Options

On the road...

bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
edited August 30, 2010 in Street and Documentary
...First was shot on a flight from D.C. to Detroit...

983352882_qsPxm-X2.jpg

Second was shot in Detroit at Good Girls Go to Paris, a crepe place. This was for the ongoing editorial job that's taken me to SF, SoCal, Texas, and will take me to Chicago, NYC, and RI.

983352857_NYM4b-X2.jpg
bd@bdcolenphoto.com
"He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed

Comments

• Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2010
    #2 for sure.
    Love the little details, her fashionable hairnet, her outfit, the motion of her hand on the crepe pan and the kitchen background. It all works. I like the conversion too. Not your usual kitchen outfit.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2010
    #2 for sure.
    Love the little details, her fashionable hairnet, her outfit, the motion of her hand on the crepe pan and the kitchen background. It all works. I like the conversion too. Not your usual kitchen outfit.

That's part of the charm of the place - the outfits and jokiness of it. She's the owner, and it is a booming business, one of the few in the city formerly known as Motown.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• Options
    PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2010
    #2 for me as well. Great details there that draw my eye.
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
    ... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography
  • Options
    edited August 27, 2010
    Thanks, Patti
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited August 28, 2010
    Good subtle color and light in #1. Looks like good food in #2, which wins every time. lol3.gif
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2010
    #2 is wonderful - hope we get some more shots from this project.

#1 is also a winner for me - wish I had taken it. Love the clean, luminescent look, the play of light and shadow on the young woman, the color. It all comes together. Coherent. Peaceful. Very pleasing to look at.

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2010
    Flyinggina wrote: »
    #2 is wonderful - hope we get some more shots from this project.

#1 is also a winner for me - wish I had taken it. Love the clean, luminescent look, the play of light and shadow on the young woman, the color. It all comes together. Coherent. Peaceful. Very pleasing to look at.

Virginia

15524779-Ti.gif completely
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2010
    bfjr wrote: »
    15524779-Ti.gif completely

Thank you both! Glad you saw what I saw. And, yes, Va, I will post some more of these later. I've been shooting people whose stories are told in a new book called SpendShifters, about how people are finding new ways of doing business and adjusting to the changes in the economy. Some of these I've been able to shoot applying my usual documentary standards - the image of Toroya Blanchard, owner of Good Girls Go To Paris, the Detroit crepe place, is an example of that - she made crepes, I shot - end of story. Others have been set up, because there was no alternative.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2010
    This is interesting. Is it a commission, an idea that you've been developing for a while or a collaboration? Fwiw, I've met a couple of well known photographers that also set up scenarios for shots either through conspirators with innocence bystanders or completely staged. I've mulled over the concept of applying street/doco ethos to staged shots a few times.
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2010
    michswiss wrote: »
    This is interesting. Is it a commission, an idea that you've been developing for a while or a collaboration? Fwiw, I've met a couple of well known photographers that also set up scenarios for shots either through conspirators with innocence bystanders or completely staged. I've mulled over the concept of applying street/doco ethos to staged shots a few times.

Nothing so artsy. The book is co-written by a very prolific author and one of the top guys - head of research - at one of the world's largest PR firms. The firm is pushing the book, and I was commissioned to do the photos, which are going to be used in a slide show, ads, etc. The good thing about it is that I will have credit whenever the images are used.mwink.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• Options
    PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2010
    It sounds like an interesting project BD. Looking forward to seeing more.
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
    ... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography
  • Options
    misterbmisterb Banned Posts: 601 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2010
    Definately #2.. it screams Diana Ross! :D