Options

Different Protection Settings for the Same Picture

Ceazar77Ceazar77 Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
edited September 16, 2010 in SmugMug Support
I would like to know if there is a way to have different right-click protection settings for the same picture in different folders without making duplicates of the file.

How it should work:
-I create a folder with the original pictures from a shoot
-I collect photo's into several folders based on criteria I choose (some pictures are in multiple folders)
-I set the protection settings in the folders. Some folders people are allowed to right click pictures, some are not

Currently it looks like the pictures inherit the settings of the folder that the original is posted in. This makes it so that I would have to make copies of each picture if I wanted the protection settings to be different for individual folders. I suppose ideally I would like all security and privacy settings to be inherited from the folder that the pictures are in, even if they are virtual copies.

Am I missing something?
My Equipment:
Bodies
: Canon 5D mk II, Canon 5D

Lenses: 16-35mm f/2.8LII, 24-70mm f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 85mm f/1.2L, 180mm f/3.5L Macro
Lighting: Quantum Q-flash, Canon 580EX, Canon Macro Twin Lite MT-24EX, 40&60" Umbrella
Stability: Gitzo and RRS

Comments

• Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,236 moderator
    edited June 8, 2010
    Before you rely on right click protection, you should be aware that it is really not protection; it's just a small stumbling block. See ORIGINALS = a gateway to free photos, & right click protection is NOT PROTECTION.

--- Denise
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2010
    There is not a way to do this. Collected photos always obey the settings from their original gallery.
  • Options
    forestlitterforestlitter Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited September 15, 2010
    Anyone care to share your work-arounds for this issue?

What I want to do is upload once, copy to galleries as wanted with the galleries controlling privacy settings, url, etc.

Am I correct that with the current limitations, I can only accomplish this by uploading the same image to different galleries?
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    Anyone care to share your work-arounds for this issue?

What I want to do is upload once, copy to galleries as wanted with the galleries controlling privacy settings, url, etc.

Am I correct that with the current limitations, I can only accomplish this by uploading the same image to different galleries?
    Yes and no. You collect photos from a gallery and give the gallery different access settings. For example, one gallery can be password protected, while the other is not or one is unlisted while the other is public.

But, other settings like right-click-protection and largest available size are all the same and take on the setting of the original gallery that they were uploaded to. If you want to vary those settings from one gallery to the next, you will need to upload separate copies of the image.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    Hougland ImageryHougland Imagery Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    This would be a wonderful, and work-flow streamlining feature.

After I'm done talking with my clients, after they've proofed the shots,

I would LOVE to have the option to collect photos from my clients password protected proof boxes, for my public galleries.

And have the collected photos inherit the target galleries settings.

OR... Have a "Copy to Gallery" option, next to the "Move to Gallery" option in the Gallery / Tools

It would work just like the Move to gallery feature, except that it would just make copies, instead of moving the photo.

*Fingers Crossed*
  • Options
    pilotdavepilotdave Registered Users Posts: 785 Major grins
    edited September 16, 2010
    I agree these would be a huge improvement, but smugmug doesn't seem interested. I've pointed out many times how horrible smugmug is for providing full res images to anyone when it could be so easy. Someone sent me links to 30 images he needed for a poster. The collect feature would have been perfect if it didn't have to inherit all settings. The make duplicate and move to another gallery method is impossible to use. I can't imagine a copy to gallery function could take more than a day to implement but so far nothing. I swear that if smugmug had every staff member go through this exercise, we'd have a solution in no time.

Dave
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 16, 2010
    pilotdave wrote: »
    I agree these would be a huge improvement, but smugmug doesn't seem interested.
    We're very interested. But collected photos won't work this way, sorry. They must obey the settings in their native gallery.
    I've pointed out many times how horrible smugmug is for providing full res images to anyone when it could be so easy.

Stay tuned.

You'll want to subscribe to our Release Notes blog, so that you don't miss a single update from SmugMug :)http://blogs.smugmug.com/release-notes/ at the bottom, there's a link for Entries (RSS) - put that in your favorite feed reader.