Options

dinner

QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
edited September 1, 2010 in Weddings
do you ask the bride/groom about dinner or do you just assume none will be provided and bring your own food?
D700, D600
14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
85 and 50 1.4
45 PC and sb910 x2
http://www.danielkimphotography.com

Comments

• Options
    marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2010
    From my 2nd shooting experience with principals, that should be covered in your contract and brought up during the consultation. They wouldn't want you to pass out and miss the shots, right :) But it doesn't hurt to bring a small sandwich or power bars because honestly, they forget! Specially if they don't have a wedding coordinator to arrange vendor tables and such.
  • Options
    l.k.madisonl.k.madison Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2010
    My husband and I have shot one wedding and one "pre-wedding" (covering the shots that her pro didn't want to do, basically). The 'pre-wedding' was more than delighted to feed us, we sat down and ate our hearts out.

The actual wedding was an entirely different story... the rehearsal took WAY longer than it should have, just due to being everybody being unorganized and trying to wrangle a 19 member bridal party and still keeping everybody's attention (and the wedding was still haywire with the order of events...) by the time we made it to the rehearsal dinner, we got one plate of food before they started picking everything up. My six year old was with us (as a member of the wedding party) so by the time we fixed his plates and went back for ours, it was slim pickings. The wedding started at 3 with bridal party due to get there for 11 (did I mention they were unorganized?), we were promised lunch, but it was literally make it yourself ham and cheese sandwiches and soft drinks. By the time the wedding was finished, it was past dinner time (and we were ALL hungry) again, by the time we fixed our plates, food was being picked up - her entire reception couldn't have lasted an hour, just long enough to cut the cake, not even a first dance and it was all over. We had to stop at Sonic on the way home for food, after only being offered a few bottles of water, a few bites of food and a few ham and cheese sandwiches since 11.

Lesson learned: our contract now states that food will either be prepared for us or we will be granted time to eat, even if it's just 5-10 minutes during the reception when we're not needed. I can't function on an empty stomach, sure can't work with one.
  • Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2010
    I just assume I'll get something .... didn't have an issue once, I thing the venues remind the couples to get something for the vendors ... so ... no problems here :)
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2010
    I usually bring lunch, but the contract (that we read together at consultation) reminds the client to include 2 extra people in the count for the caterer for dinner. We also ask that we eat the same time as the bride and groom. I mean, who wants photos of themselves with food hanging out of their mouths? So as soon as the couple goes through the line (and we get photos of that) then we get our plates.
  • Options
    RidgetopRidgetop Registered Users Posts: 214 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2010
    I'm no wedding photographer, but love seeing the nice work posted here. But a good friend of mine is a wedding photographer and I think he carries half of Costco's inventory of powerbars, granola bars, and similar stuff. I asked him about it and he said his experience is half the time he doesn't get a chance to eat or forgets to with regard to the wedding food. So the stash of Costco food comes in handy.
  • Options
    Photog4ChristPhotog4Christ Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2010
    I had it spelled out in my contract and I went over it specifically with the couple at the consultation that if they don't feed me, then I will be leaving the venue to find food. I have never had an issue with being fed at a wedding. Make sure you remind them that it will be a long day and you'll need something to eat.
  • Options
    ScootersbabygirlScootersbabygirl Registered Users Posts: 224 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2010
    I actually don't have it in my contract, but maybe I should! So far all of the weddings I've done this year have known to include food for us, but I'm really liking the idea of putting it into the contract - would definitely make things easier! I do, however, carry lots of snacks and LOTS of water along with me!
  • Options
    Photog4ChristPhotog4Christ Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2010
    I actually don't have it in my contract, but maybe I should! So far all of the weddings I've done this year have known to include food for us, but I'm really liking the idea of putting it into the contract - would definitely make things easier! I do, however, carry lots of snacks and LOTS of water along with me!

It doesn't hurt to remind the couple in a polite way that you'll be with them most of the day and you're going to get hungry. :)

The florist just does the flowers and leaves.

The cake maker drops off the cake and leaves.

The photographer is working 8 hours (or more!) on wedding day!
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2010
    Put it in your contract.

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    mmmattmmmatt Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2010
    Put it in your contract.

=Matt=

From my contract:
    Photographer(s) will be allowed to eat a meal with the guests. Photographer(s) should be served at approximately the same time as the
    head table in an effort to minimize the chance of missing any important moments.

I get some rather odd looks when people see this one until I explain it, but as was said above, people don't want pictures of themselves eating so you need to be eating when they are. When they are done you need to be shooting. Simple and never an issue with the client. I have had venues however that refused to feed me at the same time as the head table so in my "2-weeks prior" check-in with my clients I remind them of this and that is the time they are usually finalizing with the venue and they make note of it. Easy with a buffet and it is sometimes more of a challenge with a sitdown. I eat fast, keep my camera at my side or in my lap, and apologize to people at my table for eating and running... no problem! I do keep peanuts or something similar in my car for some high-protein snacks.

matt
    My Smugmug site

Bodies: Canon 5d mkII, 5d, 40d
    Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
  • Options
    SurfdogSurfdog Registered Users Posts: 297 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2010
    It may be a regional thing, but in my area, it is just assumed that the vendors are included in the meal. Obviously, ours is a quick meal. I sometimes tag-team with the 2nd shooter so that one of us can be taking photos while the other eats. Buffets are common, so this is easy to do. We always pack a few snacks, however, just in case.
    http://www.dvivianphoto.com

Don't worry. I can fix you in photoshop.
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2010
    mmmatt wrote: »
    From my contract:
    Photographer(s) will be allowed to eat a meal with the guests. Photographer(s) should be served at approximately the same time as the
    head table in an effort to minimize the chance of missing any important moments.

I get some rather odd looks when people see this one until I explain it, but as was said above, people don't want pictures of themselves eating so you need to be eating when they are. When they are done you need to be shooting. Simple and never an issue with the client. I have had venues however that refused to feed me at the same time as the head table so in my "2-weeks prior" check-in with my clients I remind them of this and that is the time they are usually finalizing with the venue and they make note of it. Easy with a buffet and it is sometimes more of a challenge with a sitdown. I eat fast, keep my camera at my side or in my lap, and apologize to people at my table for eating and running... no problem! I do keep peanuts or something similar in my car for some high-protein snacks.

matt
    I avoid eating *WITH* the guests whenever possible, because I'm usually eating like a wild animal. Not necessarily because I'm starved, but mostly because time can be so limited.

I do sit with guests regularly, and this allows me to keep an eye on the action, if I can put just a little distance between me and the other guests, I'd choose to do so...

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2010
    I avoid eating *WITH* the guests whenever possible, because I'm usually eating like a wild animal. Not necessarily because I'm starved, but mostly because time can be so limited.

I do sit with guests regularly, and this allows me to keep an eye on the action, if I can put just a little distance between me and the other guests, I'd choose to do so...

=Matt=

Hmmm... I try to sit next to young couples who don't have rings on and can't keep their hands off each other! :D

I like to be with the guests so I can drop the fork and shoot all the speeches and the occasional klink-klink kiss. I'm not firm on that though so I have eaten in side rooms or standing up at the bar or wherever I can find silverware... as long as I can see/hear the action and have a few minutes to eat. Eating at a table with guests though does give me the opportunity to chat them up a bit... A couple weeks ago I was asked by the lady I was sitting near if I ever did sexy pictures, and then if I would like to do some tonight with she, her husband (who was the best man), and the maid of honor. Then they wanted to know if I would be willing to join in... that was a first!

Matt
    My Smugmug site

Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
  • Options
    cab.in.bostoncab.in.boston Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2010
    mmmatt wrote: »
    A couple weeks ago I was asked by the lady I was sitting near if I ever did sexy pictures, and then if I would like to do some tonight with she, her husband (who was the best man), and the maid of honor. Then they wanted to know if I would be willing to join in... that was a first!

Matt

So I just had to ask... how did the pictures turn out? :stud
    Father, husband, dog lover, engineer, Nikon shooter
    My site 365 Project
  • Options
    DWSDWS Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited August 31, 2010
    Although most brides are gracious enough to offer food and drink, I just bring a snack and some water because I like to remain as inconspicuous as possible in order to capitalize on candid shots.
    D800, D3s, D700, D300, D40 and a boatload of glass
  • Options
    edited September 1, 2010
    So I just had to ask... how did the pictures turn out? :stud

I politely declined.

Matt
    My Smugmug site