Welcome to the Wildlife Forum

HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
edited February 19, 2011 in Wildlife
Welcome to Dgrin’s Wildlife Forum. I hope you enjoy hanging out here and that you will join in and have some fun with us

This is a place where you can post some of your own work and get some encouragement and some ideas on how to improve your photography. Its also a place where you can and hopefully will comment on the images of others, ask some questions, and provide some critique from your perspective.
This forum works best when we all participate. Let’s say you just posted one of your own pictures and you’re about to go off and have a brisket sandwich. STOP!!!!!!

Have your commented on the images of others before you go off? If you haven’t then you’re really not participating. You’ll find that folks are more likely to comment on your work if they see you commenting on the images of others.

When you comment on an image try to say why you like it. Even more important is telling the poster how you think the image(s) can be improved. How’s the composition? the exposure? the subject’s head angle? The colors? etc, etc. I love hearing someone tell me how good one of my images may be but I learn the most when someone tells me how to improve my work.

If you see some stuff that you really like don’t hesitate to ask the poster how she/he got those captures. You’ll probably learn some stuff along with a bunch of other folks who didn’t ask the question.

If you have any ideas or suggestions for this forum please don’t hesitate to PM me.
Harry
http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"

Comments

• Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2010
    Well...I see 135 people have at least opened this sticky...hope they agree with it's contents and therefore have nothing to say about it. Otherwise they are not getting the message.

Nice sensible useable suggestions and rule. (I'm more of a slut though) :D

Thanks for posting this, Harry.
  • me_minihahame_minihaha Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
    edited June 22, 2010
    Hello!! ok so what does this mean? I have problems processing information lol.....

"Finally I only have one semi-rule here. Please don’t be a post whore. Try to limit yourself to 2 active picture threads on page 1 at a time. This will leave space for others to get some commenets on their own threads.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p> "

Does that mean commenting on other peoples posts or starting threads? I just want to get it right, I have a tendancy to think to much lol I drive myself crazy!!!<!-- / message --><!-- sig --><!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
    Victoria
    "It's awesome to be ALIVE!"
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2010
    Hello!! ok so what does this mean? I have problems processing information lol.....

"Finally I only have one semi-rule here. Please don’t be a post whore. Try to limit yourself to 2 active picture threads on page 1 at a time. This will leave space for others to get some commenets on their own threads.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p> "

Does that mean commenting on other peoples posts or starting threads? I just want to get it right, I have a tendancy to think to much lol I drive myself crazy!!!<!-- / message --><!-- sig --><!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

It means starting more than two threads at a time. Very often newbies come in with a lot of enthusiasm and start 4-5 threads at a time.
    Harry
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
    edited June 22, 2010
    Ric Grupe wrote: »
    Well...I see 135 people have at least opened this sticky...hope they agree with it's contents and therefore have nothing to say about it. Otherwise they are not getting the message.

Nice sensible useable suggestions and rule. (I'm more of a slut though) :D

Thanks for posting this, Harry.

Thanks Ric and hopfully the message will go forth.
    Harry
  • StashStash Registered Users Posts: 129 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2010
    ne_nau.gif

I just read your one rule Harry. And I've broken it already!:banned

I was going to post one thread each day until I got bored, but I guess I will have to slow down on that. Please delete a thread if you feel it's too much.

Cheers

Don
    C&C always welcome. I can't learn if I don't know what I've done wrong or could do better.

http://donbirch.smugmug.com/
    edited August 27, 2010
    Stash wrote: »
    ne_nau.gif

I just read your one rule Harry. And I've broken it already!:banned

I was going to post one thread each day until I got bored, but I guess I will have to slow down on that. Please delete a thread if you feel it's too much.

Cheers

Don

Not to worry Don, as I said its only a semi-rule. If I have two posts on page one and want to post a new thread I will just comment on some other posts until I push my old threads of page 1 and then start my new thread.
    Harry
    edited August 27, 2010
    Harryb wrote: »
    Not to worry Don, as I said its only a semi-rule.

Hey Don...Harry has an African trip in the planning stage or he probably would have banned you!!!rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif
    edited August 27, 2010
    Ric Grupe wrote: »
    Hey Don...Harry has an African trip in the planning stage or he probably would have banned you!!!rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif

If he had started three squirrel, puppy dog or kitty cat threads
    :grim:hung:banned
    Harry
    edited August 27, 2010

Well...that certainly would have been justifiable! rolleyes1.gifD
  • StashStash Registered Users Posts: 129 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2010

So now I know how to stay on Harry's good side! No squirrels, no dogs and we have a strong dislike of cats in common!

I guess the fact that I believe "birds are just squirrels with wings" I'll keep to myself!!

If you have questions about Africa Harry, I can try to answer from what I know. I've been to Kenya/Tanzania twice so far. And one trip to Rwanda.

Cheers,

Don
    C&C always welcome. I can't learn if I don't know what I've done wrong or could do better.

http://donbirch.smugmug.com/
    edited August 28, 2010
    Stash wrote: »
    I guess the fact that I believe "birds are just squirrels with wings" I'll keep to myself!!

Don

I see some serious attitude readjustment is in order here.:whip
    Harry
  • fldspringerfldspringer Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
    edited August 28, 2010
    Is this where I post my doggie picne_nau.gif

667321792_rMHV4-XL.jpg
  • brancaleonebrancaleone Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited November 3, 2010
    Rules
    Sorry folks, may I suggest a semyrule for this and hope for other forums? Can we limit the use of "Smilies" or/and "Icons" to a maximum of 2 (two) for each posting?

Thank you.

Brancaleone
    edited November 7, 2010
    Sorry folks, may I suggest a semyrule for this and hope for other forums? Can we limit the use of "Smilies" or/and "Icons" to a maximum of 2 (two) for each posting?

Thank you.

Brancaleone

headscratch.gifne_nau.gif

:nah
    Harry
  • BekkieBekkie Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited December 23, 2010
    It's good to read the comments as well as the original post. I have just entered the realm of Digital Grin as of today. Looks like I've a ton of reading to do before posting anything!

Bekkie
    edited December 23, 2010
    headscratch.gifne_nau.gif

:nah

rolleyes1.gifI just now saw this!rolleyes1.gif

wings.gif....oops.
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited December 30, 2010
    Moving through the Wildlife groups did I see a group set up with the topic "Murdering Squirrels" ?
    Olde Guy
    edited January 3, 2011
    Olde Guy wrote: »
    Moving through the Wildlife groups did I see a group set up with the topic "Murdering Squirrels" ?
    Olde Guy

Not yet but that sure is a fine idea.
    Harry
  • NetgardenNetgarden Registered Users Posts: 829 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2011
    Hello! Couldn't agree with you more, Harry. If people don't contribute [other than their own posts,], it becomes dominated by some who post and disappear, with no input for others. I really think that people don't realize every time they bring up their own post, it shoves another one off the page. I had a health forum for years, and finally after 15,000 posts exausted of my own and a few others, I posted at the top of the page: "IF YOU WANT PEOPLE TO POST TO YOUR POSTS, THEN PLEASE CONTRIBUTE BACK TO THEIRS". It really helped because some people don't realize thats whats needed to keep it working well.
  • CountrylovingmammaCountrylovingmamma Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins

Newbie to the forums and still learning how to post and where to post. You have many good rules that should be easy enough to follow, I will try not to be a lurker :p

• SJOttoRodgersSJOttoRodgers Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
    Hello! Newbie to the forums. I have been a member of SmugMug for several years but am just now diving in to participate in the forums.