Options

mc9 - cunundrum

dlsdls Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
edited September 20, 2010 in The Dgrin Challenges
This has been a rather difficult theme for me. Have been racking my brain for a picture/composite for the past week, and experimenting with some surreal time lapse shots. Thankfully, I have the extreme fortune of being in a unique setting that offered some amazing photographic opportunities a couple days ago. But now, I can't seem to decide which is more appropriate for the Deja Vu theme, and if it is on theme. Possibly it is just hunting for the right title. Anyways, just wondering what everyone's thoughts and preferences are...

1. "Your whole life is a rehearsal for the moment you are in now." ~Judith Malina
1013151901_mj26k-M.jpg

2. "This life's five windows of the soul. Distort the heavens from pole to pole. And teach us to believe a lie. When we see with, not through, the eye." ~William Blake
1013150226_onaBo-M.jpg

thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited September 19, 2010
    Wow! :jawdrop I have always wanted to see the Aurora.

For the challenge, I think the first is more on theme. I absolutely love the 2nd.
  • Options
    ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    WhatSheSaw wrote: »
    Wow! :jawdrop I have always wanted to see the Aurora.

For the challenge, I think the first is more on theme. I absolutely love the 2nd.

I agee and double :jawdrop:jawdrop!!!!!!
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    Wow, what beautiful images!

Where did you find the Aurora?
    - I am right now in Labrador (Canada) and wanted to see it, but
    I was told that they can only be seen in the winter...
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    kidzmomkidzmom Registered Users Posts: 828 Major grins
    Just wonderful!! I adore #2 and think you could draw the theme out of the literal intepretation of deja vu for the reflection---ie the sky and the reflection are nearly identical (= already seen). I went for both a literal and artistic interpretation for my entry as well. I think reflections can work well for this theme...and this particular reflection shot is TOP NOTCH!!! A+ work :)
  • Options
    SeascapeSSeascapeS Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    Nice job!
    SandiZ
    If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera. ~Lewis Hine
    http://sandizphotos-seascapes.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    indiegirlindiegirl Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    Holy Smokes! I like the first for the challenge. The quotes don't sell the shot for me, I'd go with something more simple for the title.

The second one is a triple-winner-chicken-dinner.
  • Options
    banditbandit Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    Absolute spectaculer.
    thank you so much for sharing this with us.
    i am not 2 fond of number 1 around the edges look a bit to fakeish for my liking.
    number 2 is just amazing pure beauty lovely colours and reflection well done
    Just a normal guy who see's eveything as one big picture (just wish my memory card was big enough lol)
  • Options
    slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,200 Major grins
    I love, love, love, LOVE #2, but I think #1 would fit the challenge theme better. I agree with the suggestion to select a simpler title.

Awesome work!

Congrats.

Sherry
  • Options
    BendrBendr Registered Users Posts: 665 Major grins
    Beautiful Pictures! Loving them!
  • Options
    edited September 20, 2010
    Thanks everyone for the input the words of encouragement. Now comes the hard part in deciding between a more appealing picture/comp versus one that is more on theme.
  • Options
    edited September 20, 2010
    photo-bug wrote: »
    Wow, what beautiful images!

Where did you find the Aurora?
    - I am right now in Labrador (Canada) and wanted to see it, but
    I was told that they can only be seen in the winter...

I am in the Alaskan city of Kotzebue, which is 33 mi above the arctic circle. I had wondered the same thing myself regarding the aurora being visible only in the winter. I guess they can occur year round, depending upon its strength and how the dark the sky would be. I am certain they would be visible in Labrador with your northerly lattitude (52), although it would need to a large solar flare for them to go down to your area. Keep an eye out for the aurora forecasts. I usually check the website for the Geophysical Institute (www.gedds.alaska.edu/auroraforecast/), which forecasts the lights for Alaska. I suspect they should be applicable to Newfoundland, and am certain there are other academic institutes in Canada that might forecast specifically for your region. Good luck and have fun oogling the stars!

(and shooting the light are sooooooo much more enjoyable in the non-winter months)