Options

It's been a while :)

tenoverthenosetenoverthenose Registered Users Posts: 815 Major grins
edited September 8, 2010 in Weddings
For a while I got too busy with life to have time for forums. Trying to squeeze in too much summertime fun and work - something had to give! I missed you all and the great interaction here, and I thought it would be good to share a bit too!

43c8d65af9e7232f421b4cf32d4467c1.jpg

38ff27ce221b365a89acb7548db5fbfe.jpg

687a1071add20cb0fecf1b9cfa29e261.jpg

b04bf174f59a99b3bfe947c4c7746376.jpg

df7c6577144591772df8b264882c81f2.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2010
    So uhm.. if I get married, can you shoot it? Half serious here. ( the half thing is cause I am not looking to get married for another 10 years.. haha!)
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited September 2, 2010
    Ted just say the word.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,910 moderator
    edited September 2, 2010
    The expanse of Yosemite's Glacier Point really makes that first one stand out. The balance between Half Dome and the couple is nice too. #4 is nice for the contrast between the bride and the meadow.

Cool stuff!
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited September 2, 2010
    First one's like a postcard. #4 is crazy cool too. Great stuff!
  • Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2010
    *sigh*. Just beautiful! iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2010
    3 and 4....stellar!
  • Options
    kyeeziekyeezie Registered Users Posts: 290 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2010
    Agnieszka wrote: »
    *sigh*. Just beautiful! iloveyou.gif

deal.gifthumb!!!!!!!!!!!! oooh, and a bowdown.gif.
  • Options
    edited September 3, 2010
    Thanks everyone for the love! I was excited to book a shoot up there at sunset. But the problem of food came up, when the couple realized they needed to head back down to eat dinner (they skipped lunch) before all the restaurants closed, so I didn't get to the really crazy ideas I have in my head... Next time :)
  • Options
    mmmattmmmatt Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2010
    Nice work as always Pat. GREAT to see you around again!

Matt
    My Smugmug site

Bodies: Canon 5d mkII, 5d, 40d
    Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2010
    Without hesitation, one of my favorite DGrin wedding photographers. Thanks for posting!

Love that shot in the meadow with the OCF. Gorgeous...

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    mpauliempaulie Registered Users Posts: 303 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2010
    Wowza Patrick, you don't disappoint! Steller work!
  • Options
    edited September 3, 2010
    Thanks Matt, good to be back!
    Love that shot in the meadow with the OCF. Gorgeous...
    I wish we could have stayed there longer, it was beautiful, but the mosquitos nearly ate us alive in two minutes.

Thank Michael!
  • Options
    marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2010
    Love them all, but #2 is my absolute FAVORITE! It looks like an ad for a perfume lol!
  • Options
    Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2010
    All are nice. It would have been my preference in number one for her not to be standing there like a limp noodle...harm hanging loosely at her side...was she mad at him...he's looking interested and she's won't even put her arm around him. Some might disagree... but it looks like...well, kiss me if you have too.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • Options
    WillCADWillCAD Registered Users Posts: 722 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2010
    Fabulous series.

I didn't even notice till I read Ed's comments, but yeah, I have to agree with his assessment of the pose in #1. It's a truly awesome photo in every way - except her pose. It's a shame she wasn't a little more into it, but it's a very minor glitch in an otherwise stunning image.
    What I said when I saw the Grand Canyon for the first time: "The wide ain't wide enough and the zoom don't zoom enough!"
  • Options
    ARKreationsARKreations Registered Users Posts: 265 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2010
    In defense of the #1 pose, she does have her left arm around his back and I've heard more than one bride complain how heavy those big bouquets get by the time formals roll around. IMO, the overall impact of the view and setting really shines.

After having just spent most of my time at PSW in the wedding track listening to people talk about how to take advantage of natural light, I'm seeing this set in "an entirely different light" ( OK - really bad joke... ) than I would have looked at it.

#2 & #3 are my personal favs. I've been working on trying to develop my own flare technique and am really starting to appreciate those who can deliver shots like #2. But the back-lighting, DOF and composition in #3 really captures a moment.
    Ross - ARKreations Photography
    http://www.arkreations.com
    Nikon D700 | D300 | D80 | SB-800(x2) | SB-600(x2)
    Nikkor Lenses: 14-24 f/2.8 | 24-70 f/2.8 | 50 f/1.8 | 85 f/1.4 | 70-200 f/2.8 VR II | 70-300 VR
  • Options
    edited September 5, 2010
    Interesting thoughts on #1. I appreciate that idea and will look for something better next time. Sometimes when I pose people, I more or less put them in a general position and let them work out the details. I think you're correct that the passion in person doesn't translate well in the photo. The fact that his back in dark doesn't help - you can't see her hand.

For the record Ross, #1 has a crap load of light (yes, I metered it) pushed at the couple. Flare can be tough to work with, but the good news is that you can see it right in your viewfinder.
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2010
    A gorgeous set, as always. I just sit and slobber over how lovely they are!!

Btw, speaking of flare.... #2. I have tried and tried to get a decent flare shot (just practicing, of course) and it has always been an EPIC FAIL. How do you (and Angie and Pat Furey and the other flarefotogs) get them so they look artistic and elegant - with flying saucers in just the right places to boot! - instead of merely blown and a mess? Also, how much is the processing creating to the final "look". I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE this kind of shot and really want to come to terms with *how* to achieve the look. Please share? ~pleading look~ :D
  • Options
    ARKreationsARKreations Registered Users Posts: 265 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2010
    One thing I'm finding and also had corroborated by a number of folks at PSW is that the newer Nikon nano-crystal coated glass is much tougher to get to flare. There was a pretty informative segment on D-Town TV a couple months back on shooting to get lens flare. Have a look here
    Ross - ARKreations Photography
    http://www.arkreations.com
    Nikon D700 | D300 | D80 | SB-800(x2) | SB-600(x2)
    Nikkor Lenses: 14-24 f/2.8 | 24-70 f/2.8 | 50 f/1.8 | 85 f/1.4 | 70-200 f/2.8 VR II | 70-300 VR
  • Options
    edited September 5, 2010
    divamum wrote: »
    Btw, speaking of flare.... #2. I have tried and tried to get a decent flare shot (just practicing, of course) and it has always been an EPIC FAIL. How do you (and Angie and Pat Furey and the other flarefotogs) get them so they look artistic and elegant - with flying saucers in just the right places to boot! - instead of merely blown and a mess? Also, how much is the processing creating to the final "look". I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE this kind of shot and really want to come to terms with *how* to achieve the look. Please share? ~pleading look~ :D

It's easier than you think. Just include a really bright light source in the frame - in this case, the sun. If there is no sun, use a flash. Different apertures will affect the flare shape. For the flying saucer look just open up all the way and fire away. Different lenses will create different flare shapes (because of the different elements inside). I have _generally_ found the zooms produce less desirable flare.

Generally PP on this type of shot is just about adding contrast back into the shot. In this case, I did tone it a bit. Below is the shot from camera for reference.

Ross although I am not a Nikon shooter, I would have to assume that is correct. One of the things these newer coatings are promised to provide is flare resistance. Remember, flare is generally considered a bad thing and will probably ruin more photos of the average user than help. Some of the older Canon lenses produced beautiful flare that is reduced in the updated versions (85L -> 85LII).
  • Options
    edited September 5, 2010
    Hmm... I've usually tried with a zoom, simply because I wanted a wider angle and my Tamron 17-50 is the widest thing I've got.... I'll experiment around with it some more with my primes and see if I can do a little better. I'm interested you say you open up - usually shooting at wide aps has given me the washed out mess, and the flying saucers have been green "flashes" rather than recognizable flare marks. Clearly, I need to play around with this some more :D:D:D

In the shot you're referencing I see you've got the full sun at about 2 o'clock rather than straight into the lens - is it generally better to offset a little bit? (it gave you that beautiful rim lighting too!)

Thanks so much for responding - your work is so yummy and I really appreciate you taking the time to enlighten!
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2010
    #1 and #4 are my favorites but they're all wonderful!
  • Options
    edited September 5, 2010
    divamum wrote: »
    Hmm... I've usually tried with a zoom, simply because I wanted a wider angle and my Tamron 17-50 is the widest thing I've got.... I'll experiment around with it some more with my primes and see if I can do a little better. I'm interested you say you open up - usually shooting at wide aps has given me the washed out mess, and the flying saucers have been green "flashes" rather than recognizable flare marks. Clearly, I need to play around with this some more :D:D:D

In the shot you're referencing I see you've got the full sun at about 2 o'clock rather than straight into the lens - is it generally better to offset a little bit? (it gave you that beautiful rim lighting too!)

Thanks so much for responding - your work is so yummy and I really appreciate you taking the time to enlighten!

Opening up the aperture will wash out the image - the glass inside the lens is more exposes and will have more light bouncing around inside. That's why the normal PP is to add more contrast back into the image.

You will have to experiment with placement, the one key is to make sure that the flare doesn't cross the subject (unless you want it to of course). In this case I wanted the flare to move across the bride and partially cover her.

Sadly, this is an area of photography where higher-end lenses produce more desirable results :(

Here's a few more flare shots from the past... (more lurking around my site)

Opened up on a 35L
    923754b406cba889bfe3aecf365cb80c.jpg

Stopped down on a 16-35 - notice the sun, but not too much flare
    045ed0de46f9eaa6a1225b9c32d18c51.jpg

Again stopped down on a 16-36 - notice all the lens elements in the center of the frame
    5da022353ca6e59f26361ec6528430d2.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 5, 2010
    Thanks again, Patrick! thumb.gif
  • Options
    KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2010
    #4 LOVE IT :jawdrop
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!