Options

Can you help me?

wildernesswindowwildernesswindow Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
edited September 6, 2010 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
I don't know if this is the right forum for this, but it's the closest that I saw. We have had our site up for one month now. We have signed up for google analytics to follow our progress. According to them we are getting people on our site, but our bounce rate is very high. They won't go past our homepage. We've tried changing it a couple of different ways, but nothing is seeming to help. Would anyone here be willing to check out our site and give some advice? We just don't know what else to try. :dunno

Thanks,
Katherine Adolphson
http://www.wildernesswindowphotography.com
Wilderness Window Photography

Comments

• Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,247 moderator
    edited September 6, 2010
    First, I'm traveling right now, so the only computer I have is a Dell mini - with a 10" screen. That means the only thing I see on your homepage is your banner / nav plus your text message. That doesn't give enough to convince me to stay.

I clicked on galleries, and I was presented with your popular photos. Those are chosen by viewers, not by you. They don't help me find photos on your site that interest me. Below that is your galleries, organized by gallery - which means they are not grouped in any way. I recommend that you switch to show your galleries by category. Also - you should either hide the descriptions or increase the amount of vertical space available since your text is cut off.

• Make your site more enticing so people are encouraged to stay.
    • Organize it so your viewer's can find groupings of galleries that interest them.
    • Set your About, Links, and Guestbook galleries to unlisted. They are not needed on the galleries page since they are already accessible from your nav bar.
    • I see that you have a blog, but it's buried on your links page and it does nothing to highlight your photography. Your blog could be used to point viewers to different photos / galleries, to entice viewers to look further.
    • Are you aware that your viewers have no need to buy your photos? They are easily available for free since you haven't protected your originals. Yes, I know, you have right click protection turned on. That's not protection at all. See ORIGINALS = a gateway to free photos, & right click protection is NOT PROTECTION
    --- Denise
  • Options
    wildernesswindowwildernesswindow Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited September 6, 2010
    Thanks
    Thanks for the reply. We will be working on some of these changes today. Sometimes it just takes an outside view to find the problems. By the way love your photographs on your site.

Katherine Adolphson
    Wilderness Window Photography
    http://www.wildernesswindowphotography.com

First, I'm traveling right now, so the only computer I have is a Dell mini - with a 10" screen. That means the only thing I see on your homepage is your banner / nav plus your text message. That doesn't give enough to convince me to stay.

I clicked on galleries, and I was presented with your popular photos. Those are chosen by viewers, not by you. They don't help me find photos on your site that interest me. Below that is your galleries, organized by gallery - which means they are not grouped in any way. I recommend that you switch to show your galleries by category. Also - you should either hide the descriptions or increase the amount of vertical space available since your text is cut off.

• Make your site more enticing so people are encouraged to stay.
    • Organize it so your viewer's can find groupings of galleries that interest them.
    • Set your About, Links, and Guestbook galleries to unlisted. They are not needed on the galleries page since they are already accessible from your nav bar.
    • I see that you have a blog, but it's buried on your links page and it does nothing to highlight your photography. Your blog could be used to point viewers to different photos / galleries, to entice viewers to look further.
    • Are you aware that your viewers have no need to buy your photos? They are easily available for free since you haven't protected your originals. Yes, I know, you have right click protection turned on. That's not protection at all. See ORIGINALS = a gateway to free photos, & right click protection is NOT PROTECTION
    --- Denise