Options

Ack! Need Help!

FstoplifeFstoplife Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
edited September 4, 2010 in Weddings
Okay so a friend of a friend is getting married. I have never shot a wedding, although I did do a first birthday, I know it's not at all similar except they are both events. I want to do the wedding, but I am nervous, it's at a restaurant and she would like to take some pics before hand at the a preserve on and then a few during the ceremony which will be held at the restaurant as well. I am thinking I can handle this. I am also thinking I won't charge her for the wedding, let her know the circumstances and see what she says? How would you handle this? Or should I just send her to another photographer? We all have to start somewhere, and since it's a small wedding at a restaurant I am thinking I can do it. Thoughts? TIA!!
Flickr My, not quite there yet, website

~This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.~

Comments

• Options
    kyeeziekyeezie Registered Users Posts: 290 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2010
    Be warned, you have asked the dreaded question! :uhohMany long threads are born by this question and sometimes some very heated debates. I too started a thread like this a couple years ago. Some people will say, pictures are too important, they need to hire an experienced pro, some people say that the bride and groom know what they are getting into and it is their decision, maybe they can't afford a pro or don't really care. Then someone might say, they might care later. :duel I did do my firs wedding like this, but there are horror stories. One thing I will say is make sure the bride is fully aware of everything and have a contract, no matter how close a friend you are to them, it's not personal. Give them your thoughts and opinions. You can't feel unprepared or not confident going into it. Read the stickys in this section, they are really helpful! Good luck. And if you do it, show pics!
  • Options
    edited September 2, 2010
    I was def doing a contract!! She's a stranger, just a friend of a friend. I am confident I can handle it, it's a small affair and I am pretty good. I know my camera like the back of my hand. I do get nervous, but that is before most shoots I still get the uh-ohs, but I end up kicking butt!! I want to do it, I do, but then on the other hand it's the same thing, what if I screw it up! I am having an internal debate right now, because I want so badly to do it. If I had at least shot second for someone around here that would be a diff story, but I haven't so I am a little nervous.

~This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.~
  • Options
    DWSDWS Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited September 2, 2010
    eek7.gif
    first shoot for a stranger friend of a friend?.....the fact that you say you are nervous and ask "what if I screw it up" tells me that you would be better off passing on this....
    D800, D3s, D700, D300, D40 and a boatload of glass
  • Options
    esc2476esc2476 Registered Users Posts: 354 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2010
    I am no expert, but what equipment do you have?
  • Options
    edited September 2, 2010
    My whole what if I mess up is with every shoot i've done, I think it has a lot to do with I am shy. I can't even take it as a gut feeling that I shouldn't do it. I shot the girl an email, sent her a link to my work and we will go from there.

• Options
    edited September 2, 2010
    I have a D80, a 3000 that I can use as a backup body, I have a SB-600, that I am pretty good with. A 50, 1.8, a 70-200, I think 4 ( i am saving for the 2.8), a 14-24, 3.5 (?), and a 28-70. Plus access to a 35-80, which I doubt I will need with all the others that i have.

• Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2010
    If no consideration (read: money) changes hands, there's no contract.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    edited September 2, 2010
    I was def going to charge, i though maybe I shouldn't but like you said if you don't charge, there is no contract, and I want to keep it business like.

• Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2010
    Just don't let yourself be taken advantage of. I know it sounds cold and money-grubbing, but I always say- If you show up on the wedding day and you can tell that they've only spent 5-10% of their budget on you, then you've been had, and photography is once again devalued.

Charge enough so that you feel like you need to rise to the occasion. Trust me, this WORKS! You'll pull it off and deliver stunning images, and these clients will value those images WAY more than if you had shot the same images but only charged peanuts.

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    edited September 3, 2010
    I spoke to her. It's a 30 person wedding. She just wants photos before the actual wedding, at a preserve around where I live, and pics of the ceremony. There is no traditional reception, so I am going to do it. It sucks that the ceremony is at 245, which means photos have to be taken at 12, maybe earlier, I am going to have to deal with the harsh sunlight, but that I can do! I am excited, it's going to be something small to just get my little pinky toe wet :)

• Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2010
    Fstoplife wrote: »
    I spoke to her. It's a 30 person wedding. She just wants photos before the actual wedding, at a preserve around where I live, and pics of the ceremony. There is no traditional reception, so I am going to do it. It sucks that the ceremony is at 245, which means photos have to be taken at 12, maybe earlier, I am going to have to deal with the harsh sunlight, but that I can do! I am excited, it's going to be something small to just get my little pinky toe wet :)
    Bridal shots at 12 noon should be no problem. Just practice using harsh light to create dramatic light. Other than that, sounds like a wonderfully intimate wedding! Good luck!

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum