Options

How to deal with bright light behind your subject?

MileHighAkoMileHighAko Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
edited September 16, 2010 in Technique
Rookie question here: what is the best way to deal with bright light behind your subject? Yesterday I was shooting my daughter's gymnastics (D5000 50mm f/1.8), and on one of the apparatus there was a window directly behind with bright light coming in.

What is the best way to deal with that situation so that the bright light behind my subject doesn't take over the photo?

Comments

• Options
    yendikenoyendikeno Registered Users Posts: 214 Major grins
    edited September 12, 2010
    I'm no expert,
    but here are a couple of ways I can think of to deal with a situation like this. You could use spot metering to insure the subject is exposed correctly no matter what the back ground. In an extreme case where the difference between the background and subject is way too much, you could use some fill flash to help reduce the exposure extremes. Hope that helps.
    Regards,
    AZFred
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    yendikeno wrote: »
    but here are a couple of ways I can think of to deal with a situation like this. You could use spot metering to insure the subject is exposed correctly no matter what the back ground. In an extreme case where the difference between the background and subject is way too much, you could use some fill flash to help reduce the exposure extremes. Hope that helps.

15524779-Ti.gifagree thumb.gif
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    Thanks - Spot Metering is something I didn't think to try. Great advise, next time I'll give it a shot - I think I was set to center metering.
  • Options
    DulaMugDulaMug Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    Rookie question here: what is the best way to deal with bright light behind your subject? Yesterday I was shooting my daughter's gymnastics (D5000 50mm f/1.8), and on one of the apparatus there was a window directly behind with bright light coming in.

What is the best way to deal with that situation so that the bright light behind my subject doesn't take over the photo?
    I had the same problem for years. I also had a problem with subjects wearing white until I learned to shoot manual and now I stay away from using any auto settings. If you do this your photos will improve in all lighting situations. If you are already shooting manual, sorry I don't have anything other ideas.
  • Options
    racerracer Registered Users Posts: 333 Major grins
    edited September 16, 2010
    Thanks - Spot Metering is something I didn't think to try. Great advise, next time I'll give it a shot - I think I was set to center metering.

Just remember to lock exposure onto what your spot metering, or else the meter/exposure will change as you move the camera around
    Todd - My Photos
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    In a situation as described, there is probably an awful lot of light coming in from that window and adding to the general light level of the room. Manual exposure settings are probably going to be the best bet (just set and forget for each apparatus) but as the time passes and the sun moves, the amount of light coming through that window will change. Every now and then, check your setting. Also check your settings if you change your viewpoint. Otherwise "set-and-forget."
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    The other thing, too, is to frame as tightly as possible. If you spot meter for face/skin, and then crop out as much of the window as possible, you should get a decent exposure on your main subject. If you expose for the subject and the window is left in, it WILL be bright and will draw the eye, even if you have perfect exposure on the subject. Of course, if you blow it out entirely, that might give you a cool white/high key-ish looking neutral background - it could be worth experimenting with that for a few shots to see if it's possible to work it to your advantage!
  • Options
    r3t1awr3ydr3t1awr3yd Registered Users Posts: 1,000 Major grins

Hi! I'm Wally: website | blog | facebook | IG | scotchNsniff
    Nikon addict. D610, Tok 11-16, Sig 24-35, Nik 24-70/70-200vr
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    One of the things about shooting indoors is that while they can be moderately/awfully dark the light level remains the same and doesn't change over time. So shoot manual and ignore the light (just watch the flare/PF/CA).

That is, unless you wanna use it to your advantage, as in here: mwink.gif

223086400_jRYoy-L.jpg
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    Thanks for all the help guys. I'm going to practice a bit more so when I get in that situation again I'll be successful.