Options

weathproof cameras and lenses?

dantambokdantambok Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
edited November 1, 2010 in Cameras
I have a canon 7D, a 580ex II and I`m buying a canon 100mm 2.8L IS USM macro lens. I`ve read that they are weatherproof and I just want to know how weatherproof they really are?:huh
Canon 7D, 450D, 50mm 1.8, 50mm 1.2, Mp-e 65mm, 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM, Canon 100mm f/2.8L macro IS USM, 580exII, some sigma lenses:D

Comments

• Options
    Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2010
    http://canonfieldreviews.com/7d-1-weather-sealing/

dantambok wrote: »
    I have a canon 7D, a 580ex II and I`m buying a canon 100mm 2.8L IS USM macro lens. I`ve read that they are weatherproof and I just want to know how weatherproof they really are?eek7.gif
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,851 moderator
    edited August 29, 2010
    All "normal" cameras, lenses and flashes are at best of a "watershed" design. The only "waterproof" designs are underwater rated equipment, and none of the Canon dSLRs are rated for underwater use. (They all require a separate and optional underwater case for underwater use.)

An underwater case is also indicated for any large amount of water hitting the camera under pressure.

Most Canon lenses that are water-resistant/environment sealed, require a sealed front filter to complete the environmental sealing.

Extra protection is indicated for any environment with more than a drizzle of rain and/or dust and/or salt-water spray.

The Canon 7D does not have the same level of environmental sealing as the 1D/1Ds series cameras, which have the best seals and gaskets and the best watershed rating of the Canon line.

All cameras require maintenance to insure that the seals are intact and working properly.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2010
    I'm not sure if this helps you, but the Nikon D300 and 24-70 2.8 are both considered "weatherproof." I've shot in the rain with the 300 without a care in the world and things worked out ok.

304_7974.jpg
    304_8004.jpg

However, a few hours after these shots were taken, my D300 started acting really weird in Program "P" mode, and the more annoying problem was that the release mode was set to "mirror lockup" regardless of what I told the camera to do, so I had to hit the shutter button twice for every photo. But the camera still worked to some extent until I could get it serviced. It was acting like there was some sort of software failure. Nikon replaced the shutter and alot of other stuff to inside. The 24-70 still worked fine though.

So hope this gives you an idea of what the camera makers mean when they say "weather proof."
  • Options
    chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 771 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2010
    Dan7312 wrote: »

Impressive review of the Canon high-end range. This kind of weather proofing will do me.
  • Options
    DigicDigic Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited September 16, 2010
    I wouldn't depend on Canon's "weatherproof" claims to seriously! I took my 5DMkII out on a blustery rainy day on the coast a few weeks back and deliberately hung it over my shoulder for half an hour rather than put it in the bag, just to see what the sealing was like. (I know.. I'm nuts). It was protected from direct rain and wind by my side but as soon as I got to the cafe, I realised the little toggle control on the back had stopped working. The next day it was fine and I was relieved!
    I since heard from a friend who went on a trip with a bunch of other photographers somewhere wet and windy and he said there was about an 80% camera failure rate amongst the Canon users compared to none on the Nikon side. I think this is a pretty poor show.
    I was dissapointed in my own experience as I have exposed both my "un-sealed" 20D's to the same environment without any problems.

Needless to say... I'm going to treat the 5D as if it were not weathersealed from now on!

Si.
  • Options
    20DNoob20DNoob Registered Users Posts: 318 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2010
    Sell the 7D and get a 1 series and never worry again.

I've been hit by waves from the tail end of hurricanes at the ocean, and covered in dust standing ringside at bull riding events. Both times I grabbed some water(ocean was about a ½ gallon and the rodeo was about a liter) and gave the rigs a bath. I've been stuck in the rain from light sprinkles to something that resembles a south pacific monsoon and both my 1s' keep on keepin' on.
    Christian.

5D2/1D MkII N/40D and a couple bits of glass.
  • Options
    Glenn NKGlenn NK Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2010
    I've been using the KATA R-702 rain jacket on my cams.

http://www.kata-bags.com/productFRM2HS.asp?p_Id=229&Version=Photo

It fits all the common DSLR bodies with lenses up to a 200 mm or so in length. There are attachments available to adapt it to the really long teles.

Glenn
    "There is nothing that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and he who considers price only is that man’s lawful prey". John Ruskin 1819 - 1900
  • Options
    dantambokdantambok Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited September 19, 2010
    my bad.. what i actually meant is how "weather-sealed' are they? xD
    Canon 7D, 450D, 50mm 1.8, 50mm 1.2, Mp-e 65mm, 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM, Canon 100mm f/2.8L macro IS USM, 580exII, some sigma lenses:D
  • Options
    Glenn NKGlenn NK Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
    edited September 19, 2010
    Dan7312 wrote: »

Very interesting and informative.

This should answer the OP's question. I can't afford to and don't need to submit my gear to this type of weather, so I use the raincoat in even the lightest rains.

G
    "There is nothing that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and he who considers price only is that man’s lawful prey". John Ruskin 1819 - 1900
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited September 20, 2010
    I read an article written by a photographer who travels to Antarctica. I believe Canon as well as other mfg provide him with some equipment to use in that environment.

I don't know where the article is, but here is a photo from the article.

Sam
  • Options
    insanefredinsanefred Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    Unless environmental seals are covered by the manufactures warranty and will fix a damaged camera from moisture .. It is not sealed enough, period.

Use a plastic bag, wipe off promptly, and get insurance.
  • Options
    run_kmcrun_kmc Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins
    Olympus reps used to pour bottles of water over E-3s when that camera came out.

It's a fun party trick, I guess.
  • Options
    ysr612ysr612 Registered Users Posts: 148 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2010
    I have just added a canon d10 to short list of cameras. It is a snorkeling camera not for diving but good for 10 meters down. The under water pictures from any camera are more limited by the water then they are by the camera. I am just learning to use it and am not a really good snorkeler.

1066617172_Uqu3e-L.jpg
  • Options
    misterbmisterb Banned Posts: 601 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2010
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A15MgHHS_M8

The E-5 is also weatherproof...