Flight of the pelican

Osprey WhispererOsprey Whisperer Registered Users Posts: 3,803 Major grins
edited August 10, 2005 in Wildlife
Some pelicans in flight.......shot on the inter-coastal waterway in Venice, Florida. :scratch

MM

45176502.jpg

45176518.jpg

45176656.jpg

45176410.jpg

45176520.jpg

45176448.jpg

45176514.jpg
Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com

Comments

• OwenOwen Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2005
    #3 is my favorite but they're all superb. I think it could stand being a bit softer though. The halo is slightly distracting, whether you had any control over that or not. :P
  • Osprey WhispererOsprey Whisperer Registered Users Posts: 3,803 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2005
    Owen wrote:
    #3 is my favorite but they're all superb. I think it could stand being a bit softer though. The halo is slightly distracting, whether you had any control over that or not. :P
    Thanks... (I think?)... The "halo" in #3? Not sure if you thought some PS work should have been done...or was over done? I have a long way to go to knowing what the heck I'm doing in post processing. I also don't see too well and often worry I over/under sharpen images? Only went "real" digital a few months back. I've been living in the DARK (room) ages for most of my life. I used a Nikon FM2N almost exclusively up until a few months back when I purchased a DSLR. :D I wish I had more time to read/learn photoshop and post processing techniques. Sooooooo much to learn. It's almost like starting over. At least I know how to hold the camera. thumb.gif

Cheers

Mike
    Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2005
    Some pelicans in flight.......shot on the inter-coastal waterway in Venice, Florida. headscratch.gif

MM

Good flight shots with #3 being the best. thumb.gif
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
    edited July 8, 2005
    Thanks Harry. I noticed (and enjoyed) your galleries ..especially the "rookery". Is that the "Venice rookery" by chance ?? eek7.gif I still need to visit this place one of these days.

Noticed you are a Floridian also. I'm a transplant from Illinois. No more shoveling the rain for me. clap.gif Keep your head down and run if you seen Dennis the menace hurricane. Be safe all you folks in the path of this monster.

Regards

Mike
    Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com
    edited July 8, 2005
    p.s. I recognize your avatar, Harry. He's an old friend of mine. thumb.gif
    Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com
    edited August 10, 2005
    Thought I would add a few more pelicans in flight for your viewing pleasure??.

Good light...all.

BMP

45176808.jpg

45176404.jpg

45176506.jpg

45176695.jpg

45176525.jpg
    Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com
  • John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2005
    Love em all.Great shotsthumb.gif
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2005
    Those are really nice pelican shots, birdman. You do birds in flight so well. You do a great job of tracking them, getting them into the lens without clipping the wings! I can see pretty good, doesn't get my birds in my lens.........???

On the first three, and some of the last ones you posted just "now", whenever that was. I would like to see a bit less sharpening. I know I don't take any criticism well myself, so I hate to give it, but when someone is as good as you are............well, it is a small thing.

I love your crispness, just would like to see a bit less sharpening in a few, not all just some. One being the one everyone likes so well: #3. So, I might be wrong, but I don't think so.

Great shooting.

I have an appt early, then would like to shoot, and it would be noon!!! Not a good thought.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2005
    I like the last one on your 1st post myself thumb.gif
    cause I can see his blinking eye :D
    edited August 10, 2005
    Thanks for looking and the kind words, folks. It is always appreciated.

Ginger, No worries on the comments/criticism. It's part of the territory. If you show off your plum feathers all the time. ........sooner or later someone is going to want to pluck, pull or yank them. Sometimes folks want to set them on fire...eek7.gif

I appreciate the sincere advice/criticism. I see (pun intended) what you mean. I fully agree with your (and many others) comments on my over sharpening. (I even admit it above ). I have a terrible time with PP. It's my "weak link" no doubt. I have so much to learn yet .....and that still doesn't help much with the inferior focus system I have. headscratch.gif ** wonders if Ginger received the original PMessage regarding this detail**
    Seeing (pun again) how some images are over sharpened and others from the exact same shoot and PP are not.... it is operator error. ne_nau.gif I really can't tell when they are over/under sharpened. I do what I can..and when they look in focus to me... I go with it. Looks like I need an assistant to look at them while I'm sharpening. Now..if I can just find a really smart, cute single female between the ages of 30-40 to help. thumb.gif

I'm glad I shoot all of my images in RAW and have the files saved (HD, back up HD, multiple DVD discs. etc). I hope to go back when I know more about PP/PS and have some help...and re-do the better shots. Hope to print them up some day also.

Thanks again for the comments. They are always greatly appreciated.

Good shooting.

BMP

Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com