Options

Bi-Weekly Discussion Thread: Relationship with your clients ("new" social media)

AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
edited September 17, 2010 in Weddings
This one is inspired by Ted / Moogle Pepper :wink

How much do you let your clients peek into your own life?

With all the "new" social media out there it's easy to let you rclients into your life a bit. Not only your business life but also on the personal level. Where do you draw the line?

- do you post any private photos on your blog or do limit it to "just" the business?
- do you friend them on facebook or do you just maintain a "like" / fan page? Or do you use twitter?
- do you guys "hang out" before their big day, or is the interview + the engagement session the only time you see them?

I actually saw a really interesting interview not too long ago. I don't know if anybody on here has a subscription to Photo Vision. They send you a DVD every month and feature different photographers who show you their behind the scenes and give you some tips. I always enjoy the interviews as it's nice to see how other people do it. Last time they interviewed a couple that have a wedding photography business and they were saying how important facebook & twitter is for them and how they implement it into their marketing. I though they do a really good job maintaining a healthy relationship with their clients (though *I* don't friend my couples as I want to keep some parts of my life to myself - and bride or momzilla on my facebook would be the last thing on my wish list, haha).

We have a quite a tough job, considering that we take photos of their most important day of their life (uhm, ... haha ... good reminder for everybody!) ... those are the photos they will hopefully cherish for their lifetime, BUT since most of them aren't models and have most likely not been in front of a professional camera for years (at least since they got their senior photos taken - in the USA anyway), they usually don't know how to pose, and feel usually pretty uncomfortable in front of the camera for the first couple minutes. So it's really important that we make them feel comfortable (however we choose to do that) and get to know them on a personal level so they at least don't feel too awkward - the posing is a different story.

What do YOU do to make them feel comfortable? Do you use the social media to get to know them (and give them a chance to get to know you?)

Comments

• Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2010
    Well since I started this train, I guess I should chime in. mwink.gif

- do you post any private photos on your blog or do limit it to "just" the business?

I post everything. I post weddings, wedding and business related entries on my blog, but I also post personal work, travel blog entries.. I tend to travel [a lot] and blog those entries, and personal thoughts (which may or may not relate to weddings or photography in general) on my blog. I am more fascinated with the life around me, that, I make my blog more about my fascinations of life above weddings. Basically my blog is about the adventures and, misadventures, (like .. getting in trouble in Thailand when they just did their coup de'tat in 2006... I will never live that one down...) that I get into. Weddings and all that is included in that ideal of seeking out adventures.

- do you friend them on facebook or do you just maintain a "like" / fan page? Or do you use twitter?

Facebook friend them. I like seeing what they are up to and I don't mind if they check out what I am up to or currently doing. I am a pretty open person, though private things stay private. Actually I never put anything serious or private on the status updates. Most of my status updates are generally goofy banter [I might be one of those FB'ers]. Sorry to all my fb peeps here.. haha! But the couples already know how goofy I can be, since I tell them up front, and, are comfortable because they are in good company.

I don't FB friends all of the people I have worked with or for, it's just the ones of whom I know that are amicable, laid back, and care free with a unhealthy dose of adventure seeking.

- do you guys "hang out" before their big day, or is the interview + the engagement session the only time you see them?

If they are in the area... DRINKKKKSSS!!!! I like having fun with people, plus, it is also a quick observation of their interaction when going out. Even after the weddings, we remain in touch. And if time permits it is music hunting or hanging out.

So, basically, I let them see majority of me and my personal life. Whether it being on FB or on my blog, emotional distress and tragedy aside, I am pretty open. :D
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    tenoverthenosetenoverthenose Registered Users Posts: 815 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2010

My blog is primarily business orientated. I maintain my blog much like I would maintain a physical storefront. It allows my clients to better understand who I am and what I do as well as the style I use. Everything that goes on my blog must somehow fit in with my plan to market what I do. All that having been said, the average family snapshots will probably never make it on my blog. Besides the fact that I do keep some things private, a lot of the things I take pictures of do not help me land the kind of paying jobs I want.

Yes I friend them and network with them. It really helps me to understand who they are and what they are all about. This is an AMAZING resource - your clients are sharing their personal likes and dislikes with the world - pay attention!

It is also a two way street and it helps to break the ice with people. Being able to share that personal side and what makes you you is great. I use facebook for this directly, instead of my blog.

Normally no. I rarely meet any of my clients before hand - most of my weddings are destination weddings for my clients. If I have the chance to meet them, I will happily take it and enjoy a drink with them.
  • Options
    cdonovancdonovan Registered Users Posts: 724 Major grins
    edited September 15, 2010
    Depends, I've shared pictures on facebook ranging from my own personal stuff to my clients (with permission, of course) However, anything that I post is carefully selected to keep "the triangle" happy
    The triangle I refer to is something that I consider with each move I make,
    does it represent me, my client and my business to the best of my ability... If I can answer no to any of those, it stays in my hidden files, or goes to the trash can!
    I friend lots of people, a lot of my clients, so again I have to be careful with what I write, but I think it makes me more responsible, and reminds me that now matter what I write on the internet, the possibility is there for anyone to see it, I find that friending them gives them a better insight to what kind of person I am... i think that's a good thing! Of course there are times when I'd love to complain about one thing or another, but often typing it, and then backspacing it is enough of a vent for me!!! :D
    typically we don't hang out, unless I know them! I'm doing my cousins wedding in a couple of weekends, and I've been helping with details, did the stagette etc. But, that is not typical... however, often after the wedding and everything is said and done, we remain friends! A lot is shared in the run of a wedding, intimate moments, and if your clients feel comfortable with you.. their moments and pictures are going to remain true, and that is definitely appreciated!
  • Options
    KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins

My blog is primarily business orientated. I maintain my blog much like I would maintain a physical storefront. It allows my clients to better understand who I am and what I do as well as the style I use. Everything that goes on my blog must somehow fit in with my plan to market what I do. All that having been said, the average family snapshots will probably never make it on my blog. Besides the fact that I do keep some things private, a lot of the things I take pictures of do not help me land the kind of paying jobs I want.

This is business mojo to a T. It is something I *know* I should be doing...

I post about 70% business and 30% personal. There is some overlap because I'm also the photographer for my full-time employer, so shots for Prioria frequently end up on the blog too. The personal shots are generally relating to travel or something, and I do from time to time (i.e., like two or three times ever) post an opinion entry about a non-work/photo issue I think is important (usually about knowing where your food comes from!).

I'm a FB hater. I refuse to sign up... don't even try to argue with me about it, it's like arguing about religion or politics. You can talk all you want but you'll almost never change anyone's mind :D
    I do use twitter and that tends to be more personal, but I am aware that it is a reflection of who I am and that folks from Prioria's industry (aerospace/defense/electronics/technology), the local business community and potential photography clients are all able to see everything I post, so it is all very clean and appropriate. I do make sure that I tweet blog posts.

I try to hang out with at least the bride if not both the B&G once or twice prior to the wedding. Usually the initial interview is over dinner or coffee or something, and then we do a follow-up 'meeting' (again, dinner, coffee, drinks, whatever) a couple weeks before the event to make sure that all the Ts are crossed and Is dotted. I also try to encourage an engagement session so that by the time the wedding rolls around they are totally comfortable with me and my camera.

I have found that the fun and chill brides are usually happy to have a friendship after the wedding and this is one of the best things I can ask for as a result, personally and from a business perspective. It's just great.

It is interesting being on the 'inside' on the most important day of someone else's life. I feel like the parents want to take care of me and make sure I'm fed and happy and the couple comes to me to ask how I think the wedding is going and does everything look alright, etc., etc.... it's like I've been given a magic ticket to the inner circle or something.
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    I facebook, and don't mind friending clients... I post a couple from each session on facebook (and gag at the quality) as a sneak peek and tell them to set it as their profile pic.... And I get tons and tons of work from it. I do watch what I say on FB, but enjoy other Togs ventings a great deal.

I find that the more you invest into friendship with a client, the better the wedding day and photos go... because they trust you. So I always try to comment on client's status updates and meet with them at least 2 xs before the wedding.
    I do post private stuff all the time... I figure that the more they know me, the more they can relax and feel confident that their day will go smoothly. I post private stuff on my blog only if it is not your average family snap.

I can't believe how much work I do through FB inbox... it is amazing. I booked 3 sessions THIS WEEK through the inbox as a result of my FB sneek peeks.

On another note: Blogging... I just started mine half way through summer. How in the world do you guys come up with all the awesome stuff to say about each post? I find myself saying... "gorgeous bride" like every other sentance, and that sounds stupid. Seriously, I think a writing class might be in order. Patrick Pike is an awesome example of a well written blogger.... I love that. So jealous of more than his photography skills.
  • Options
    cab.in.bostoncab.in.boston Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    Kinkajou wrote: »
    I'm a FB hater. I refuse to sign up... don't even try to argue with me about it, it's like arguing about religion or politics. You can talk all you want but you'll almost never change anyone's mind :D
    I do use twitter and that tends to be more personal, but I am aware that it is a reflection of who I am and that folks from Prioria's industry (aerospace/defense/electronics/technology), the local business community and potential photography clients are all able to see everything I post, so it is all very clean and appropriate. I do make sure that I tweet blog posts.

OT - since I'm not a wedding photog I really can't answer, but I'm curious about this. I won't argue, and maybe it's better just not to ask, but I'm very curious why you are a "FB hater," especially b/c you use twitter. Why do you find FB so objectionable but twitter is okay? I figure a self-professed hater probably has her reasons, so I wanted to ask.

To date about the only FB hater I've encountered is my dad, and that's because as a good old fashioned anti-establishment hippie, something about it just doesn't sit right with him. I haven't figured out what it is yet...

If you'd rather not discuss it, that's fine, I just wanted to ask. :D
    Father, husband, dog lover, engineer, Nikon shooter
    My site 365 Project
  • Options
    KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    I'd rather not thread-jack, so perhaps after the bi-weekly discussion thread has passed its lifespan we can delve deeper into it if need be. You could chalk it all up to plain, old weirdness and that would be just fine too. rolleyes1.gif
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • Options
    BlurmoreBlurmore Registered Users Posts: 992 Major grins
    My blog is professional, it was personal and professional...but I barely have time to post professional stuff. I do NOT maintain a like page or business page on FB but I have registered one for my business...just never completed setting it up. I add clients as friends if they want to be added and I have a special gallery where I post best ofs and tag them. I don't really pull any punches on my FB, OCCASIONALLY if I get really political in a post I will hide the post from my clients, and people in "the biz" list (you DO have friends lists right) but for the most part, I'm an open book. My bet is that most people who are diametrically opposed to my political beliefs don't want me to shoot their wedding anyway, and I feel likewise. My wife thinks I should have a separate FB entity and I agree, but I have NO time to administer it. I have a few very high profile photographer friends who only have a personal FB entity and they are doing fine.
  • Options
    mmmattmmmatt Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited September 17, 2010
    Wow... I'm a lazy blogger and facebooker so I pulled the link to my blog down and don't have clients on my fb page. Some clients are friends first and that is different. I do have a like page. I like to keep my private life separate. I bartend 1 or 2 nights a week for extra $ in the winter and an excuse to get out during the summer and I don't tell clients that I do that. I'm honestly not ashamed of anything I do but clients who hire me do so for reasons I don't necessarily fully understand, and to invite them into my personal life could change that. I prefer they make assumptions about me personally instead of trying to interprate my pictures and tageed photos from friends that are there to give me a hard time... I am not a fan of watching my p's and q's, and my closest friends aren't either!!!

I most definitely hang out with all of my clients. I meet with them typically for coffee at the contract meeting, I almost always do an e-shoot which is typically at golden hour and often followed up with a couple of drinks. I also meet all of my clients after I am done with the editing and usually that is for drinks as well. I'm usually buying but they slip a round or two in on me if they are persistent. Most clients are trying to get me to have a drink with them at the reception but I never drink until the camera is put away. I am often coerced into a drink or two at the reception once the camera is stowed however. The FB and blog stuff may be good but it is no substitute for face to face IMHO... both would be best! I follow up with my clients too and I call many of them friends. They occasionally ask if I want to meet them out for a few out of the blue just to hang out. I genuinely like the majority of my clients and enjoy spending time with them.

Matt
    My Smugmug site

Bodies: Canon 5d mkII, 5d, 40d
    Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes