Options

Brides Without Opinions

DmanningDmanning Registered Users Posts: 88 Big grins
edited September 14, 2010 in Weddings
Do you guys get scared when your wedding clients have absolutely no opinions? It worries me because I just can't imagine not having an opinion. I wonder if these people are just holding back and when it comes down to it they will be THAT client that waits till it's too late to tell you they aren't happy.

Comments

• Options
    Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited September 13, 2010
    Dmanning wrote: »
    Do you guys get scared when your wedding clients have absolutely no opinions? It worries me because I just can't imagine not having an opinion. I wonder if these people are just holding back and when it comes down to it they will be THAT client that waits till it's too late to tell you they aren't happy.

Rule #1. I'll always assume I am hired d/t previous work and the fact that my style is befitting with their wishes.

Rule #2. Assume their wishes are the only way to go because if my style clashed, why would we have a deal on the table?

Rule #3. Refer to Rule #1.

NO opinions...
    NO upfront requests...
    NO demands...

...better be in the contract, even if it's an addendum!! Why in the world would someone come back to you unhappy with what you've provided if you were never informed of...what to provide??? Now if quality were in question, that's a different monster altogether. I'm simply saying if a client has decided to hire you, and you have stated that their non-opinionated outlook should not hinder the delivery and acceptance of the final product, then make sure you CYA and all SHOULD be well.
  • Options
    DmanningDmanning Registered Users Posts: 88 Big grins
    ...better be in the contract, even if it's an addendum!! ......

What is your wording like in that clause? I have lot's of CYA in order but I think that is one area of my contract that is lacking.
  • Options
    cdonovancdonovan Registered Users Posts: 724 Major grins
    If they don't have any special requests or ideas, it's no doubt because they trust you to guide them to get beautiful pictures like you have shown them in your portfolio!
  • Options
    Jeremy WinterbergJeremy Winterberg Registered Users Posts: 1,233 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2010
    I had this happen to me at the last wedding I did sound for. (thats right, I'm the head of the sound tech department at my church.. I wasn't the photographer)

The bride didn't care about the music other than she wanted Cannon in D when she walked. I quote, "Go ahead and pick whatever you think sounds good" This was at the rehearsal the night before the wedding.. I responded back with, "How about you pick the music so you don't hate me tomorrow". lol Sometimes you have to demand an opinion.

In your case as the photographer, I would say if they absolutely have no opinion.. they REALLY trust you. Which is a good thing.
    Jer
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2010
    In your case as the photographer, I would say if they absolutely have no opinion.. they REALLY trust you. Which is a good thing.
    Usually when I client REALLY trusts you, that's what they say. "We just love your work, we want you to do exactly what you always do!"

...If on the other hand they simply say "oh, I don't know what I want", ...THAT can be a very bad sign, or at least a dead-end. It can mean that the client doesn't appreciate your artwork, they're just hiring you because they're going through the traditions of a wedding. They know they're supposed to hire a photographer, so they are. This will either lead to them realizing later that you weren't the right photographer for them, OR almost equally as bad, they just won't value the results and won't become avid referral sources. Your disc will go on a shelf and sit there for 2-5 years. And you can only shoot so many of these types of weddings per year, before you simply go out of business due to lack of referrals. I speak from a similar "near-death" experience with my own business.

Of course it doesn't HAVE to be a bad sign. Maybe they'll end up loving your work.

But my point is, yes it is a little scary / disappointing, when the client doesn't care. (And doesn't also mention that they love your work and just want you to do your thing...)

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum