Options

To all you lens renters ...

AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
edited August 26, 2010 in Weddings
... where do you rent your lenses? I want to try a new one, and thought I'd get some recommendations from you :D Aaaaaaanybody?

Comments

• Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2010
    borrowlenses.com

perfect service last time on the PC-45mm.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2010
    there are several and if one isn't local to you, borrowlenses.com

even then, they are cheaper than the local place :)
    //Leah
  • Options
    cmkultradomecmkultradome Registered Users Posts: 516 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2010
    I don't shoot weddings but have been renting from www.lensrentals.com
    for landscape and sports shooting. Have been very happy with them, used them at least 5 times so far and getting ready to rent again next month when I head out to the Southwest.

Stephanie
  • Options
    Photog4ChristPhotog4Christ Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2010
    I rent from LensRentals.com. They're much cheaper than my local place! My local place requires a deposit equal to the actual cost of the lens!

*** In the interest of fairness and full disclosure: LensRentals.com now sponsors my SMUG Group, but they didn't at the time I posted this reply. ***
  • Options
    Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2010
    Angie, LensRentals.com, hands down. They're in Tenn. and not only have never had a problem with them on any level, but excellent customer service which is king in my book. Give them a try. thumb.gif
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2010
    lensrentals.com, borrowlenses.com, lensprotogo.com, rentglass.com, ziplens.com

Those are all of the sites I know of. Some of them I have never heard any reviews from personally, except lensprotogo.com which my friends have used a lot. They all have various selections of lenses for you to choose from.

Personally I rent locally because I'm lucky enough to have a rental place a few mins from my house, and they don't put a hold on your credit card for the value of the equipment like Calumet and Samy's do.

(Pro Photo Connection in Irvine CA)

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    sdaztec25sdaztec25 Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited August 23, 2010
    I have had very good luck with Lens Pro to Go. www.lensprotogo.com
    Travis Miller Photography

| Canon EOS 7D | Canon 18-135mm IS | Canon 70-200mm f/4L IS |Canon 50mm f/1.4 |
  • Options
    adpaceadpace Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2010
    I would second or third lensrentals.com. I have rented many lenses from them and have never had an issue. ;)
  • Options
    cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2010
    Just used borrowlenses.com for the first time last week. Completely happy.
  • Options
    cj99sicj99si Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2010
    What lensmwink.gif
  • Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2010
    Thanks so much you guys, you're the best.

I guess it ended up being a toss up between lensrentals.com, & borrowlenses.com and I went with BorrowLenses, mostly because I could find my lens faster (oh, and Corey - I got the 85mm /1.4, ... just had to try it, since I can't find the $$ right now to buy it ... since I don't *really* need it)

One more question. How long do you usually rent equipment for? It looks like it gets "cheaper" the longer you rent it for ... just wasn't really sure what to do as I only wanted to try the lens. I only got it for 3 days, will have it with me on 3 shoots, so it won't give me much room to play, but I guess I will get a tasty-taste.

Thanks again for your quick responses, I appreciate it iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2010
    I've rented for longer so I could get as much use as possible. I think 10 days or 2 weeks? I just bought the 85 1.4, and love it. I've rented the 24-70 several times, and found it very useful. I shoot far more portraits than wedding, though.

Caroline
  • Options
    cab.in.bostoncab.in.boston Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2010
    FWIW, you could look into glassandgear.com (I have no affiliation with them) and you could pick up locally at Hunt's in Harvard Square or Kenmore Square (or other locations as well, see their website). There's a little price break for pickup vs. shipped, and you could have it sooner, if that matters to you. Obviously if you're planning out well in advance, the shipping time should be no problem. Anyway, just wanted to let you know that there is a local place that seems to get good reviews. I've never rented any gear, and I'm sure borrowlenses is wonderful, but they are 3k miles away as opposed to a short drive to a local place.
    Father, husband, dog lover, engineer, Nikon shooter
    My site 365 Project
  • Options
    Cousin MadnessCousin Madness Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
    edited August 26, 2010
    For those north of the border here in Canada, I cater to many wedding photographers.

We've tested a "wedding package" over the last 2 months (quietly with the locals) and it has been more than well received. The package includes a Canon 7D with grip, EF24-70f2.8L, EF70-200f2.8L & 580EXII flash for less than $200 (Can) for a 3 day weekend. This covers the most popular wedding days so it's possible to shoot two weddings and perhaps a portrait/engagement session on the Sunday for a very economical price.

Two of the four weekends in Sept are booked already. I think the US rental outlets should offer a similar service to Wedding photographers for it's a prolific industry. If nothing else, use the rental gear as your prime and own equipment as a back-up. I realize most pro's will want the full frame, but this package was simply a test. Adding the 5D MkII to the package would be an obvious next step.

Cheers.

Martin :)
    Some call me crazy - but friends call me Mad.

:photoCanada Lens Rentals - Come join us on Facebook

Canon 7D, EF 15mm Fisheye, EF 400 f2.8, EF 300f2.8, EF 100-400L IS, EF 70-200 f2.8, EF24-70 f2.8, 580EX II. Manfrotto mono, 055 ProB, 701 Video head.
    First SLR Zenith B, 12th Birthday 1972.
    Martin.