Options

Recording Music

PindyPindy Registered Users Posts: 1,089 Major grins
edited August 26, 2010 in Street and Documentary
All shot with BD's old 35mm Summilux—Thanks BD!

979916760_5DeHk-L.jpg

This one seems like it could be 1956.
979902014_oJquP-L.jpg

Difficult light inside a control room—some of the worst lit rooms on earth. Still we must do our best.
979909483_atXZV-L.jpg

First chair bass (the great Mary Scully) rehearsing.
979917102_BusyB-L.jpg

The leader (Perry) and some of the orchestra on a break.
979912523_7QEZv-L.jpg

The horns.
979912939_CPWtK-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2010
    Like #2 the best. As you said, could be out of 1956, cigarette and all (if not for those darn things on their wrists!).
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2010
    rainbow wrote: »
    Like #2 the best. As you said, could be out of 1956, cigarette and all (if not for those darn things on their wrists!).

Right? Dual Casio threat. Thanks for looking.
  • Options
    r3t1awr3ydr3t1awr3yd Registered Users Posts: 1,000 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2010
    I don't know why I think these pictures are fantastic but I'm going to figure it out and try to reproduce this look...

Hi! I'm Wally: website | blog | facebook | IG | scotchNsniff
    Nikon addict. D610, Tok 11-16, Sig 24-35, Nik 24-70/70-200vr
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2010
    wow man i wanna visit this place...
    awesome 2 and 3 are my favorites!
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2010
    Fabulous set. And I want to know who was recording and where! thumb.gif
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited August 25, 2010
    wow man i wanna visit this place...
    awesome 2 and 3 are my favorites!
    15524779-Ti.gif. 2 is timeless and I've always wanted to play with a huge mixing console. Well done.
  • Options
    edited August 25, 2010
    Thanks everybody. I'll see if I have some more of interest.
    divamum wrote: »
    Fabulous set. And I want to know who was recording and where! thumb.gif

The composer is Henry Jackman for the film Gulliver's Travels. The location is Air Studios at Lyndhurst Hall in Hampstead. The band is a hand-picked subset of the great orchestras of London, the LSO, BBC, etc.

George Martin bought this Victorian-era church in the 80's I believe and converted it. Not positive who owns it now, but the place is a treasure.
  • Options
    edited August 25, 2010
    r3t1awr3yd wrote: »
    I don't know why I think these pictures are fantastic but I'm going to figure it out and try to reproduce this look...

Good old Ilford XP2 Super. You are very kind, especially since I didn't always nail the exposure!
  • Options
    edited August 25, 2010
    Pindy wrote: »
    Thanks everybody. I'll see if I have some more of interest.

The composer is Henry Jackman for the film Gulliver's Travels. The location is Air Studios at Lyndhurst Hall in Hampstead. The band is a hand-picked subset of the great orchestras of London, the LSO, BBC, etc.

George Martin bought this Victorian-era church in the 80's I believe and converted it. Not positive who owns it now, but the place is a treasure.

Oh, you're in LONDON - I assumed it was in LA (from your profile location, or Boston, since you mentioned BD). This actually answers all the other questions I had... not least of which why the entire scenario(and some of the people :D) looked so very familiar: I used to sing with the Philharmonia Chorus in my student days, and recorded with the Philharmonia orchestra in London several times. All makes sense now! thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited August 25, 2010
    Here's the exterior of the place:
    979926009_xS3Rj-L.jpg

(I really must correct the tilt, but I'd lose the lovely ceiling)
    979917618_i9dWw-XL.jpg

Are we rolling?
    979909028_isshc-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 25, 2010
    Oh, you're in LONDON - I assumed it was in LA (from your profile location, or Boston, since you mentioned BD). This actually answers all the other questions I had... not least of which why the entire scenario(and some of the people :D) looked so very familiar: I used to sing with the Philharmonia Chorus in my student days, and recorded with the Philharmonia orchestra in London several times. All makes sense now! thumb.gif

Ha! We are lucky to travel sometimes to record music. It's certainly a small community, ain't it? Your dgrin handle finally becomes clear!
  • Options
    edited August 25, 2010
    Pindy wrote: »
    Ha! We are lucky to travel sometimes to record music. It's certainly a small community, ain't it? Your dgrin handle finally becomes clear!

:D

If you're still there (or go back) have you ever been to the Henry Wood Hall in London? Another converted church prized for its acoustics, and often used for recording.
  • Options
    edited August 25, 2010
    :D

If you're still there (or go back) have you ever been to the Henry Wood Hall in London? Another converted church prized for its acoustics, and often used for recording.

Back home already. I have never heard of the Henry Wood Hall. I'll bet our orchestrator knows it well.
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2010
    I was just ecstatic to see an analogue desk. Great shots though, nice flavor.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2010
    I was just ecstatic to see an analogue desk. Great shots though, nice flavor.

Thank you. AMS/Neve 88R. A beauty!