Options

St. Anthony

TristanPTristanP Registered Users Posts: 1,107 Major grins
edited August 11, 2005 in Holy Macro
I was out doing a little shooting tonight and came across this fountain in front of a local parish - St. Anthony of Padua in Wilmington, DE. The lighting is mixed and I think it was a bit too dark when I got there, so the Shadows/Highlights really gets messy. Are these worth trying to retake? There are some nice details on the building itself that I'd like to get.

st_anthony.jpg

st_anthony2.jpg
panekfamily.smugmug.com (personal)
tristansphotography.com (motorsports)

Canon 20D | 10-22 | 17-85 IS | 50/1.4 | 70-300 IS | 100/2.8 macro
Sony F717 | Hoya R72

Comments

• Options
    RevLinePhotoRevLinePhoto Registered Users Posts: 354 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2005
    I like #1 the different colors are interesting to me.
    Nice pics.

Ryan
    BMW Tech
    Live life to its fullest you never know whats in your future.
    WWW.REVLINEPHOTO.COM
  • Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2005
    I like your shots as is. I think the background could be lighter but I'm not the one to know how to do that while retaining the quality of the fountain. I would like to see a wider shot though, or maybe the first shot but extend the top. Maybe fit in the cross and the window you can see in the second shot.

just me .02
    Nick
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2005
    I find the 1st shot very interesting!

I like the absolute symmetry except for the raised right hand - draws all your attention to it in a very unique way. Never seen that done before (focusing attention by breaking the symmetry).

the lighting and colors are great and the dark background is an asset - it works to make the statue and fountain stand out.

A really special shot I think!

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
  • Options
    adrian_kadrian_k Registered Users Posts: 557 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2005
    could be improved
    that's a tough challenge you've set yourself. I think it's worth reshooting.

do a search on Luben Solev & his stacking technique.
    TristanP wrote:
    I was out doing a little shooting tonight and came across this fountain in front of a local parish - St. Anthony of Padua in Wilmington, DE. The lighting is mixed and I think it was a bit too dark when I got there, so the Shadows/Highlights really gets messy. Are these worth trying to retake? There are some nice details on the building itself that I'd like to get.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Adrian
    my stuff is here.....
  • Options
    USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2005
    TristanP
    TristanP wrote:

st_anthony.jpg

st_anthony2.jpg
    I like the subject love the colors
    Is it worth the return Yes I would return.
    I never ..well very seldom get shots that I am satisfied on the first visit
    I usually return a few times

To make it better I think you need to back up I like to see more of the whole scene.
    I think #2 is the best of the two you posted.
    Hope you return like to see the results.icon10.gif

Thanks
    Fred