Options

Maine Lighthouses

Sh4d0wSh4d0w Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
edited September 13, 2010 in Landscapes
I'm looking for some opinions/advice for some of these shots!
I'm open to any opinion, feel free to comment on them. I have more pictures of each, these are the ones I feel are best.

Fort Point Lighthouse

4970355394_4c9fa734e9_z.jpg

Marshall Point Lighthouse

4970335488_49bcd22288_z.jpg

4970326974_b10b24d2e1_z.jpg

Rockland Breakwater Lighthouse

4969646751_fd00d7f857_z.jpg

Owl's Head Light

4969581627_a4f5750503_z.jpg
My Gear At the Moment: Brand New 7D (My Baby), 50mm 1.8 (Plastic Fantastic)

Comments

• Options
    nowandthennowandthen Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited September 8, 2010
    I really like #2.
  • Options
    edited September 8, 2010
    Thanks!
    Anyone else for comments? 81 people have looked, and only one has commented. >.< disappointing for someone looking for feedback.
  • Options
    anvilimageanvilimage Registered Users Posts: 154 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2010
    #2 is great! That meandering path of the boards really draws you in.
    Joe Ercoli
    My Photo Blog - www.anvilimage.com
    My Smugmug Gallery
  • Options
    quarkquark Registered Users Posts: 510 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2010
    I agree, #2 is my favorite.

I think my overall comment is that you seem to have taken most of them mid-day. I like to try for the lighthouses at dusk or with dramatic clouds but I know you are often limited in time. I also find if the lighthouse is still running taking photos at a distance can be very rewarding when you catch the light.
    heather dillon photography - Pacific Northwest Portraits and Places
    facebook
    photoblog

Quarks are one of the two basic constituents of matter in the Standard Model of particle physics.
  • Options
    hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2010
    I think you understand the basic compositional elements but are hampered by time of day and the static nature of the pictures. The two shots of Marshall Point appear to have been made closer to sunrise/sunset but you stuck with shots of just the lighthouse. What about the ocean, rocks, other elements to bring out the location. #2 and 3 are interesting but I felt there was more there. With #3 you got a silhouette but perhaps should have explored bracketing exposures so you can see details of the lighthouse and foreground and possibly blend the exposures to broaden the dynamic range. The last two appear to be mid day and so you must deal with harsher shadows and less interesting light. I don't believe that you can't get a good picture mid day but you will have to try harder. Look for interesting details, dynamic shots that might include wave action, and times when you might have some more interesting skies. If you are using a 50mm lens, it's going to be difficult to get a wide shot to include other elements unless you can back up. So think about what your lens is good at and come up with shots that draw on the lens's capabilities. When I look at the Owl's Head shot I see some very interesting details in the bricks that could be brought out with a curves adjustment and perhaps a tighter crop.

I think you are on the right track. Do some searches in the forum and you will find a wide range of lighthouse shots done around the country including Maine. You will see lenses used and post processing techniques. Look into HDR if you haven't already to help broaden the dynamic range. Look for details in rocks, reflections, ocean, that can help communicate the site.

My 2 cents.
  • Options
    edited September 10, 2010
    hawkeye978 wrote: »
    I think you understand the basic compositional elements but are hampered by time of day and the static nature of the pictures. The two shots of Marshall Point appear to have been made closer to sunrise/sunset but you stuck with shots of just the lighthouse. What about the ocean, rocks, other elements to bring out the location. #2 and 3 are interesting but I felt there was more there. With #3 you got a silhouette but perhaps should have explored bracketing exposures so you can see details of the lighthouse and foreground and possibly blend the exposures to broaden the dynamic range. The last two appear to be mid day and so you must deal with harsher shadows and less interesting light. I don't believe that you can't get a good picture mid day but you will have to try harder. Look for interesting details, dynamic shots that might include wave action, and times when you might have some more interesting skies. If you are using a 50mm lens, it's going to be difficult to get a wide shot to include other elements unless you can back up. So think about what your lens is good at and come up with shots that draw on the lens's capabilities. When I look at the Owl's Head shot I see some very interesting details in the bricks that could be brought out with a curves adjustment and perhaps a tighter crop.

I think you are on the right track. Do some searches in the forum and you will find a wide range of lighthouse shots done around the country including Maine. You will see lenses used and post processing techniques. Look into HDR if you haven't already to help broaden the dynamic range. Look for details in rocks, reflections, ocean, that can help communicate the site.

My 2 cents.

Do you consider this shot as more successful on Marshall Point, where it includes more than just the lighthouse? Or would you be looking for even more?

4970320028_2c086e9b5b_z.jpg

Oh, and by the way, since we are on the topic of lighthouses, I absolutely love the picture of the lighthouse as the banner of your website.
  • Options
    ToonartistToonartist Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    Loving the lines of number 2, great composition and sense of depth.
  • Options
    Sh4d0w wrote: »
    Do you consider this shot as more successful on Marshall Point, where it includes more than just the lighthouse? Or would you be looking for even more?

4970320028_2c086e9b5b_z.jpg

Oh, and by the way, since we are on the topic of lighthouses, I absolutely love the picture of the lighthouse as the banner of your website.

I like the shot. Nice leading line with the ramp and the position of the fishing boat is just right. Maybe try a crop of the grass at the bottom and maybe a little of the sky to bring more focus to your subject.

Ultimately, what I would do is get off the grass and get down on the rocks. The rocks can give you some foreground interest while using the lighthouse for your subject and use the surroundings for best effect.

I'm glad you liked the shot of Nubble Light. I probably shoot that way too much...
  • Options
    edited September 11, 2010
    hawkeye978 wrote: »
    I like the shot. Nice leading line with the ramp and the position of the fishing boat is just right. Maybe try a crop of the grass at the bottom and maybe a little of the sky to bring more focus to your subject.

Ultimately, what I would do is get off the grass and get down on the rocks. The rocks can give you some foreground interest while using the lighthouse for your subject and use the surroundings for best effect.

I'm glad you liked the shot of Nubble Light. I probably shoot that way too much...

How's this?

4978837840_751e18b3cc_z.jpg

And what about this one? =D

4970323810_de58c8dee2_z.jpg

Sorry to be beating a dead horse, but I love the feedback!!
  • Options
    edited September 11, 2010
    I like both of the last shots, especially the second. The composition is interesting and you have some nice foreground features. You may want to try and lighten the rocks a little and see how that looks. But try to still keep them darker because it gives you some nice interest. The time of day is good. The sky could use some clouds but we all have to take what we are given to work with.
  • Options
    StonecelloStonecello Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited September 12, 2010
    Some of them need shadow and highlight work - Rockland seems to be mostly in shadow. If you use PhotoShop,
    you can easily even out those quantities - even better do it via HDR or the HDR-like Topaz Adjust. Cameras only
    average dark & light for the whole picture, whereas an eye can do it for each little area in view. HDR/Topaz help
    make a shot more like that seen by the eye imho. Does the D7 have d-lighting mode? My D700 takes some great
    shots whilst averaging the light & shade using the d-lighting mode. It seems the way all camera technology is headed.
  • Options
    davidryandavidryan Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited September 13, 2010
    I love #2!!!