Options

WTB: RRS L-plate for Nikon D90

GroovyGeekGroovyGeek Registered Users Posts: 82 Big grins
edited August 28, 2010 in Nikon Land
Looking for an RRS L-plate for my Nikon D90 (w/o grip). Note that I am looking for the D90 model specifically. The D80 model will mostly work, but it is a tight fit around communications port.

I *strongly* prefer RRS over Kirk, as they scribe the mounting points for a nodal slide on the bracket. Kirk does not do that, nor can they be bothered to answer email on their location so their customers can do it themselves.

Comments

• Options
    cab.in.bostoncab.in.boston Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2010
    GroovyGeek wrote: »
    I *strongly* prefer RRS over Kirk, as they scribe the mounting points for a nodal slide on the bracket. Kirk does not do that, nor can they be bothered to answer email on their location so their customers can do it themselves.

FWIW, I just purchased a Kirk L-bracket for my D300, and they do have a mark on the bracket noting the center of the sensor location. The QR clamp on the ballhead also has markings to line up with the bracket marks. I think I read that these have just newly been added to the Kirk parts, but they are definitely there on the parts I just bought a few weeks back.
    Father, husband, dog lover, engineer, Nikon shooter
    My site 365 Project
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2010
    Interesting. Do they have marks on both the long and the short arm of the L-plate? I have an older plate of theirs and they most definitely do not have marks. They also ignored multiple requests to tell me where the marks should be so I can scribe them myself with a diamond scribe. As a result I am not going to be buying much from them going forward, unless I have absolutely no other choice.
  • Options
    cab.in.bostoncab.in.boston Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2010
    Yes, there are centering marks on both portrait and landscape orientations. I looked on their site, and the picture of the L-bracket (at least for the D300) still shows no marks so they have not updated their stock photos yet.

Here is a view of their new L-bracket for the Canon T2i, which shows the marks:

BLT2ig.jpg

The QR clamp now looks like this instead of having no marks at all:

pic_preview.php?File=.%2Fimages%2FQRC2.jpg&Size=266&Ratio=1&AutoCrop=0

Sorry to hear you've had bad relations with them. I'm very happy with the L-bracket and ballhead, and the one time I've ever had to correspond via email with them, they responded very quickly, and that was even on a holiday (5th of July - 4th was on Sunday this year).
    Father, husband, dog lover, engineer, Nikon shooter
    My site 365 Project
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2010
    Still looking