Options

It arrived

gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
edited June 2, 2004 in Accessories
So easy to use :thumb 20 GIG storage & card reader

takes CF1 & 2..SM..MS..MS Pro..SD..MMC..Micro drive. They said it would take xD but i knew it wouldnt so i will need to get a CF adapter card for it to read xD.

4210082-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    edited May 14, 2004
    Well after fooling with it a bit...it does read xD !! All for a bit over the price of a 512 meg xD card. Holds music as well.
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2004
    Humungus wrote:
    Well after fooling with it a bit...it does read xD !! All for a bit over the price of a 512 meg xD card. Holds music as well.
    Small, looks good "FYYFF"??
  • Options
    cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2004
    gubbs wrote:
    Small, looks good "FYYFF"??
    I'm not sure either... I think it means Fix Your Yellow Flash Filter :lol

It's an Adventure Rider thing.
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited May 14, 2004
    Humungus wrote:
    So easy to use thumb.gif 20 GIG storage & card reader

takes CF1 & 2..SM..MS..MS Pro..SD..MMC..Micro drive. They said it would take xD but i knew it wouldnt so i will need to get a CF adapter card for it to read xD.
    Looks like the perfect thing to bring on the Edelweiss Alpen tour with me this summer... Now to find it stateside.

FY too mate! :D
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited May 14, 2004
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Looks like the perfect thing to bring on the Edelweiss Alpen tour with me this summer... Now to find it stateside.

FY too mate! :D
    I picked it up here for about $300 0z clams ...you wont pay tax so that would be about $200 yank for you. They seem to have a lot of overseas customers. I got it in 48 hours & every question i asked was answered very fast. Top store to do biz with if you cant find it over there.

http://http://www.jaldigital.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=186&osCsid=eb4e8acc9d24b76873a735e417d544c0
  • Options
    edited May 14, 2004
    That didnt seem to work...try this

http://www.jaldigital.com.au

comes with a good quality case...ear phones for riding & a 12 volt charger so i can charge it from the bike. No software needed for Xp either.
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited May 14, 2004
    I found a great writeup on this little bugger. So if anyone else's interest was sparked by seeing Humungus' new toy, here you go:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/xdrive-vp300.html
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited May 14, 2004
    Funny thing is that every report i have read about it states that you need a CF adapter card to use xD in it. The store said that i would read it.

But put the xD in the bottom right slot & she reads perfectly.
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2004
    Fyyff is the name of one of our dearly departed advriders from Scandanavia. Legend has it he had a horrible accident with a beercan, and is now memorialized by tattoos and tshirts all over the world.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    tmshotstmshots Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited May 14, 2004
    Is it durable? I know with the other microdrives they just get bumped and thats all she wrote for that. If it is more durable then I may consider something like that.
  • Options
    edited May 15, 2004
    But it aint a micro drive ne_nau.gif

It has a laptop HD in it & i have seen some tough punishment handed out to laptops & they keep on going in field use.
  • Options
    edited May 15, 2004
    fish wrote:
    Fyyff is the name of one of our dearly departed advriders from Scandanavia. Legend has it he had a horrible accident with a beercan, and is now memorialized by tattoos and tshirts all over the world.
    Truth be known.. his name was Magnus the Cruel, Ruler of the Fjords...a distant relative of mine. He was hopping into a cold can of Perle Pilsner at sea on route to rape, pillage & burn more pommies when his tounge became snared in the cans opening. He emerged from the boats cabin....his arms flailing madly around him. The crew froze at the sight of the most feared Viking in history bellowing like a labrador puppy that had just been belted up by the cat. No one would go to his aid & history tells us that several men even lept from the boat to their deaths rather than face being skewered by the massive horns on his thrashing helmet. Poor Magnus quickly bled to death.

His last words were...
  • Options
    cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2004
    tmshots wrote:
    Is it durable? I know with the other microdrives they just get bumped and thats all she wrote for that. If it is more durable then I may consider something like that.
    Sheesh... read the specs on devices instead of going with unfounded rumour and innuendo.
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • Options
    edited May 15, 2004
    I wasn't going on anything but what is fact about microdrives. I was simply asking about this product. And figured to ask the person who is holding it and can say if the casing seems durable and well made.
  • Options
    edited May 15, 2004
    It looks quite hardy....the only downside i can see to it is that the 'on' button is the wide plastic bar (with the green led's) at the top of the unit & it can be pressed on whilst the unit is in the case. You have to hold the button down for a few seconds to start it so it isnt a major issue.

The big plus is that old issue of having the right power adaptor for diff country power supplys is fixed by having a car ciggy lighter plug if you cant find a power supply...you find a car.

It will take 100 volts throught to 240 volts though. Much like a laptop i assume.
  • Options
    JohnRJohnR Registered Users Posts: 732 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2004
    That doesn't look too bad. I wonder how it will compare to the Nikon Coolwalker
    317305.jpg

This is what I use when I go out away from the computer for days:
    DSC_2731.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 15, 2004
    G'day john, I looked at those as well but this is really for a once use on a trip & cost was the big factor. I wasnt concered with being able to view the pics as the current storage/viewers are not that much bigger in actual viewing area than my camera (which has an excellent quality viewer)

This was equiv to about $200 yank when the nearest viewer was about $450. The small portable burners looked good but i dont want to be burning/adding to a CD every time i fill a card & they were dearer.
  • Options
    JohnRJohnR Registered Users Posts: 732 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2004
    G'Day Humungus, what part of Australia are you in? I have a friend in Sydney.

I should have put what are in my pics:

15GB iPod by Apple and a Belkin Card Reader.
  • Options
    edited May 15, 2004
    Im up in Queensland...600 miles north of Sydney. The Ipod is a great machine but was well over double the price. You buy the Ipod $400 0z & then they wanted another $200 0z for the card reader.

These devices will date faster than Digital Cameras i recon so i wasnt about to invest big $. Seems to be a new one on the market weekly.
  • Options
    SeamaidenSeamaiden Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2004
    Good to know, as my Oly is committed to the diminutive xD card (I really love its size), but my father's new Nikon D70 is a Compact Flash card. Of course, we might not be very good at sharing.. hrm.
    Youth and Enthusiasm
    Are No Match For
    Age and Treachery
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2004
    Congrats, mungus, looks like just the ticket for your trip. Nice job sussing out the marketplace and finding the right device at the right price. Pretty cool that it reads all those formats. And that price is pretty darned good.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2004
    Well I went and did it Humungus, I ordered mine today. Quick question though, does it look easy enough to crack or unscrew to do a hd update? Just thought I'd ask and me being impatient...well...you know how we can be.
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2004
    tmshots wrote:
    Well I went and did it Humungus, I ordered mine today. Quick question though, does it look easy enough to crack or unscrew to do a hd update? Just thought I'd ask and me being impatient...well...you know how we can be.
    Not achance in hell that i would open a HD....DP review or that other big site ?? gives blow by blow descripions on changing the HD...4 screws & pop it it.
  • Options
    edited June 2, 2004
    Mine arrived as well!
    It got here today and changing hd's isnt that hard, there is a screw on the back and the back slides right off, then all you have to do is pull the one you have and pop in another so if you get one, keep your eye out for 80+ gigs and then there is no stopping you.