Options

Timelines on Picture Returns

ShutterStaciShutterStaci Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
edited August 31, 2010 in Weddings
Alright, I have a question from the other side of the lens. I mostly do photography for fun and not professionally so this question is for those professionals.

I hired a photographer for my wedding June 3rd. In our contract she stated that I would receive a disc of my pictures 6-8 weeks after. I messaged her on the 21st of july (7 weeks after my wedding) to see if she had an idea when I could expect the pictures.

She said "They should be done the end of next week. Sometimes I can get them done sooner but I have just been crazy busy and I had a bunch of weddings that I had to finish before I could start on yours. They are about half done though! Let me know your address and I'll get the disc mailed out to you as soon as I can. I'll send you an email with the password too as soon I get them posted online."

It is now 9 weeks after my wedding and I dont have the password to view them online nor have I heard any more info. I know it's only a week late. However, my husband is being deployed soon and I would like to get the pictures back before he leaves so he can bring some with him.

Should I contact her again? or am I just being difficult? How long do you pros usually give as a timeline to get pictures back?
Nikon D5000
Nikon P80
Nikkor 22-300 VR
Nikkor 18-55 VR

Comments

• Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2010
    It is now 9 weeks after my wedding and I dont have the password to view them online nor have I heard any more info. I know it's only a week late. However, my husband is being deployed soon and I would like to get the pictures back before he leaves so he can bring some with him.

Should I contact her again? or am I just being difficult? How long do you pros usually give as a timeline to get pictures back?
    Hound the crap out of them. The industry doesn't need to support slackers.

I tell my own brides to hound ME if I delay. It helps me get stuff done. :-P

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    gecko0gecko0 Registered Users Posts: 383 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2010
    +1...hold her to the contract. If she is one week past the contract due date, I would remind her of that. Her saying she is "crazy busy" isn't your problem...it's her poor schedule management. I doubt she would be so forgiving if you were late on full payment for the services outlined in the same contract. Good luck!
    Canon 7D and some stuff that sticks on the end of it.
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2010
    Staci,

I don't like the sound of this. Contact her and let her know you are expecting her to fulfill the contract.

If she goes in to the crazy busy, has them half done and will be done next wek, remind her that's what she said two weeks age.

Tell her your husband is deploying, and ask if she will send a disk with what she has completed so far.

If she refuses you know your in deep dodo.

Also why would she ask for your address? She should have all the contact info.

Sam
  • Options
    SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2010
    I would definitely call her ... but remember that in many cases time in post separates a good image from a timeless image. I am sympathetic to both sides ... overworked and client expectations ... so a "friendly reminder" is in order and mention that your husband is in the Armed Forces and will soon be deployed. Hopefully, she'll provide a discount or a little extra for your patience.

Just like complaining at dinner ... never turn negative until after you get your food ...

Gary
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • Options
    mpriest13mpriest13 Registered Users Posts: 222 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2010
    Just be nice and ask again...telling her about your husband. I am sure she is nearly done. After that I would call her every week (at least) until you get your pictures. I like Matt's attitude. The hounding does get the ball rolling.
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2010
    Seefutlung wrote: »
    ... but remember that in many cases time in post separates a good image from a timeless image.
    I'm assuming we're talking about proof delivery however, not a masterpiece canvas / album print...

Either the photographer is just slacking off on their color correction and deserves to be hounded, ...or they're spending hours and hours to delicately photoshop each and every image, in which case their business model is going to put them out of business after just a few more clients and the more ruckus you make, the fewer other brides will have to suffer this same way.

Cold-hearted, I know, but I speak from experience on both sides...

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2010
    Thank you all for the advice! Sam, as for her not having my address. She had to mail me the contract in the first place so her disorganization must have caused her to lose that as well. Matthew, we are talking about proof delivery. However, not even printed proofs just a disc of them. It's a shame she doesn't have a good work ethic because her pictures really are good.
    Nikon D5000
    Nikon P80
    Nikkor 22-300 VR
    Nikkor 18-55 VR
  • Options
    JMichaelKJMichaelK Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    edited August 9, 2010
    I am frequently right at my deadline of 60 days to deliver images, so I understand how hard it is to edit a wedding. Even though I understand what the photographer may going through, it is not acceptable to be late. I am never late delivering my images, even if that means I stay up all night to get them done. All we have is our word and integrity is essential to run a business. I often will shoot six weddings in a row, which means I'll have six weddings due in a row. I work full time as photographer for a university, shoot several commercial and editorial jobs a month and also am a single dad of a special needs six year old boy. That still is not an excuse for me to be late delivering photos. One of the reasons I stay busy is that people know I'll show up on time and deliver the images when promised. I am ranting a bit because I hear about this all the time. A couple will tell me it took six months or even a year before they get their wedding photos. The photographers already have the money, so they lose interest.
    J. Michael Krouskop
    http://belmontphoto.smugmug.com/
    http:/weddingphotonashville.com
    Nikon D700 (3 bodies), Nikon 14-24 f2.8, Nikon 24 f/1.4, Nikon 24-70 f/2.8, Nikon 50 f/1.4, Nikon 85 f/1.4, Nikon 70-200 f/2.g VRII, SB-900(2), SB-800(5)
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2010
    It's a shame she doesn't have a good work ethic because her pictures really are good.

Wow, some pretty harsh words here for someone who has barely missed a deadline, in the middle of busy summer season, and whom you admit is very talented. Most creative people are by definition not as organized in the traditional sense, I don't see how this is such a shock!

I can understand your situation with your husband being deployed is an extenuating circumstance, however, and is probably fueling your irritation more so than her "work ethic".

Bottom line, in 10 years will you be glad you had a very talented photographer, or someone who didn't deliver a week late?

Sheesh.
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    gecko0gecko0 Registered Users Posts: 383 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2010
    urbanaries wrote: »
    Wow, some pretty harsh words here for someone who has barely missed a deadline, in the middle of busy summer season, and whom you admit is very talented. Most creative people are by definition not as organized in the traditional sense, I don't see how this is such a shock!

I can understand your situation with your husband being deployed is an extenuating circumstance, however, and is probably fueling your irritation more so than her "work ethic".

Bottom line, in 10 years will you be glad you had a very talented photographer, or someone who didn't deliver a week late?

Sheesh.

Barely missing a deadline is a matter of interpretations and the photographer that was paid in advance and contractually obligated to deliver the pictures failed to do so. The photog in question may have a fantastic work ethic, but is not professional for missing a paid contract deadline and has poor scheduling management. In the least, the photog should be sending updates with the status, rather than silence. I see no reason why the OP should grant more politeness and patience than she already has. As said previously, the "busy" time of year is meaningless to the discussion...it is not an excuse or remote valid reason to not deliver something to a paying client.

For a bad analogy, try to pay your mortgage a few weeks late. When the late notices start rolling in, just tell them you were "busy". See how that goes over, considering your contract with the bank.
    Canon 7D and some stuff that sticks on the end of it.
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2010
    Staci,

Any update?

Sam
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2010
    gecko0 wrote: »
    Barely missing a deadline is a matter of interpretations and the photographer that was paid in advance and contractually obligated to deliver the pictures failed to do so. The photog in question may have a fantastic work ethic, but is not professional for missing a paid contract deadline and has poor scheduling management. In the least, the photog should be sending updates with the status, rather than silence. I see no reason why the OP should grant more politeness and patience than she already has. As said previously, the "busy" time of year is meaningless to the discussion...it is not an excuse or remote valid reason to not deliver something to a paying client.

For a bad analogy, try to pay your mortgage a few weeks late. When the late notices start rolling in, just tell them you were "busy". See how that goes over, considering your contract with the bank.

It could be an issue of workflow. If you are a busy wedding photographer you are pretty much booked every weekend of the summer season. Sure that isn't going to aid the OP, but, the said photog could be finishing weddings that occurred before hers. If her workflow is crappy, it is going to take a while...

to the OP, have you at least gotten teasers from the photog?
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    fcorin13fcorin13 Registered Users Posts: 130 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2010
    I think that in this case, the photographer should have at least contacted you to let you know she wasn't done yet! I have not yet been late on processing photos, but as a "not-full-timer" I can understand how it can happen. Still, if you have a contract & she's not living up to it then you have a right to contact her! Especially since it's been so long since the wedding. I could understand not having the photos ready within a month, but 9 weeks is more than enough time! :) Go ahead & contact her in a polite way & see where it takes you.
  • Options
    edited August 12, 2010
    Yes Sam. I was just hesitant about re-posting here because of all the controversy. I talked to her again and she was just finishing putting them online. Now i'm just waiting on a disc of them.

...and for everyone who is against me. Just because I don't prefer to be paid for my work doesn't mean that I don't know about deadlines. I was merely trying to say if you know you can't get work done in that timeline then change your timeline or don't give one. I'm not a difficult customer and I wasn't upset that she was late. I just like to be kept in the loop of things as any client in a business transaction would like to be since I had already paid for my product. What's the point of a contract otherwise?
    Nikon D5000
    Nikon P80
    Nikkor 22-300 VR
    Nikkor 18-55 VR
  • Options
    edited August 12, 2010
    Yes Sam. I was just hesitant about re-posting here because of all the controversy. I talked to her again and she was just finishing putting them online. Now i'm just waiting on a disc of them.

Staci,

Don't be hesitant to post because of controversy!! Controversy exposes all to a different view. Controversy is healthy.

As for anyone against you..............welcome to life. People are for and against, although I don't think it's an against you, but perhaps what your dong.

Sam
  • Options
    Debashis_A_ghoshDebashis_A_ghosh Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited August 26, 2010
    Staci...I think you weere extremely patient. I hope the results are indeed tto your liking.
    Debashis Ghosh

My Flickr

EOS 700D, 100 mm f/2.8 Macro USM,
    EF-S 55-250 F/4-5.6 IS, EF-50 f/1.8,
    EF-S 18-55 mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, EF-S 10-18 mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,910 moderator
    edited August 28, 2010
    urbanaries wrote: »

She is running a business and using contracts. At the end of the contractual obligation (or nearly), she made a second promise which seems to have gone by the wayside.

I'm sorry, but in the "middle of a busy summer season" either hire someone to help out or make sure you communicate with your customers and let them know you are running late. There is no excuse for missing a second delivery date.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    shutterbug616shutterbug616 Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited August 31, 2010
    Staci,

Its the photographer's obiligation to honor a TIMELY contract just as much as it is yours to pay. If you did your part, the photographer OWES you hers. No excuse can excuse poor work ethics and organization. I'd have walked into her place of buisness with a copy of the contract and told her.. "You have exactly one week from me walking in here to give me whats owed to me by this contract. If I don't have what I'm supposed to have one week from this day according to this contract that YOU AND I signed, you will be hearing from my lawyer." Plain and simple.