The SmugMug and Lightroom 3 Publish Services Thread

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited April 25, 2013 in SmugMug Support
Update: Latest version 1.0.2.15

[imgl]http://photos.smugmug.com/photos/991139443_kHmu4-M.jpg[/imgl]

Love Lightroom? So do we. Download the latest version from Adobe and see a familiar face under Publishing Services.

If you don't see it yet, click Lightroom's Help > Check for Updates... option to get it.

Set it up and sync your account in seconds. From there you can import, organize, edit and publish to your SmugMug site... all from one place. Need help? Look here.

And it's never been a better time to be Smug: Open a new trial account through Lightroom 3 and automatically get 20% off your first year. Adobe is also sharing a sweet 15% discount for Smuggers when they purchase Lightroom 3 or any Adobe product.

Questions? Comments? Please post right here in this thread. We're watching. :wave

Comments

• ToxMoxToxMox Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited September 1, 2010
    Cool. :) I guess the obvious question is how does this compare to Jeffrey Friedl's plugin?
  • Andrew MaimanAndrew Maiman Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited September 1, 2010
    ToxMox wrote: »
    Cool. :) I guess the obvious question is how does this compare to Jeffrey Friedl's plugin?

I have the same question. I've been using the wonderful Friedl plug-ins for a long time now, so I'll probably continue to do so.

Does the Smugmug official plug-in allow for association (in the publish collection) with images that were already previously uploaded? The Friedl plug-in does.

It's a good thing that Smugmug was able to partner with Adobe, and I think their plug-in will be great for those who aren't already using something else, but it's ashame that so much work has to be duplicated when there was already a perfectly good plug-in out there.

I assume Smugmug will allow Jeffrey to continue developing his plug-in (and I hope he'll still be willing to do so and continue to have the assistance from Smugmug that he's had in the past).
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2010
    Andrew & Tox - why not just try it? There's no charge of course and you can judge for yourself.
  • PilotBradPilotBrad Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2010
    I tried using it two days ago but received some sort of "system time" error when I tried to authenticate to SM. Perhaps it really wasn't live yet?

I'll try again later.
  • racerracer Registered Users Posts: 333 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2010
    I just installed lightroom for the first time today, opened it up, and the very first thing I noticed was the green smugmug icon! bowdown.gif(then I decided to pop over here to see if it has been posted about) Setting it up to work with smugmug is the easy part, now I just need to figure out how to use lightroom rolleyes1.gif
    Todd - My Photos
  • devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited September 1, 2010
    PilotBrad wrote: »
    I tried using it two days ago but received some sort of "system time" error when I tried to authenticate to SM. Perhaps it really wasn't live yet?

I'll try again later.

Brad,

Can you please double check that your computer's system clock is set correctly, and post a screenshot (or the text) of the error message if you are still getting it.

Thanks,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • kwalshkwalsh Registered Users Posts: 223 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2010
    As I've said elsewhere, very cool!

One feature question though, I suppose future question. I like to keep the IPTC metadata as it should be. Title is a title, caption is a caption and so forth. But on Smugmug there is just a caption, and I like it to include the IPTC title a certain way, the IPTC caption, and then the IPTC copyright. Jeffery's most awesome plug-in supports this. Are there plans for the smugmug publish to allow us to do useful things translating the wealth of real-world metadata into the limited fields available on smugmug?

And thanks for the great work!

Ken
  • davidzvidavidzvi Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited September 1, 2010
    Question:

In the instructions is sounds like you can sync your site to Lightroom. I was able to sync the list of galleries but not images. I don't need the images downloaded but it would be nice to get image counts. Am I missing something in the instructions?
    edited September 1, 2010
    davidzvi wrote: »
    Question:

In the instructions is sounds like you can sync your site to Lightroom. I was able to sync the list of galleries but not images. I don't need the images downloaded but it would be nice to get image counts. Am I missing something in the instructions?

Hey David,

Image syncing didn't make the release (we had a very tight timeframe). I have image syncing working in a very basic form in my current development build. It still needs some work but it will be available at some point.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • LinhLinh Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
    edited September 1, 2010
    Question:

I don't think you can, smugmug wouldn't know what to sync with what in your catalog (or rather, the publishing service wouldn't know). It's more from here on out I believe.

such a shame too, I just uploaded a whole bunch of stuff a couple of weeks ago.. ugh.
    vote on the following smugmug feedback:
    CSS Block To Flow Down To Children Folders/Pages/Galleries
    [URL="http://feedback.smugmug.com/forums/17723-smugmug/suggestions/1104583-a-bulk-
    gallery-download-button-for-my-visitors"]bulk download option for clients[/URL]
  • PixoulPixoul Registered Users Posts: 97 Big grins
    edited September 1, 2010
    devbobo wrote: »
    Image syncing didn't make the release (we had a very tight timeframe). I have image syncing working in a very basic form in my current development build. It still needs some work but it will be available at some point.

Will syncing associate images in Lightroom with images already uploaded to SmugMug or just re-download all SmugMug images back into Lightroom and make a second copy? My http://photos.hamorhollow.com/ site has a few thousand photos I've been maintaining with jf SmugMug.

Also will you have multiple account support?

Thanks muchly!
    edited September 1, 2010
    How about this:

If I were to move the images into lightroom under the correct gallery in the publish area would the plug in recognize them?
    edited September 1, 2010
    Pixoul wrote: »
    Will syncing associate images in Lightroom with images already uploaded to SmugMug or just re-download all SmugMug images back into Lightroom and make a second copy? My http://photos.hamorhollow.com/ site has a few thousand photos I've been maintaining with jf SmugMug.

Also will you have multiple account support?

Thanks muchly!

Image syncing will search the local LR catalog for the images already on SmugMug and automagically hooked them up. We may also provide an option that allows photos on SmugMug and not in the local LR catalog to be downloaded.

Multiple accounts is already supported...
    20100902-tqij7wnc4p17ib8e6dyi5pah44.png

Right-click on the SmugMug banner of an existing Publish Service and select 'Create Another Publish Service via "SmugMug"'

20100902-fq2j83d72iwmhiqeqi8urnqqwj.png

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
    edited September 1, 2010
    Linh wrote: »
    I don't think you can, smugmug wouldn't know what to sync with what in your catalog (or rather, the publishing service wouldn't know). It's more from here on out I believe.

such a shame too, I just uploaded a whole bunch of stuff a couple of weeks ago.. ugh.

no, that's actually not correct.
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2010
    How about this:

If I were to move the images into lightroom under the correct gallery in the publish area would the plug in recognize them?

I have been using Friedl's SM publish for awhile. Publish Smart Collections won't recognize an already published image. Normal Publish collections are supposed to sync but will still only catch 10 to 50% of images already at SM in my experience.

Hopefully this will be rectified in time. I already had 1.5k images in 80+ galleries, too not easy to get things matched, as Published you can, at least have all the correct images in the right Collections, they just might not reflect the proper Published state.

You can 'Publish' select images by holding Alt/Opt down and the button at the bottom of the Left Panel changes to Publish Select from just Publish.

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
    edited September 1, 2010
    Image syncing will search the local LR catalog for the images already on SmugMug and automagically hooked them up. We may also provide an option that allows photos on SmugMug and not in the local LR catalog to be downloaded.

Werd. Rock on. Any ETA on this? I love jf SmugMug but keep running into "wrong format ()" upload errors when updating existing images.

Speaking of which, will your LR3 sync support updating existing images and metadata? That's the feature that sold me on jf SmugMug; being able to batch upload updated descriptions and metadata and also automatically publish new versions of photos (now if only it worked reliably).
    Multiple accounts is already supported...

Ha, I found it seconds before I came back to the thread. Thanks muchly!
    edited September 1, 2010
    Werd. Rock on. Any ETA on this? I love jf SmugMug but keep running into "wrong format ()" upload errors when updating existing images.
    In short no :D
    I have a proof of concept working...that works really well, but it's actually a lot more complex than you might think, I need to do conflict resolution etc if multiple images matching the search criteria are returned.
    Speaking of which, will your LR3 sync support updating existing images and metadata? That's the feature that sold me on jf SmugMug; being able to batch upload updated descriptions and metadata and also automatically publish new versions of photos (now if only it worked reliably).
    As long as LR knows about the image (ie. it appears within the published collection/gallery) any changes to the image or the metadata will result in the image being flagged for republishing. Note: this is standard LR publish service behaviour.
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
    edited September 1, 2010
    In short no :D
    I have a proof of concept working...that works really well, but it's actually a lot more complex than you might think, I need to do conflict resolution etc if multiple images matching the search criteria are returned.

haha That's what I figured. It was worth a shot! I guess another way to ask is are you tied to Adobe's release schedule or can SM update Plug-Ins on their own schedule?
    As long as LR knows about the image (ie. it appears within the published collection/gallery) any changes to the image or the metadata will result in the image being flagged for republishing. Note: this is standard LR publish service behaviour.

Okay, I just uploaded an image fine using the new SmugMug Publish Service and it worked fine. I then updated the image by applying a filter and changed some of the metadata. I then got:
    Some export operations were not performed
    Upload timed out (1)
    filename.dng

But it totally lied; when I reloaded my SmugMug page the image was updated. ne_nau.gif
    edited September 1, 2010
    How about this:

potentially...but it needs a bit of an explanation as to why.

Obviously, timeouts are things you need to deal with on the internet in general and not just with a given web service. But say we had the scenario where you had successfully uploaded an image to SmugMug and the plugin was just waiting for the response...and it received a timeout. The plugin would say ok, it failed...don't mark it as uploaded and the next time you published the gallery...you would end up with a duplicate image as the original upload was successful...but we just never got the response.

So this is a scenario, I actively attempt to avoid...before I upload I iterate the images in the SmugMug gallery and check for a match on the filename and the size of the rendered file....if I find a match, I don't upload the photo and just make an API call that updates image metadata.

So to answer you're question...yes it will potentially work, if you know the quality setting that was originally used to export/upload the photos originally...set the SmugMug plugin to that quality...and try it was a few images.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
    edited September 1, 2010
    But it totally lied; when I reloaded my SmugMug page the image was updated. ne_nau.gif

well, it didn't actually lie...it timed out waiting for the response from SmugMug. Can you please link me to the gallery for that image ?

Thanks,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • misterbmisterb Banned Posts: 601 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2010
    What should I do.. I have both listed, but it asks to be linked with a "lr_plugin" directory and I only see J Freidl's folder in Win7.

Is one better than the other?
    edited September 1, 2010
    well, it didn't actually lie...it timed out waiting for the response from SmugMug. Can you please link me to the gallery for that image ?

Sure; I've re-done the test in a public gallery by applying a filter, cropping, and changing some metadata:

* http://photos.pixoulphotography.com/Other/Support/10220252_JLjhW#991415201_cmdPj

It successfully uploaded the new image, gave me the same timeout error, left the image in Modified Photos to Re-Publish, and didn't update the metadata in the SmugMug gallery.
    edited September 1, 2010
    Sure; I've re-done the test in a public gallery by applying a filter, cropping, and changing some metadata:

* http://photos.pixoulphotography.com/Other/Support/10220252_JLjhW#991415201_cmdPj

It successfully uploaded the new image, gave me the same timeout error, left the image in Modified Photos to Re-Publish, and didn't update the metadata in the SmugMug gallery.

Sean,

How big is the original dng ? Can you zip and email it to david @ smugmug or make available to download somewhere ?

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • misterbmisterb Banned Posts: 601 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2010
    Subscribing
    edited September 1, 2010
    How big is the original dng ? Can you zip and email it to david @ smugmug or make available to download somewhere ?

11.7 MB from an EOS 40D; zipped original emailed. Thanks!
    edited September 1, 2010
    DonRicklin wrote: »
    Hopefully this will be rectified in time. I already had 1.5k images in 80+ galleries, too not easy to get things matched

I shoot weddings and Mitzvahs so I'm looking at maybe 200 galleries all total online and I think I uploaded more than 2k images so far this year.

So matching maybe a tall order.
  • PilotBradPilotBrad Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2010
    Can you please double check that your computer's system clock is set correctly, and post a screenshot (or the text) of the error message if you are still getting it.
    David,

Below is the error I was getting. I was able to workaround this by changing the automatic time settings on my PC from time.windows.com to time.nist.gov.
  • LayneMarie-TiffanyLayneMarie-Tiffany Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited September 2, 2010
    Just tried to upload from LR for the first time. It worked, but it put the big "PROOF" watermark on the photos. I made sure that I did not select the option for the watermark as I use the gallery setting on SmugMug... Is this a glitch or am I missing something else?
    edited September 2, 2010
    Just tried to upload from LR for the first time. It worked, but it put the big "PROOF" watermark on the photos. I made sure that I did not select the option for the watermark as I use the gallery setting on SmugMug... Is this a glitch or am I missing something else?

Got a url for the gallery ?
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
    edited September 2, 2010
    PilotBrad wrote: »
    David,

Below is the error I was getting. I was able to workaround this by changing the automatic time settings on my PC from time.windows.com to time.nist.gov.

Brad,

Is your timezone set correctly ?

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos