT-5561SGT ($1200), Gitzo GT3541XLS ($879) and Manfrotto 536 (the only real contender at $600 with the self leveling head.)

Do I Go in debt for the Giant and just suck it up? Reason being I need a large tripod is my height (6'9") and I need some flexibility with hanging off rocks/weird locations shooting. So the GT really appeals to me at 8' tall... but that $1200 is a LOT to swallow. Plus the Gitzo's you need to pay another $280 on top of that price for the self-leveling head. So more like $1500 and $1100 for the two GITZO options.

Just don't know if there are other options. I've found threads from 2008 online, but I'm thinking there MAY be some other options, but I sure as hell haven't found them.

Weight isn't a HUGE consideration, but under 8lbs would really be nice considering my Calumet Tripod is about 8 years old and oh, 13lbs. So I could easily handle 8.

Comments

• Options
    cab.in.bostoncab.in.boston Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2010
    At 6'9" you make me feel like a shrimp at a mere 6'5". :D

I recently bought a tripod, and like you I was looking for one that I could shoot at eye level with. I ended up with a Giottos MT9371 (link). I had done the math and figured that once I added a head on it, I'd need to extend the center column 2-3 inches to reach eye level. But when I received it, it was actually slightly too tall for me to comfortably shoot at eye level, so I use it with the lower leg sections not quite fully extended. I think it would be fairly comfortable for someone your height, and you could use the center column to raise the last inch or two if needed.

It's aluminum so a little heavier than CF for hiking, and 3 sections rather than 4, which is good for stability but not for compact dimensions for traveling with it. They make CF and 4 section versions, it just varies the height and price a bit. I figured for my use, the 3 section aluminum one would be fine, and I love it so far (had it a little over a month now).

The legs were a bit over $200 from B&H, but of course that's without a head. I added a Kirk BH-3 head for another $275 and an L-plate for my D300 for ~$130. So it ended up about $650 shipped. That does not include a leveling head, so as that sounds important to you, you may need to look elsewhere, or add something like the Acratech or Manfrotto leveling base. Those of course would raise the price another $100-150, and would also increase the height of the whole kit (which is probably not a bad thing for you).

So anyway, take that for what it's worth. I'm quite happy with my setup, so I think Giottos is definitely worth taking a look. Good luck!
    Father, husband, dog lover, engineer, Nikon shooter
    My site 365 Project
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2010
    Thanks for the info. I do believe I'm just going to blow my budget out of the watter and go balls to the wall and get the Gitzo Giant. It's 8ft tall fully extended... and should work quite well if I have to stand on a rock and extend legs below me to get a good vantage point. So much for wanting to keep my spending down? Laughing.gif
  • Options
    joglejogle Registered Users Posts: 422 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2010
    The Feisol CF tripods are great for the money, I've had a small one for 5 years, got a monopod last year and am about to order a larger one.

Their tallest is the $378 3371 at 205cm (6 foot 8 inches) with the centre column up. http://www.feisol.com/english/3371.htm
    jamesOgle photography
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it." -A.Adams[/FONT]
  • Options
    edited August 27, 2010
    jogle wrote: »
    The Feisol CF tripods are great for the money, I've had a small one for 5 years, got a monopod last year and am about to order a larger one.

Their tallest is the $378 3371 at 205cm (6 foot 8 inches) with the centre column up. http://www.feisol.com/english/3371.htm

Almost... with the Feisol. Max height WITHOUT the Center column is a mere 5ft. I would use the self leveling head, as I plan on with the Gitzo, so max height has to be the height MINUS center column extension. Not easy to find.

Besides, Gitzo or not, I'm like a lot of photographers who REFUSE to put the center column up on my tripod. Last time I did, it shook and screwed my hard work up. So no more "Extends to" Tripods.

Thanks for the info though. :)