Sigma 50-150 f2.8 hsm dc apo or Sigma 70-200 f2.8 hsm

FLYING EYEBALLFLYING EYEBALL Registered Users Posts: 183 Major grins
edited September 15, 2010 in Accessories
Hey all,

I'm looking for something with a bit of reach on a D80 that is fast enough to shoot some skateboarding or other types of sports. It would also be used for detail shots on cars and motorbikes if that makes a difference.

I had a nikon 80-200 2.8 af-d and really liked it. I used it on a D300 I had at the time but I felt the 80mm was a little long at times and I don't have the extra $$ far another one anyways.

My worry is the 150(225) won't be long enough when I need it.

Is the 50-150 still sharp @150? From what I've read the 70-200 drops off @200mm.

Any first hand experience?

They are priced about the same in the used market fwiw.

Thanx for looking

Comments

• Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited September 15, 2010
    Hey all,

I'm looking for something with a bit of reach on a D80 that is fast enough to shoot some skateboarding or other types of sports. It would also be used for detail shots on cars and motorbikes if that makes a difference.

I had a nikon 80-200 2.8 af-d and really liked it. I used it on a D300 I had at the time but I felt the 80mm was a little long at times and I don't have the extra $$ far another one anyways.

My worry is the 150(225) won't be long enough when I need it.

Is the 50-150 still sharp @150? From what I've read the 70-200 drops off @200mm.

Any first hand experience?

They are priced about the same in the used market fwiw.

Thanx for looking
    I've used the 50-150 since 2007 or 2006; yes I have the mk1 version.

Yes, it is a tiny bit soft at 150mm wide open, but it's SHARP as heck by f/5.6.

There really was no comparison for me though, because I couldn't live with the range (limited by 70mm) and I couldn't live with the size / weight. I'm just totally in love with my 50-150.

At greater distances, the 50-150 is tack sharp at all focal lengths, and the difference in sharpness between 50 and 150 is only slightly noticeable.

The lens is built pretty sturdy and I've bumped and knocked it many times over the past few years. Works like a charm. If you view my website, I'd say at least 50-75% of the images are made on the 50-150 2.8...

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited September 15, 2010
    I have never used the 50-150 siggy...but have owned several of the 70-200 (210 when I got my first one).
    I have never found the weight to be a prob. and mine have always been tack sharp at any focal lenght......
    guess I just get lucky but that is what has made me a Sigma shooter, lens wise.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website