Options

help with password protected galleries.

ppugappuga Registered Users Posts: 100 Major grins
edited August 12, 2005 in SmugMug Support
Hello all!

I have a problem, I have in my page a few protected gallieries (Friends and Family) but my friends and family have toldme this days they couldnt get in.

The password I used is the same from a few months now, I didn't change it, just one day my friends couldnt get in, from different locations ussing Internet Explorer on a PC. (I'm a mac user, and in Safari I don't have this problem.

I try to change the password but for them is still the same, they put the password, and nothing happens, it re opens again the same password window.

How can I fix this? or what can I do, not to have this galleries open to all.

any recommendation?

Comments

• Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2005
    Cookies blocked?
    ppuga wrote:
    I have a problem, I have in my page a few protected gallieries (Friends and Family) but my friends and family have toldme this days they couldnt get in.
    Could they have possibly installed anyting in their browser to block cookies?

--John
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2005
    jfriend wrote:
    Could they have possibly installed anyting in their browser to block cookies?

--John

That could be, but let me ask.
    What this Internet Explorer users told me is that in the page were you put the password, when you hit enter, the pages only reoloads asking for the password again.

Its weird. I asked several people with PC and I Explorer and nobody could sign in to the protected galleries, just the ones using Mac or other browsers.

To solve this at the moment I created a SHARE GROUP of this galleries, since the password is asked in another window it workes fine.

But not directly from my page and the galleries. ne_nau.gif

I told them to erase the cookies and try again, to erase the cache to start clean from the begining like if it was the first time accesing my page. But it doesn't work either way.

headscratch.gif
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2005
    Could be cookies, not sure
    ppuga wrote:
    That could be, but let me ask.
    What this Internet Explorer users told me is that in the page were you put the password, when you hit enter, the pages only reoloads asking for the password again.

Its weird. I asked several people with PC and I Explorer and nobody could sign in to the protected galleries, just the ones using Mac or other browsers.

To solve this at the moment I created a SHARE GROUP of this galleries, since the password is asked in another window it workes fine.

But not directly from my page and the galleries. ne_nau.gif

I told them to erase the cookies and try again, to erase the cache to start clean from the begining like if it was the first time accesing my page. But it doesn't work either way.

headscratch.gif
    Perhaps someone from smugmug will chime in to help. I, myself, block cookies from most sites in Firefox and the behavior you describe is exactly what I see when a cookie is needed, but it's being blocked. The service puts up the login dialog. You enter your password. The server coins a cookie and sends it to your browser to indicate that this browser is now authenticated. The user then goes to the next page after the login. The service is expecting the login cookie to be presented, but it's not there. Since it doesn't find the cookie (if it got blocked or lost for some reason), it sends the user back to the login page thinking that they need to provide credentials because they don't have the cookie they should. It's a bit strange that it works some other times and it's a bit strange that it happened to multiple people at the same time, so maybe it's something else, but I don't have any other ideas.

If you are really stuck, you can email help@smugmug.com about the problem and get a more direct engagement from them.

--John
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited August 10, 2005
    jfriend wrote:
    Perhaps someone from smugmug will chime in to help. I, myself, block cookies from most sites in Firefox and the behavior you describe is exactly what I see when a cookie is needed, but it's being blocked. The service puts up the login dialog. You enter your password. The server coins a cookie and sends it to your browser to indicate that this browser is now authenticated. The user then goes to the next page after the login. The service is expecting the login cookie to be presented, but it's not there. Since it doesn't find the cookie (if it got blocked or lost for some reason), it sends the user back to the login page thinking that they need to provide credentials because they don't have the cookie they should. It's a bit strange that it works some other times and it's a bit strange that it happened to multiple people at the same time, so maybe it's something else, but I don't have any other ideas.

If you are really stuck, you can email help@smugmug.com about the problem and get a more direct engagement from them.

--John

Thank you John!
    I will wait to see if other people can get in, if not I will mail help@smugmug.com to get an answer. At first sight I think it was cookies because two of my friends try to acces from their offices and some times are blocked, but then I call another one at home and asked to try to access, and was the same thing. Weird.

ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited August 12, 2005
    Hey guys!

I found that the problem its only when I access from: www.pablopuga.com.mx un PCs computeres.

If I access from: ppuga.smugmug.com this doesn't happen and my friends can get in without trouble.

But how can I fix this????

Any help?