Options

50mm Lense

sneaky77sneaky77 Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
edited September 11, 2010 in Accessories
Hello,

I have a Canon 50D, I am currently looking into buying a prime lense since I have the kit one only right now. I was thinking about the 50mm lense cause I see it recommended often. This would lead into eventually also maybe getting a 24mm lense.. I also saw a Sigma 18-50mm, the prime 50mm has a better fstop.
Just looking for maybe examples of pictures taken with a 50mm to get an idea, thank you.

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,852 moderator
    edited September 7, 2010
    Lenses are chosen by their use. What use do you plan for the new lens? (Be as specific as possible in your applications or needs.)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2010
    And then the question also is if you are set on a 50, which one? 50/1.8 (plastic), 50/1.4 (3x the price of the 1.8 but worth it), 50/1.2 ($$$$$$) or maybe the new Zeiss 50/1.4????? Lots of options depending on what you are shooting.

I shoot panoramas with my 50/1.4 (canon) and would love to get the Zeiss, over the Canon 1.2 when $ permits.
  • Options
    MileHighAkoMileHighAko Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2010
    I recently picked up a 50mm f/1.8 Nikkor, mainly to be used to take photos of my daughter in gymnastics where flash isn't allowed. So far it's producing fantastic photos. It's manual focus on my D5000, but that's okay since it is very easy to focus. I would have preferred the f1.4, but for $125 it was totally worth it.

1001062332_KreXD-L.jpg
  • Options
    sneaky77sneaky77 Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited September 11, 2010
    Right now I am still on the kit lense, and I was looking into a nice faster lense to play with, learn and take some walkaround photos. I also looked into a 35mm, but that one is out of my budget right now, as well as the 1.4
  • Options
    ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited September 11, 2010
    Try it
    If you haven't used the 50 much before you invest a lot try "the fantastic plastic" 50 1.8 first. After you see if it's the right lens for you then upgrade to the 50 1.4. The 50 1.2 is good if you are a working pro and/or have money to burn.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com