Options

Impact stirs emotion and feelings

AnsonAnson Registered Users Posts: 207 Major grins
edited August 12, 2005 in Technique
listened to a Charlie Rose interview on PBS with guest
Brian Gazer-movie producer and partner with Ron Howard - director.

to paraphrase Gazer..'movies are all about creating IMPACT, which in-turn stirs emotion and feelings'

...as DGRIN photographers, before taking your photograph...do you always consider how best to create maximum impact which each shot?

what goes through your mind before taking that shot?

...do you have a mental checklist (is that checklist different depending on the type of photography,such as portrait, landscape, action, closeup..)
or
...perhaps you let the subject dictate your technique
or
...perhaps you are never quite sure and therefore take multiple angles/settings on the same subject and hope for the best
or
...a little of all of the above
or
...what!

how do you create impact with your photography?

what photographer do you most admire, for creating consistent impact with their photography?

regards,

Comments

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2005
    Fish has a tag line that in essence says you can't be too calculating about photography. Ironic, given the large role math plays in the exercise.

But his point is well taken. Technical as it may be, a good photograph starts in your heart as informed by your eye, I believe. If something impacts you, then your goal is to capture that impact with your camera. Some folks are much better than others at seeing things the way a camera does: having that skill makes life a lot easier. naughty.gif And some folks are skilled at seeing something with their mind's eye, then creating it. Those are the true artists.

My point is that IMHO, the first impact has to be on you, as the photographer. Then you try to convey what you feel and see using your technical skills as a shooter.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    HiggmeisterHiggmeister Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2005
    Anson wrote:
    listened to a Charlie Rose interview on PBS with guest
    Brian Gazer-movie producer and partner with Ron Howard - director.

to paraphrase Gazer..'movies are all about creating IMPACT, which in-turn stirs emotion and feelings'

...as DGRIN photographers, before taking your photograph...do you always consider how best to create maximum impact which each shot?

what goes through your mind before taking that shot?

...do you have a mental checklist (is that checklist different depending on the type of photography,such as portrait, landscape, action, closeup..)
    or
    ...perhaps you let the subject dictate your technique
    or
    ...perhaps you are never quite sure and therefore take multiple angles/settings on the same subject and hope for the best
    or
    ...a little of all of the above
    or
    ...what!

how do you create impact with your photography?

what photographer do you most admire, for creating consistent impact with their photography?

regards,
    Tough question. Never really thought about it till now, so I'll shoot off the cuff here. I mostly fall into two categories which are quite different.

There are those photos that happen. I have a camera and my eye catches something. If there is time (I usually miss the shots that require spontaneous action) I look it over, check background and examine composition. Then I put the camera to my eye and see what speed and DOF I want to capture. Focus, compose and shoot, then check the exposure on the camera, adjust if needed and then shoot for effect. That last part is all timing and seeing with the camera eye. Here's the catch. I can walk/drive around all day and not take a single picture if I'm not inspired. Taking those first shots for a shoot are the hardest. I usually slip into the photo mode once those shots are taken, but I have to take them first.

For shots like the challenges, I wait for inspiration. Once I see a shot in my head, I try and set it up or go to the location trying to match my vision. Usually, it's an evolving exercise. IE. Pixy Delights. I first wanted a macro shot of Pixy dust on the tongue. Not a pretty sight. So I did some test shots of backlighing the pixy dust while it's pouring onto a plate. Several shots later, I came up with my lighting (need more experience there to visualize). This is when the final shot came to mind and I created the set to shoot it.

I don't intentionally shoot for impact. I shoot for what moves me. I shoot for myself and share with you all. Maybe that's where the transition between amature and professional lies. A professional needs to be able to shoot for others and has to know how to capture what the client likesne_nau.gif. I don't know; maybe I'm just talking out of that orifice that shouldn't be heard from.

Just ramblings on a Friday. Good question thoughthumb.gif.

Chris

A picture is but words to the eyes.
    Comments are always welcome.

www.pbase.com/Higgmeister